Relativity

Has philosophy gone too far, questioning the very exsitence of matter and meaning!? For me philosophy has always been about living happier, secrets to living better, nothing more. but to question our very exsistance is that what we want? Why do we want “to pull at the very fabric of life till there is nothing left but a thread.” A thread will not keep me warm. I prefer the fabric.

Your thoughts?

i’m not sure whether its fair to say that philosophy is all about “questioning the very existence of matter and meaning”… you’ll have to clarify that. philosophy can help folks “live happier and better”, for sure, but its certainly more than that. there are some very impractical realms of philosophy that people engage in just as a “fun”, leisurely activity. and there are some theoretical aspects to philosophy (such as metaphysics) which concern the “ultimate aspects” of reality, the universe, existence… whatever you want to call it.

what does this all have to do with relativity or the “natural sciences”? i’d like to help but this is very unclear. here’s a link that may or may not be useful to you:

http://www.phys.vt.edu/~takeuchi/relativity/notes/index.html

-Dark Magus

“Progress, man’s distinctive mark alone,
Not God’s, and not the beasts’: God is, they are;
Man partly is, and wholly hopes to be.”

We have a particular consciousness that allows us to know that there are things we don’t know and so we seek to understand. Philosophy seeks to understand the fundamental human experience.

Why are we here? What are we? What do we know? How do we know what we know? What else is there? And on and on.

Perhaps the more we know, the better able we are to conceptualize life in a way that brings us more happiness and peace. I think that is more a product of philosophy than its purpose.

We question the existence of matter and meaning because we can and because we are fascinated by the question.

I have long feared that i may loose my sanity so i fear these futureistic concepts such as the present or reality. I am woried that the way philosophy is headed we may find something we wish we had never seen. :astonished:

aw come on guys (and gals)… don’t be scared of knowledge. what’s the worst that could happen if you knew a lot? is it really that scary to imagine yourself “thinking the unthinkable”? :sunglasses:

personally, i dive head first into mysterious things that i don’t know/understand. i’m always better off in the end.

i don’t like these guys trying to tell me what reality. After all it is all we realy have… reality. now what if you lost this. Being high is good. it is a break from reality but what if the high became your reality i don’t know about you but i’d be scared shitless. All you realy have is imagination. the world is different everytime you wake up. if there is a hell. that would be it