largest known prime number discoverd

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:53 am

Consider...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... hould.html

Now, just out of curiosity, in the context of "all there is", how important is this? Why is it "incredibly exciting"?

Oh, and in the context of the lives that we live from day to day...any implications to note here?

And let me assure you that this seems rather far, far, far removed from dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

Unless of course I'm wrong. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby Kriswest » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:35 pm

From the article it seems it has no use yet just potential for encryption. It is exciting for those involved in that. It could potentially protect your online wealth or keep you hidden from enemies. Frankly I would like to have a beer with the team that worked on this. Just to see what kind of personalities they have.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
User avatar
Kriswest
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 20508
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:26 pm
Location: stuck in permanent maternal mode.

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby James S Saint » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Kriswest wrote:Frankly I would like to have a beer with the team that worked on this. Just to see what kind of personalities they have.

:lol:

..sounds too much like something that I would do. 8)
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:39 pm

Kriswest wrote:From the article it seems it has no use yet just potential for encryption. It is exciting for those involved in that. It could potentially protect your online wealth or keep you hidden from enemies. Frankly I would like to have a beer with the team that worked on this. Just to see what kind of personalities they have.


Good point. There is practically nothing at all that some folks won't get excited about --- discovering a new beetle, for example, or inventing a new definition -- so who am I to spoil it for them.

Still, you know me. If dasein and conflicting goods aren't applicable [and I can't imagine how they ever could be here] how really important can it be?

And what the hell did Marx know about prime numbers? :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:48 pm

iambiguous wrote:Consider...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... hould.html

Now, just out of curiosity, in the context of "all there is", how important is this? Why is it "incredibly exciting"?

Oh, and in the context of the lives that we live from day to day...any implications to note here?

And let me assure you that this seems rather far, far, far removed from dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

Unless of course I'm wrong. :wink:



Just wait until they discover one that's larger. It won't be in OUR lifetimes, mind you; but I'm sure it's somewhere down the road.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Random Factor wrote:
Just wait until they discover one that's larger. It won't be in OUR lifetimes, mind you; but I'm sure it's somewhere down the road.


Or: Perhaps God Himself might deign to provide us with the largest prime number.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:54 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:
Just wait until they discover one that's larger. It won't be in OUR lifetimes, mind you; but I'm sure it's somewhere down the road.


Or: Perhaps God Himself might deign to provide us with the largest prime number.


But don't numbers just keep going for as long as you choose to count them? I could be wrong on this theory, but that does seem to be the case.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Random Factor wrote:But don't numbers just keep going for as long as you choose to count them? I could be wrong on this theory, but that does seem to be the case.


Hmm. When it comes to God, aren't all bets off here? You know, if He does in fact exist. :-k
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:01 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:But don't numbers just keep going for as long as you choose to count them? I could be wrong on this theory, but that does seem to be the case.


Hmm. When it comes to God, aren't all bets off here? You know, if He does in fact exist. :-k


You would think so, but apparently all bets are still on, since God is refusing to gamble with those that try to renege.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:11 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Perhaps God Himself might deign to provide us with the largest prime number

The set of all primes is an infinite one and so the largest one just does not exist
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Random Factor wrote:You would think so, but apparently all bets are still on, since God is refusing to gamble with those that try to renege.


And you know this for a fact...how?

In, for example, the manner in which mathematicians know for a fact what a prime number is?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:14 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:You would think so, but apparently all bets are still on, since God is refusing to gamble with those that try to renege.


And you know this for a fact...how?

In, for example, the manner in which mathematicians know for a fact what a prime number is?


I'm wondering more about how many times it took them to prove that the new prime number was actually a prime number. Those had to be exciting times, lol.

I believe myself to be God incarnate in the flesh, obviously, that's how.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:22 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Perhaps God Himself might deign to provide us with the largest prime number

The set of all primes is an infinite one and so the largest one just does not exist


Well, that sounds like something only God would know...objectively. Like, for example, how reality itself came into existence in order that we can discuss prime numbers at all.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:24 pm

iambiguous wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Perhaps God Himself might deign to provide us with the largest prime number

The set of all primes is an infinite one and so the largest one just does not exist


Well, that sounds like something only God would know...objectively. Like, for example, how reality itself came into existence in order that we can discuss prime numbers at all.


