Riddles

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Re: Riddles

Postby phoneutria » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Hillary and Bill.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby Arminius » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:01 am

phoneutria wrote:Hillary and Bill.

Do you mean Hillary and Bill Clinton?

As Billary Clinton?

Do you have any evidence or even a solution process? :)
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Moreno » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 am

I think she's right. Weak evidence is that online image joiners are available and his nose is like the combined one. ARe there image separators online?
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Okay, here comes the "solution process":

Bill_&_Hillary_Clinton_becoming_Billary_Hilliam_Clinton.jpg
Bill_&_Hillary_Clinton_becoming_Billary_Hilliam_Clinton.jpg (255.92 KiB) Viewed 858 times

Bill and Hillary Clinton becoming => Billary Hilliam Clinton.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:38 am

Depicted Logic.

If ...:

N.gif
N.gif (21.46 KiB) Viewed 788 times

Then ...: how can we depict logic?
Last edited by Arminius on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:47 am

Two Numbers and Two Mathematicians.

Two natural numbers between 2 and 20 are selected. Mathematician S. knows the sum, mathematician P. the product. Both mathematicians know the lower limit of the two numbers, but not the upper limit.

S.: "I can not imagine that you can find out my sum."
P.: "Now I know your sum."
S: "Now I know your product."

What is the sum?
What is the product?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby chen_aavaz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Can I post a new one here?
Anna and Brian have a chocolate bar, which is scored into an 11 by 10 array of squares (11 columns x 10 rows). The players alternate turns to eat 1 to 3 squares at a time. Anna plays first and in each move she can eat squares only from one column, while Brian can eat squares from different columns, but at most one from each column. The player who eats the last square is the winner. If both players play perfectly, is there a winning strategy for any of the two? If yes, describe it!

I don't know the solution, but maybe we can start a discussion to find it together!
chen_aavaz

Postby chen_aavaz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 am

Arminius wrote:
phoneutria wrote:So your riddle is, there's 2 guys with 12 on their foreheads. What's on their foreheads?

.. 12, I know because... it's in the premise.

Are we having a natural language issue, robot?

Spi hider, .. ahem, ... hi spider.

No. The sum you gave as a solution was false. And you would have known this, if you had considered the premise. Therefore I reminded you of the peremise.

Your solution was the sum 27 (read your posts again), but the sum 27 is not possible as a solution, because the sum has to be 24. Do not think too much about what you would think if you were A and B, although it is not absolutely irrelevant. Remember what I said to you in this post. Or, ... wait ..., here comes the quote:

Arminius wrote:In the beginning A knows that (1) a = 12 or a = 15, and (2) B knows that b = 12 or b = 15.

Okay. But A does not know that B (2) knows, and B does not know that A (1) knows. So the statement above is not suited for the recursive conclusion.

But both A and B know all of the following statements and that each of them knows that the other one knows them:

(3) a = 24 - b or a = 27 - b and (4) b = 24 - a or b = 27 - a.

Now, from the first "no" of A and from (4) follows (5) b < 24, because if b >= 24, then A would be able to conclude a. This is the motor for the recursive conclusion.

Now, from the first "no" of B and from (3) and (5) follows (6) a > 3.

And so on.

You should go on with that. (7), (8), (9), ... and so on. Do you understand? If yes: Can you do that?

@Arminius: Can you please explain this: "Now, from the first "no" of A and from (4) follows (5) b < 24, because if b >= 24, then A would be able to conclude a."
I understand that if b >=24, the sum must be 27 (24 is not possible); therefore "a" can be 1 or 2. Why do you say that A would have concluded his number (since there are two possibilities)?
chen_aavaz

Previous

Return to Science, Technology, and Math