Human Predation (Animal Attack statistics)

I am going to create this into an 'animal attack statistics page/commentary page" in a second, but feel free to talk about human predation/animal predators as well.

I think Crocodiles kill the most with 3000 people being eaten/mauled by them yearly in sub-sahara africa.

• Wiki

A recent fatal bear attack, to whet your appetites.

hippos are fairly lethal:

-wiki

My favourite predatory animal: the polar bear - beautiful: yet lethal in an encounter. Polar bear attack!

Beautiful:

Lethal:

[size=200]Stingrays![/size]

[size=150]

This dude is playing with a croc

But he gets killed by this

They might not seem like the most dangerous animals… But one of them killed a freakin crocodile hunting celebrity!

It’s the element of surprise… that’s their weapon!
[/size]

I thought hippos killed more people in Africa versus crocodiles.

If you want to get really creepy mosquitos kill far more all around the world by that of infectious diseases.

Its true that mosquitos kill vastly more people by spreading things like malaria, etc.

I sincerely doubt that hippos kill 3000 people a year, alone in sub-saraha africa, but statistics are not widely available for them. (out of any animals that we have statistics for anyway)

As to the mosquito, its really the pathogen that they carry that does the killing, so I don’;t feel bad about leaving them to the side.

(a random fact about salt-water crocodiles, they’ve been seen 1000km from land swimming to islands or wherever the fuck they want)

Imagine going fishing with a friend who fell voerboard far far far far from land, to have a fucking crocodile eat them. that’d be messed up.

Some crocodiles grow long enough to allegedly kill/eat hippos, watching gustav attempting to manuever himself towards the baby hippo (it wouldn’t surprise me at all) the thing is fucking massive.

gustav

youtube.com/watch?v=M-kvAl-xs7A

Who’d call a gigantic killer croc Gustav? #-o no wonder their trap failed. :unamused: :laughing:

I’ve always heard that hippos and cape buffalo are by far the most dangerous animals in Africa in terms of number of attacks on humans. Couldn’t call it predation in either case though.

While the particular totem for the Egyptian god of Chaos, Seth, is unknown it is thought that he is a hippo. Especially since in several myths he specifically takes the form of a hippo.

So, if an ancient culture that was regularly in contact with hippos decided they should be their god of chaos, that says something! Sobek, their crocodile god, on the other hand, was a downright decent god – though Ammut, the Devourer of Souls, also has a crocodile-aspect. So those guys are still pretty badass. Granted, he also had a hippo aspect . . .

Well, ,i hear the claim that hippos are more dangerous than crocs all the time, but from gathered statistics worldwide, and prob in africa alone, the croc seems to kill more. (For the statistics gathered)

but if you’re under the hoof of a hippo or crocodile, you’d probably want the crocodile, maybe thats what they mean. (though some massive ones wouldn’t be cool)

and its also possible that hippos do kill more people.

Maybe because a hippo rampage is more horrifying that a crocodile one? or they’re larger more fierce when confronted.

i

Spumoni!

It says “subdue(d)” so I would assume that it wasn’t calming. It is probably both extremely painful and blinding, leaving the bear more vulnerable to restraint.

Anyone got any idea why this should remain in Philo?

Natural Science?

Psych?

Any suggestions?

Haha, same here - I am fascinated by bears all around, but polar bears are probably my favorite animal. I believe they are among strongest, fiercest predators on Earth; yet they seem so tranquil when left alone in their natural setting.

Also, I don’t know of any other land predator alive that is a threat to a polar bear. I think I read/heard somewhere that polar bears are able to hunt the largest prey among land predators – I know they kill walrus, which range up to thousands of lbs.

Good point. Off to naturals for this baby.

For me sharks being large, powerful predators, may sometimes attack and kill people. So I think they are more Human Predation.

Hippos, cape buffalo, mosquitos - yes. But here are some attacks of other wild animals:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awtuo_gk0AA[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlmYEusDT0M[/youtube]