Peak oil and the end of modern industrial society.

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Re: Peak oil and the end of modern industrial society.

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:13 pm

obe wrote:What about cold fusion, and solar energy, wind turbines, power derived from river dams ? Technological leaps may increasingly utilize these with lessening loss of energy.

Well what about them??

1) Cold Fusion: does not work.
2) Solar energy: okay on a sunny day, but what about the rest of the world?
3) Wind Turbines: the most expensive form of energy. So calculations have them never replacing the energy devoted to their manufacture and maintenance. What happens when the oli runs out, and the plastics, resins and carbon fibres from OIL are no longer available?
4) River damns work really well. They also flood millions of acres of land, and tend to desiccate the lowlands.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Moreno » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:19 am

obe wrote:What about cold fusion?
The Cold fusion story is an interesting one. At first it was derided as ridiculous and generally not simply dismissed but ridiculed by the scientific Community. But the Navy, who had worked with Fleishman (I Think that's his name), one of the two original scientists, continued the research because they knew the guy was not a flake. It turns out that positive results have been found using processes like or similar to the original ones. Nothing dramatic and it is not clear even if heat Changes took Place, though some did get excess temperatures. But it is now utterly clear that nuclear processes were being created at room temperature. They know this because they put plastic slices in with the deuterium loaded palladium and they found that they were getting particle scattering just like in other kinds of nuclear reactions. This is astounding, new and of unclear potential as an energy source. Still people are researching it as an energy source, and are absolutely trying to understand and then Control how nuclear type reactions are being created through chemical means at low termperatures. Reading about the history of this I noted several things: scientists who did find they got excess heat had their careers destroyed - iow if some of their results confirmed the original experiments they were considered quacks along withe the original researchers, two MIT actually removed from their results the fact that they found surplus heat production because it was not sudden enough, according to them. But still it supported the original research and MIT was one of Three orgs that basically nailed the coffin shut on Cold fusion. They also do not call it Cold fusion these Days, being much more cautious, but it should be stressed something remarkable was found.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:55 am

Free energy is not allowed, else golden hand-cuffs won't bind.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:20 am

Moreno wrote:
obe wrote:What about cold fusion?
The Cold fusion story is an interesting one. At first it was derided as ridiculous and generally not simply dismissed but ridiculed by the scientific Community. But the Navy, who had worked with Fleishman (I Think that's his name), one of the two original scientists, continued the research because they knew the guy was not a flake. It turns out that positive results have been found using processes like or similar to the original ones. Nothing dramatic and it is not clear even if heat Changes took Place, though some did get excess temperatures. But it is now utterly clear that nuclear processes were being created at room temperature. They know this because they put plastic slices in with the deuterium loaded palladium and they found that they were getting particle scattering just like in other kinds of nuclear reactions. This is astounding, new and of unclear potential as an energy source. Still people are researching it as an energy source, and are absolutely trying to understand and then Control how nuclear type reactions are being created through chemical means at low termperatures. Reading about the history of this I noted several things: scientists who did find they got excess heat had their careers destroyed - iow if some of their results confirmed the original experiments they were considered quacks along withe the original researchers, two MIT actually removed from their results the fact that they found surplus heat production because it was not sudden enough, according to them. But still it supported the original research and MIT was one of Three orgs that basically nailed the coffin shut on Cold fusion. They also do not call it Cold fusion these Days, being much more cautious, but it should be stressed something remarkable was found.

Have you any reference to support this - there is so much rubbish in the Internet.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Moreno » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:52 am

No one is claiming this involves free energy. Poor read, James, best keep you on ignore. Ironically here James you are running along with the mainstream - which has not reported accurately at all on the original research and has not mentioned at all the continuation of the research by the navy and others. A number of the people doing this research had their careers destroyed, one guy, with hundreds of peer reviewed publications to his credit, simply for finding, in his repetition of the original research some excess heat. MIT even lied about their results and this was used to disprove the phenomenon. None of the current people - or really even the original researchers - were claiming it was free energy. Just as using oil as a source of energy is not free energy, though it can function like cheap energy - locally, and locally in time - as long as it lasts. The energy being locked in there, so to speak, and not put there by humans, who can, on the other hand, release it somewhat easily. Here however we seem to be dealing with chemical reactions leading to nuclear events, though very, very modest ones.

I got the information here..............

13 Things that Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time by Michael Brooks

he gives references to specific researchers/research in the book.
Moreno
ILP Legend

Postby Eric_The_Pipe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 pm

James S Saint wrote:Free energy is not allowed, else golden hand-cuffs won't bind.
There could be other possible reasons to not allow free energy. I've heard multiple people present the argument that the moment it is found is the moment we blow our selves up. Many Scientists worry about being the next creators of a nuclear bomb like device. One with unlimited energy instead of just a lot...

