Light Movement

I got to thinking about light and how it would travel through space:

Hypothesis 1: Light moves in a spiral as its going along and such is a result of it maximizing its speed in one direction hence applying any additional force in other directions.

Hypothesis A: That a photon applies that force in random direction hence it is not in a spiral motion.

Hypothesis B: That a photon applies that force in a shifting direction that is oriented in its shift by result of the orientation of the cause of the particular photon.

Hypothesis 2: That given H1 the reason for the results of the slit-experiment is that the light spirals and hence deflects off the interior walls of the slit causing diverging light.

Not the best drawing but:
light.JPG

[size=85]Had these thoughts after having a dream of a conversation with James.[/size]

What force?

Whatever force initiated the movement of the particle/light/photon.

Any electron drops down an energy level in an atom, releasing a photon. Once moving there is no more force on the photon.

I’m not implying that there is additional force applied to it.

oh… what i mean by “additional force” is what force is left over (i guess). i.e. if you had a photon generated with x+1 force where x was the force needed to accelerate it to the speed of light it wouldn’t go any faster but that aditional force would still need to be applied in some way or used…

There is no extra force or energy. That’s the quanta in quantum mechanics - the photon is released with a specific speed and energy.

My solution to that double-slit experiment is even hard for me to believe. But I can’t see any other option that doesn’t include bending time, space, definitions, common sense, and all of reality just to make it work.

Then if it takes x force to accelerate an object to the speed of light and you apply x+1 force what happens to the extra force?
Or are you saying that it is not possible to accelerate something to the speed of light?

And what is that?

I was afraid you were going to ask. :confused:

Okay, just to get the general picture;

Let’s say that you have a square swimming pool with weak wave generators all along the sides. The wave generators are not strong enough to dictate the exact wave pattern, they merely add their influence to the waves that hit them and are equally influenced by the waves. The waves are not big waves at all and are about 2 feet in wavelength. The end result after a very short time will be that a definite wave pattern will form all across the surface of the pool. It will not be random or chaotic, but rather a “harmonic resonance” pattern.

And then you cut two small canals into one side of the pool, each about a foot wide and perhaps 6 feet long with opening into the pool. The wave pattern across the surface of the water will change in accord to those one foot openings that you made on one side of the wave-generator edges. Again, it will be a definite pattern, not chaotic. That much is knowable, predictable, and testable.

The waves would look somewhat like that pick except in that pick, the wave generators were on only two sides of the pool (not all four). The small green lines is where the canals would open up into the pool.

But then you get a small battery operated motorboat about one foot long with a magic-marker attached to the front. You release the boat such that it exists one of the canals toward the other side of the pool. As it goes toward the other side, it will be affected by the waves and thus not go exactly straight. And when it reaches the other side, it will leave a mark where it hit. After it strikes the other side, you pick it up and go do the same thing again from the other canal.

If you repeat that process for let’s say 1000 times, what you will see on the far side of the pool is the exact “wave interference pattern” that is revealed in the double slit experiment.

Of course that is no proof that the double-slit experiment is due to actual harmonic resonance, but a pretty simple and actual experiment could be done to test the hypothesis.

In the normal experiment, the setup would look a bit like this;

In order to test the hypothesis, merely change it to look more like this;

The hypothesis is that there must always be a harmonic resonance within any enclosure. It is impossible to avoid that. The waves are both gravitational and electro-magnetic (combined as “affectance”), but they are in a definite pattern, never truly random. And since every particle is guided by what it encounters as it travels “freely” through space, those waves will affect each particle (photon or electron) and cause them to land on the screen in the same pattern dictated by that resonance.

If the second “random surface” experiment doesn’t change the interference pattern, then the hypothesis fails. The random surface must reflect an average depth equal to the expected interference pattern wavelength so as to cancel natural resonance to the largest degree.

According to contemporary physics, that change in surfaces should not change the pattern at all. So actually if any significant change takes place at all, the point is proven.

That is my “Harmonic Resonance” theory. :sunglasses:

Force is something that is applied by something onto something else. When a photon is released, one can say that there must have been a force so that the photon gets a direction and momentum but otherwise it seems meaningless.

I think what you have in mind is energy. Where is the excess energy which did not go into releasing the photon?
It’s in the kinetic motion of the atom.

It’s possible to make a photon move at the speed of light. A massive particle can’t be accelerated to that speed.

In a sense, the “photon energy” was already going that speed, it merely got released in the form of a photon and kept that form.

James

But if the waves are equal in contribution to force from all 4 directions of a square pool would not the boat go straight, what force would alter it in say one direction over another?

And are you saying there is harmonic resonance from the walls that interferes with the photon path?

No. A pattern will form, much like what that dark picture shows, but if all four walls are resonating, the pattern will be more checkered, but never random. The boat, once settled into a wave shallow, will tend to remain in that shallow. That will cause each boat to end up in one of the same locations across the pool.

Yes.

I guess I didn’t make that clear enough. :confused:

:-k

But… lets say you had a lone little photon not moving at the speed of light. If you gave it more energy then it needs to move at the speed of light what happens to that energy?

Can’t do that. ALL photons move at exactly the speed of light. Light is what they ARE.

Which direction does the boat start moving first?

Hypothetically speaking?

Forward. :open_mouth:
:-k

No. Definitionally speaking.