I wonder if there's an Optimus Prime number.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Random Factor wrote:
I believe myself to be God incarnate in the flesh, obviously, that's how.



....and so another exchange bites the dust at ILP.

The Kids.

They've taken over!! :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:28 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:
I believe myself to be God incarnate in the flesh, obviously, that's how.



....and so another exchange bites the dust at ILP.

The Kids.

They've taken over!! :wink:


It's not that kids are getting smarter; it's that adults are getting dumber. True story.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Random Factor wrote:
It's not that kids are getting smarter; it's that adults are getting dumber. True story.


No, no, no...not kids.

The Kids.

The Kids are the intellectual equivalent of juvenile delinquents. They post dozens and dozens of times a day here hell bent on making a mockery of any and all actual substantive exchanges in or around the vicinity of, say, philosophy. And, sure, I can be one of them myself at times. But no way am I in their league. They are, after all, the ones that have stampeded the folks who once came to ILP in order to actually get away from the sort of clamorous drivel they spew.

And, indeed, more than one of them has claimed to be God.

Unless, of course, I'm wrong.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:18 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:
It's not that kids are getting smarter; it's that adults are getting dumber. True story.


No, no, no...not kids.

The Kids.

The Kids are the intellectual equivalent of juvenile delinquents. They post dozens and dozens of times a day here hell bent on making a mockery of any and all actual substantive exchanges in or around the vicinity of, say, philosophy. And, sure, I can be one of them myself at times. But no way am I in their league. They are, after all, the ones that have stampeded the folks who once came to ILP in order to actually get away from the sort of clamorous drivel they spew.

And, indeed, more than one of them has claimed to be God.

Unless, of course, I'm wrong.


I actually respect you, for the moment. I don't put much thought into things, but when you posted on my thread in the ranthouse, I realized a couple things about how you conduct yourself and that gave me a moments respect for you compared to others here. I'm pretty sure that at least one other person here has claimed to be God and certainly many other people in my life that I have encountered have claimed the same, but I don't take them very seriously. Even if we are all God to some extent or another, there is a very big difference between that and being THE God that certain things talk about. And then again, there are many Gods in existence, not just in our own reality but scattered throughout the omniverse/omnireality. Perhaps there are retards even amongst the Godly ranks. It would stand to reason.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Random Factor wrote:I actually respect you, for the moment. I don't put much thought into things, but when you posted on my thread in the ranthouse, I realized a couple things about how you conduct yourself and that gave me a moments respect for you compared to others here. I'm pretty sure that at least one other person here has claimed to be God and certainly many other people in my life that I have encountered have claimed the same, but I don't take them very seriously. Even if we are all God to some extent or another, there is a very big difference between that and being THE God that certain things talk about. And then again, there are many Gods in existence, not just in our own reality but scattered throughout the omniverse/omnireality. Perhaps there are retards even amongst the Godly ranks. It would stand to reason.



Sure, but God has only ever been a contraption that exists in our heads. The Kids on the other hand are very, very real.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:36 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:I actually respect you, for the moment. I don't put much thought into things, but when you posted on my thread in the ranthouse, I realized a couple things about how you conduct yourself and that gave me a moments respect for you compared to others here. I'm pretty sure that at least one other person here has claimed to be God and certainly many other people in my life that I have encountered have claimed the same, but I don't take them very seriously. Even if we are all God to some extent or another, there is a very big difference between that and being THE God that certain things talk about. And then again, there are many Gods in existence, not just in our own reality but scattered throughout the omniverse/omnireality. Perhaps there are retards even amongst the Godly ranks. It would stand to reason.



Sure, but God has only ever been a contraption that exists in our heads. The Kids on the other hand are very, very real.



Perhaps, or perhaps that contraption is no contraption and has long since been its own sentient entity that exists just as much as we do, though not in any physically manifest way that people would accept.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Random Factor wrote:Perhaps, or perhaps that contraption is no contraption and has long since been its own sentient entity that exists just as much as we do, though not in any physically manifest way that people would accept.