Moreno wrote:13 Things that Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time by Michael Brooks
I enjoyed that book.
“Give a man a fish and he will ask for tartar sauce and French fries! Moreover, some politician who wants his vote will declare all these things to be among his ‘basic rights’” – An old saying rewritten by a follower of Thomas Sowell

"It's true that the bastards would win. But we shouldn't shut down a system just because the bastards win. A good system should be like a hamster wheel for bastards hooked up an electric generator. A well designed system is not one that prevents bastards from winning, but one that generates a lot of positive externalities from bastards trying to beat each other. And that's exactly what markets do. Markets entice bastards, they reward bastards, and the bastards love them, but as they operate they generate a lot of good that inadvertently benefits everyone else." - Carleas

The Newest EconPop: Economics of Demolition Man

The man, Thomas Sowell: Wealth, Poverty and Politics

Sowell's Writing
Eric_The_Pipe
Thinker

Postby James S Saint » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Eric_The_Pipe wrote:
James S Saint wrote:Free energy is not allowed, else golden hand-cuffs won't bind.
There could be other possible reasons to not allow free energy. I've heard multiple people present the argument that the moment it is found is the moment we blow our selves up. Many Scientists worry about being the next creators of a nuclear bomb like device. One with unlimited energy instead of just a lot...

Free energy devices have been around for decades. The device that "blows everyone up" is the black-hole devices created for power, not energy (power being the concentration of the energy).
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else

It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".

Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby LaughingMan » Thu May 01, 2014 6:52 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Eric_The_Pipe wrote:

Free energy devices have been around for decades. The device that "blows everyone up" is the black-hole devices created for power, not energy (power being the concentration of the energy).

Evidence? That's right, you have none other than unverifiable websites and YouTube videos.
Coming Out Live Streaming Online From The Global Gulag, Asylum, Police State, And Oligarchical Plantation Near You.

LaughingMan
Cynical Asshole

Postby Lev Muishkin » Thu May 01, 2014 11:25 pm

I once knew a guy that believed that you could add a device to a car engine, which made it possible to run the car on tap water rather than petroleum.
Those 'evil' oil companies has suppressed the development of such devices, and so everyone was forced to pay the exorbitant prices for petrol at the pumps!

These and all such "free energy" devices presumably have all been suppressed to further the vested interests of the multinational protectors of the status quo.

What a wicked world we live in.

Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Tyler Durden wrote:That's right, you have none other than unverifiable websites and YouTube videos.

And "unverifiable" means "anything I don't believe" which is determined by normalcy bias and mainstream media.

In my particular case (which I don't even discuss), in 1972 during the "we need energy" false flag, I personally designed what I thought was the first truly perpetual energy source, only to discover that a few others had come even before me in other ways but buried under a hell of a lot of obfuscation and demonizing (largely by displaying silly efforts of morons in order to promote disrespect for all efforts - a common method for hiding a truth). I suspect that I still hold the most ecological design.
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 am

The "first truly perpetual energy source"?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Lev Muishkin » Tue May 06, 2014 9:53 am

I wonder if JS Saint is going to let us all know about his perpetual energy machine so we can all invest in it?

Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Arminius wrote:Peak oil is not based on scientific knowledge, but primarily on speculation, and when it comes to speculation, lies are immediately at work, whereby the wealth and therefore the power of the ruler of the world is increased.

Incidentally, it is possible that oil is an inorganic product. If this is true, then it is also true that peak oil is a lie.

Most "scientists" are no more scientists because of their involvement in corruption and their opportunistic behavior due to the censorship of the rulers. Who is brave and wants to remain scientists, is soon released and exposed to impoverishment.

If it is true that oil and natural gasoline are more inorganic than organic products, then it is also true that peak oil is a lie and the energy source will as long exist as the planet Earth.

In that case we merely would have to eliminate the lie. The lie is a problem humans can't resolve.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Tue May 06, 2014 6:27 pm

If it is true that oil and natural gasoline are more inorganic than organic products, then it is also true that peak oil is a lie and the energy source will as long exist as the planet Earth.
organic = matter that contains carbon atoms, matter that comes from the remains of plants and animals.

So where does oil come from, if not from plants and animals?
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 7:35 pm

phyllo wrote:
organic = matter that contains carbon atoms, matter that comes from the remains of plants and animals.

So where does oil come from, if not from plants and animals?

Can't you guess it? My last post contains already the answer. Haven't you read it, although you have quoted it?

According to some scientists chemical, but not fossilised, thus inorganic processes lead to oil, so oil is an inorganic product.
Last edited by Arminius on Tue May 06, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Tue May 06, 2014 7:56 pm

Can't you guess it? My last post contains already the answer. Haven't you read it, although you have quoted it?
If I had not read it, then I would not have responded to it.

