Suggestions for Knowledge Base

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Re: Suggestions for Knowledge Base

Postby Flannel Jesus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am

The person I was responding to was talking about 'epistemology'. I said 'philosophy of science'. Surely 'philosophy of science' places a lot of importance on epistemology, no?
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Postby Only_Humean » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:16 am

For Philosophy of Science, Popper (The Logic of Scientific Discovery) and Kuhn (The Structure of Scientific Revolutions) are pretty much baseline texts. Taking it further, I like van Fraassen's constructive empiricism (The Scientific Image) as a non-ideological, non-utopian/dogmatic description of the aims and methods of science.

Gould's "problem" is political, rather than factual. You can learn decent stuff about evolution, and get a wrong impression of the beliefs of current scientists. He was more a populiser - it's a bit like Dawkins' The God Delusion; it's not wrong, but there's nothing especially thrilling or challenging about it. Dawkins himself does a better job on evolution - The Selfish Gene is a good starting point for discussion.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Flannel Jesus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 am

Only_Humean wrote:For Philosophy of Science, Popper (The Logic of Scientific Discovery) and Kuhn (The Structure of Scientific Revolutions) are pretty much baseline texts.

Are there free versions of this online? Or free sources that talk about the ideas in them at least?
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Postby alan1000 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Flannel, have you ever considered enforcing the standards that you espouse, in the forum? I mean by weeding out the posts which are obviously facetious, or just flaming, or totally irrelevant, or betray a total ignorance of both science and philosophy? I realise that there wouldn't be an awful lot left, but at least it would be intellectually respectable?
alan1000

Postby The Golden Turd » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:20 pm

He is the top moderator on this site, has been the gold standard this past year.

Perhaps you need to focus less on getting others to remove posts you want removed from insidious bias, and instead try engaging in discussions with others, in a exchange of knowledge and it's principled validity, instead of plunging us back into a unrepresentative dark age ruled by narrow minded prejudiced. We don't burn witches, or persecute others just because they have differing ideals. That's not what science is about, not what we are about on this forum.

Place your faith in science and reasoning. We don't need another Inquisition by the short sighted or the vindictive. The freedom of personal expression of ideas is paramount to propagating the Republic of Science.

Support "The Angels of East Africa" on smile.Amazon.com it is free to do, they donate 0.05% of your purchase cost to them, or give donations directly via:

http://www.machinegunpreacher.org

Recently hidden post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192227&p=2649513#p2649513
The Golden Turd
Fucking Unflushable

Previous

Return to Science, Technology, and Math