Then we are back to this...

"And we can know this for a fact...how?"

Now, with regard to the Kids, what we can't know for a fact is who they are. Instead, all we can know for sure is that "I" believe that they exist here. That "I" believe they have inundated ILP of late with all manner of clamorous claptrap that have driven folks more inclined to take philosophy, say, seriously, to other forums.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:09 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:Perhaps, or perhaps that contraption is no contraption and has long since been its own sentient entity that exists just as much as we do, though not in any physically manifest way that people would accept.


Then we are back to this...

"And we can know this for a fact...how?"

Now, with regard to the Kids, what we can't know for a fact is who they are. Instead, all we can know for sure is that "I" believe that they exist here. That "I" believe they have inundated ILP of late with all manner of clamorous claptrap that have driven folks more inclined to take philosophy, say, seriously, to other forums.


Well, at a certain point, you'd have to believe in the idea that this 'God' does step into the flesh from time to time, so to speak and chooses certain casings of flesh to do this with based on several varying factors of merit and trust that those casings of flesh, while fallible, may be the closest fleshly representatives of the being that is known as God.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby iambiguous » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Random Factor wrote:Well, at a certain point, you'd have to believe in the idea that this 'God' does step into the flesh from time to time, so to speak and chooses certain casings of flesh to do this with based on several varying factors of merit and trust that those casings of flesh, while fallible, may be the closest fleshly representatives of the being that is known as God.


Why would one have to believe this if there is no substantive evidence in which to support the fact of it?

Believing something "in your head" and demonstrating that all rational men and women are obligated to believe it in turn are two very different things.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27365
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:32 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Random Factor wrote:Well, at a certain point, you'd have to believe in the idea that this 'God' does step into the flesh from time to time, so to speak and chooses certain casings of flesh to do this with based on several varying factors of merit and trust that those casings of flesh, while fallible, may be the closest fleshly representatives of the being that is known as God.


Why would one have to believe this if there is no substantive evidence in which to support the fact of it?

Believing something "in your head" and demonstrating that all rational men and women are obligated to believe it in turn are two very different things.


Yet you believe in God regardless. You just don't believe religions take on it. Do you not curse God here and there? Have you never asked God for help? So, the phrase 'you would have to' would apply to that on some level. You took what I said out of context, though. At the point of believing in God, then you would have to believe just what I said you would have to. Simply because in all terms of reality and what we know of psychology and everything else, if God exists, then such would have to happen based on so much other supporting evidence, such as the phrase that we were made in Gods image and if we are fallible, prone to temptation, etc., etc., then so, too, would God be.

I never said you were obligated to believe in any of it, but you definitely felt obligated to sit there and think I was cramming it down your throat anyway, pushing your negative and pessimistic viewpoints on me, your faulty arguments on me, etc., without any rational thought on the subject whatsoever, based solely in what you feel, your unstable emotionality. Yet, you claim all people who don't believe in God to be rational, when there is overwhelming evidence that this is not the case, given the condition of the world around us that they make worse just the same as people do who believe outright and publicly in God.

And how can I prove that you believe in God? I can't; I have no evidence to support this other than the circumstantial evidence that you are no different than so many others who have actually written their own personal testimonies of how they came to actually believe in God, whether they accepted any one persons or groups perception of God, and many have stated that they do believe in God and yet disagree with religion. It's not religion that I'm cramming down your throat, but the reality of the belief if approached reasonably and rationally by accepting very disturbing facts about people, facts that they'd rather not face or only face the disturbing aspects thereof.

This has gotten slightly off-topic from Prime Numbers, yet you guided it this way and I won't sit there and let you bring forth an irrational argument against what I believe; not that I have to let you; you did that of your own free will. However, when I say 'I won't let you', I don't mean it that way, but in the sense that I won't let you get away with smearing the very strong possibility that I'm right just because you want to be unreasonable about it.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: largest known prime number discoverd

Postby Moreno » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:48 pm

iambiguous wrote:Sure, but God has only ever been a contraption that exists in our heads.

Just so you know...you wrote this. Honest for a moment.
User avatar
Moreno
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10305
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Next

Return to Science, Technology, and Math



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users