Possible to dodge a bullet?

In the game Time Crisis, players shoot at opponents on screen and take turns dodging bullets. Is this possible in real life?

A handgun bullet travelling at 800 fps would take 1/13th of a second to reach someone at 60 feet away (20 yards.)
The average human hand reflex is 120-150 ms. Presumably, the neck reflex would be much quicker than that, because it is much closer to the brain. In addiction, in Time Crisis the game shows you a red laser when you are targetted. So, the red laser would give you even more time to react.
Dodging a headshot from 20 yards away from a handgun would be fairly trivial.

So yes, you can easily dodge a single handgun bullet, if it is from 60 feet or farther away. However, higher velocity rounds require more distance to dodge.

Pretty sure you’re wrong about this one.

In real life, those very few who can actually dodge a bullet, do so by intuitively sensing (“listening to the affectance resonance”) when the trigger is getting pulled. They actually begin moving before the bullet does.

Sim Rounds are real bullets fired from real guns, just the bolt is switched so it fires them at lower velocities. You can sometimes see them, hear them whiz by. I’ve dodged them before, it’s not a impressive feat. I’m sure if you had a baseball bat you may even Jedi Wack them.

But no, a normal velocity bullet, once fired, if your reacting to the sound, can’t be dodged. You can however, dodge the guesstimated trajectory of further shots.

Nope, nothing embedded in dasein here. :wink:

Shooting a Existentialist? Ummm… you bring a interesting dimension to this argument Iambigious.

If we brought ten existentialist into the trees, deep into Vietnam, and unleashed The Predator on them, would it qualify as philosophy?

Why wait for him to pull the trigger? Hitting a moving target is easily 10x more difficult than hitting a stationary one, depending on speed and direction of the target. If the target is coming straight at you, this may not be any more difficult than hitting a stationary target. But take a person running at right angles to your direction of fire: You’d have to be something of a marksman to make such a shot. As with a stationary target, the farther away your target is, the more accurate your aim has to be. But with a moving target, a closer target may not be that much easier, because you have to move your hand more quickly to follow the target, which also makes it harder to aim.

You have a better chance by being moving target only if you are taking chances. Why try to guess where he might be aiming when you already know? Just don’t be there at the wrong moment. It’s better to give him a false target than to take the chance that he might accidentally catch you running.

James, knock it off with the psuedo-science of intuitive geometry. This isn’t the movie Equilibrium.

Its cover, concealment, suppression, or keep moving. Don’t be bringing in hypothetical geometrics to the basic principles of 7-8. You tarded enough discussions with make believe, no need to do it here.

If people start shooting at you, follow one of the four above, don’t be dancing along some geometric theory of a shooter’s Point of the Prince behavioral assumptions… they will fucking nail your ass despite your clear proofs and long deliberations otherwise. You will just fucking die, if you try anything else. Take it from any former infantryman on this site… it’s what we always were taught, it’s what works. It will keep you alive.

Really? And I thought I was just hijacking the thread.

Sorry, Trixie. I’m outta here. :wink:

“Intuitive geometry”??
Are you confusing me with PE?

I have nothing to do with geometry. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Try not to be a fucking retard. If you have any rational objection to any theory that I have proposed, just say it and stop this pissing off your roof at people and things you know nothing of BS. Of course, that might require that you actually think rather than merely read and imaginatively regurgitate.

Just because you play the constant con, doesn’t mean everyone does.

No one on this thread asked for the best advice for how to dodge a bullet. It was merely asked if it was possible. It has been filmed. It is possible. It was measured that the Buddhist monk began his dodge before the gun was actually fired. End of story.

As I said before, you seriously should be writing spy novels and put that imagination of yours to good use.

Yeah, that’s the bullshit from the movie Equilibrium. I don’t have a problem with any one theory if your, but all of your theories, they get dumber and dumber, and you moo the fuck through debates, talking over the disqualifications like they aren’t even there, with anyine with a IQ low enough not to register the criticism willing to carry on with you.

What your discussing us taught by NO infantry course in the face of the planet. Its massive bullshit that will draw a mix of blank and incredulous faces by any group of grunts receiving this wisdom, and I’m sure they will inquire into whether or not he us qualified to teach a class on MOUT, or went through basic training, or even was actually even in the military, or just found a uniform at Goodwill and snuck on base for a day of dress up.

I reiterate:

Cover
Concealment
Suppression
Keep Moving

That is the underlining principles of every drill in 7-8, the US Infantry Bible, as well as the Ranger Handbook.

The ability of a enemy rifleman, or even someone with just a revolver, to track and nail your ass shouldn’t be underestimated. Its only difficult to shoot a moving target if your not experienced, and I’ve seen guys consistently nail them.

Every infantry movement involves a aspect of those four elements in attack and defence, period. Nothing else.

The shooter only has to move the gun very little to nail your ass if the first shot or two misses. US methods of dropping and rolling only work when concealment is around… I’ve seen movies, like Rambo 4 where the idiots stormed a field below a field doing that retarded shit against a machine gun position, doesn’t work… Hollywood didn’t grasp the concealment aspectm… they we’re better off with suppression and bounding over watch… which are the basics of 7-8 and the Ranger Handbook.