Strange that you are unable to answer a direct question. :-?
According to some scientists merely chemical processes lead to oil, so oil is an inorganic product.
I assume that you think oil contains carbon atoms so it is not inorganic in that sense. So you must mean that oil does not come from dead plants and animals. Therefore you are talking about abiogenic oil.
Abiogenic petroleum origin is a hypothesis that was proposed as an alternative mechanism of petroleum origin. According to the abiogenic hypothesis, petroleum was formed from deep carbon deposits, perhaps dating to the formation of the Earth. Supporters of the abiogenic hypothesis suggest that a great deal more petroleum exists on Earth than commonly thought, and that petroleum may originate from carbon-bearing fluids that migrate upward from the mantle.

Although the abiogenic hypothesis was accepted by many geologists in the former Soviet Union, it fell out of favor at the end of the 20th century because it never made any useful prediction for the discovery of oil deposits.[1] The abiogenic origin of petroleum has also recently been reviewed in detail by Glasby, who raises a number of objections, including that there is no direct evidence to date of abiogenic petroleum (liquid crude oil and long-chain hydrocarbon compounds).[1] Geologists now consider the abiogenic formation of petroleum scientifically unsupported, and they agree that petroleum is formed from organic material.[1] However, some argue that the abiogenic theory cannot be dismissed yet because the mainstream theory still has to be established conclusively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 8:27 pm

phyllo wrote:Strange that you are unable to answer a direct question.

I did answer your question, but you are unable to read ( :-? ). That's strange. In addition: English is your mother tongue, isn't it?

The abiogenic hypothesis "fell out of favor at the end of the 20th century because" the Soviet Union was defeated, the "Cold War" ended, and the western age of total globalism started. You know what I mean?

Geologists now consider the abiogenic formation of petroleum scientifically unsupported, and they agree that petroleum is formed from organic material.

Therefore I wrote:

Arminius wrote:Peak oil is not based on scientific knowledge, but primarily on speculation, and when it comes to speculation, lies are immediately at work, whereby the wealth and therefore the power of the ruler of the world is increased.

Incidentally, it is possible that oil is an inorganic product. If this is true, then it is also true that peak oil is a lie.

Most »scientists« are no more scientists because of their involvement in corruption and their opportunistic behavior due to the censorship of the rulers. Who is brave and wants to remain scientists, is soon released and exposed to impoverishment. => #

Wikipedia (although also mainstream):

However, some argue that the abiogenic theory cannot be dismissed yet because the mainstream theory still has to be established conclusively.

Do you agree with the mainstream theory?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Inorganic chemistry is the study of the synthesis and behavior of inorganic and organometallic compounds. This field covers all chemical compounds except the myriad organic compounds (carbon based compounds, usually containing C-H bonds), which are the subjects of organic chemistry.

Abiogenesis is the natural process by which life arose from non-living matter such as simple organic compounds.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 10:10 pm

@ Moreno

Martin Fleischmann (not: "Fleishman") was his name. => #
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Lev Muishkin » Tue May 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Arminius wrote:If it is true that oil and natural gasoline are more inorganic than organic products, then it is also true that peak oil is a lie and the energy source will as long exist as the planet Earth.

In that case we merely would have to eliminate the lie. The lie is a problem humans can't resolve.

It is not true that oil is inorganic.
Whether or not it is organic does not relate to it scarcity.

ALL resources are ultimately finite and can be used up.

Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Lev Muishkin » Tue May 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Arminius wrote:Inorganic chemistry is the study of the synthesis and behavior of inorganic and organometallic compounds. This field covers all chemical compounds except the myriad organic compounds (carbon based compounds, usually containing C-H bonds), which are the subjects of organic chemistry..

By this definition "organic" oil is unavoidably organic in origin.

Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 pm

True is that we don't know wether oil comes exclusively from plants and animals or not.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 am

Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby LaughingMan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:44 am

Lev Muishkin wrote:
mr reasonable wrote:Fracking is gonna save us all.

Until that runs out and we are left drinking poisonous water.

I believe the proper terminology for that is poisoning the well. :)
Coming Out Live Streaming Online From The Global Gulag, Asylum, Police State, And Oligarchical Plantation Near You.

LaughingMan
Cynical Asshole

Postby LaughingMan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:45 am

MechanicalMonster wrote:Now if you want to talk about carbon emissions and rising global temperatures as a consequence in part of using oil, that is another issue, and that issue actually matters.

No argument from me on that. I concur.

LaughingMan
Cynical Asshole

PreviousNext

Return to Science, Technology, and Math