Had someone brought up a Buddhist monk in a training course, back when I was in the army, we would of just gone back to the barracks, let the Major come figure out why we’re all abandoned the hocus locus course and mass prosecute us.

It turns into “The Men Who Stares At Goats” scenario very quick.

It doesn’t have anything to do with any movie. That is YOUR means of discovery, not mine.

How in the fuck would you know? You haven’t even attempted to actually argue or debate anything. You just jump in and start trying to berate on topics that you haven’t even the slightest knowledge about.

Of course it’s not, you Dumbshit. No army is teaching people to be monks.

But again, I reiterate:
NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR ADVICE ON HOW TO DODGE A BULLET.

“Don’t Try This At Home”

But the best advice is to simply not be in front of the gun.

I should note, you can dodge Artillery. I’m told it has a distinctive whistle… anyone NOT in the direct point of impact can hear it… goal is to move away… if your unlucky enough NOT to hear it, seeing everyone run in every direction away from you, know your fucked.

US army generally teaches if you can tell the direction it’s coming from, run towards it’s Point of Origin. There will be infantry supporting it, but generally not that many, and it’s far better to be nested in close range where artillery can’t get you than afar.

In regards to mortars, I never could tell the whistle and direction, when they hit nearby it was just explosions, closely timed to the bomb of the explosion that I couldn’t tell the difference.

And the US Army does teach soldier to be Monks… I took a course on Haditha Yoga by a occultist in Alaska, was supposed to be a Communications course via a Texas University (she flew up from Seattle), and we have a book.series on monastic techniques retrospective the guidance of field manuals and US military experience, one book called ‘The Tiger’s Way’… was sold on every infantry base during the Bush Administration, used to work for TRADOC. You can’t make that up… but his knowledge, however hypothetical, didn’t violate known scientific practices.

We got it down so far we were worried about the effects of Weak and Strong Nuclear forces causing barrelingeffects on bullets shot along wall… so we we’re told never to stand by walls… but thus never effected the emphasis on the four principles I’ve listed… it’s entrained in every infantry movement and formation, near universal across warfare. I can only think of a few exceptions, and it’s debatable if even they are off the hook.

“Go James, go James!” I mean, “Go Turd, go Turd!” :violence-smack:

And those are the principles for gorilla tactics, not dodging bullets.

If Turd is going to pick a fight, he needs to find someone his own size … if they come that small.

Oh, more bullshit. They are not teaching anyone to BE a monk. They merely show some monk techniques that have been effective.

Oh, give it a break. And you try to talk about ME using fantasy theories … geeez.

Iambig… were you the one who shot at the said monk… I recall you said you were in Vietnam.

Yeah… my only complaints against those four basic principles would be misdirection and traps/ambushes, but that’s solvable with a change of language, I don’t think the actual behavior guided by the former vocabulary would change.

During WW1 there was a effort to push camoflague away from cover and concealment to misdirection… battleships would be painted paradoxically, so as to confuse bombers and enemy ships into hitting strong points. Akido is based on this.

Formlessness via disinformation can also be applied… but I’m not convinced it’s really different or I should say, alienated from cover and concealment, or suppression or movement… it can be present in any, not I dependent of the act. Just… given our emphasis on by the book, orthodox engineering of formations and fixed positions, we don’t really get that deep anymore unless it’s throwing some wooden crates or dirt over a giving position. Snipers don’t really, but scouts do… especially masking heat signatures or making false ones, but… then again that is cover and concealment, your getting inside of someones ability to Orient and Observe, controlling their reaction cycle.

Same for kinds of fixed traps, like Heron of Byzantium… but even then, in regards to the relativity of depositional warfare, getting someone to fall for a trap involve a play on cover and concealment, movement. You gotta get them into position.

A adaptation of language us more needed than a elimination of four terms, as they can’t be divorced from them. Its hard to separate a noun and a verb when tactical principles are being discussed.

Intuitively knowing extrasensory isn’t legit. You can try the dropping ruler test to know better.

Put a ruler in your hand, and drop it, catching it in the other. You catch it pretty fast.

Put the ruler in another persons hand, try to catch it, you catch it with a greater delay. The hearing of a trigger cracking is far, far too close in relation to the bullet going off, I don’t need to see a video to know he wasn’t moving from a trigger squeeze but was moving cause he decided it was time to move… it’s purely coincidental we can measure a sound of a trigger to movement, our neurons and ability to mske reflective decisions, much less conscious ones, isnt that fast, we are not Jedi. Period. No Ifs Ands Or Buts.

The rules for basic training come heavily from The Rule of St. Benedict, some unchanged. You got a cloister of sexless men living together, so yeah, everyone gets a degree of monk training.

Second, it’s Guerilla, not Gorilla, and no… Swat Teams use the same principles when storming a building (exact terminology changes per institution, seen it described all sorts of things) but it’s the same in Russia as China and the US.

Your arguing with someone who did this as his profession for four years. I’ll be very impressed if you can pull the carpet from under everyone on planet earth and prove every army and police force wrong.

Knock yourself out, try.

Just for the fun:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0Uyicx5JY[/youtube]

Of course, if you really want to improve, you need to have your neurology cleaned up first. Most people’s neurology has been slowed from normal healthy.

Your profession was dodging bullets, was it?
Yeah, right. :icon-rolleyes:

And then getting a little more real:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HoboXaYI6k[/youtube]