Carbon 14 Dating?

It looks as if you are confusing “theory” with “hypothesis” here. As I illustrated before, they are not synonymous. Evolution is called a fact because there is no doubt that it happened, given the mass of confirmatory evidence. And this evidence is not going anywhere. As I said, science does not share the same standard of proof as metaphysics or mathematics because it cannot.

How did you conclude that? A 6000-year old universe is about the most implausible thing imaginable. The whole of science would need to be overturned and thrown away for this to happen, and supernatural entities would need to be invoked.

No, they would not say it was shaky. It’s true that we are still working out the mechanisms of how it occurs, but such is the progressive nature of science. No one in science doubts that it happens and has been happening for several billion years.

I agree. If creationists want anyone to listen to them they should do some hard science to back up their claims. I wouldn’t say they force scientists to do anything, however, as their lack of objective method removes any credibility in their ideas. All I see creationists doing is misrepresenting evolution, being selective with data, interpreting things as they wish without considering alternatives, creating false dilemmas and so on. Science will not take them seriously until they actually produce some proper scientific research into the matter, and I have yet to see any.

No, just the nature of time. The whole of science could remain intact.

are you saying, the 16 billion years that science estimates to be the age of the universe was compressed into 6000 years?

i wish to remark that not only is there a C14 method, but also, a uranium 138 method, and some decent geological evidence that earth did, in fact, not arise some 6000 years ago

geographically speaking;
the speed of the changes is measurable, now if you look at the ammount of changes, it is clear that they cannot have taken place in 6000 years, not in this world…

biologically speaking;
the mechanism behind genetical differentiation is well-known, don’t ask me to explain the whole damn meïosis for ya, it’d take a few pages…

i’m gonna leave it at that, i’ll come back and check on this thread later

this was my first contribute to the philosophy of this board, btw…

greetz to yall

willem

[size=100]

[b]Those who truly believe in the Bible believe based on FAITH.

Science tells us many things about our past, present, and future. Scientific methods explain origins and help men to create wondrous things. This knowledge is given to us through time and dedication. It is through time that Man learns from his mistakes and corrects them, makes Himself BETTER. But Man is prideful in that he thinks he can explain the WORLD. Fortunately, we are [u]finite[/u].

God tells us in the Bible that we are limited to 120 years. [/size][/b] [size=84][Now the ancient Biblical calendars may be slightly off due to translation from the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic] [/size] [size=100] [b]
Look in your book of world records and see if there is any one person older than 120? This is just one FACT, although once presented - the many Demons around us who have control of this earth under Satan’s command will find some way to LIE, CHEAT, and CHANGE any scientific proof that Christians obtain. It’s a spiritual war, everyday, and I believe History is moving us towards destruction.

Anyone that reads this has certain Gifts. These gifts may be much different from one reader to the next as no one person has an exact duplicate. God has given us these independent qualities, yet our freedom allows us to choose between “good & evil,”/“right & wrong.” Society has been moving us in a direction rapidly the past hundred years through Media and Entertainment so that we are now DESCENSATIZED to those Wrongs-(sin).

If there has been a spiritual war for as long as the age of the Earth, don’t you think that Satan and 1/3 of the Angels he took with him would try as hard as they could to get others to join with them and disobey God? Everywhere you look and where you leave to go each day there is a demon. And while I cant fully explain their complete nature, I can either let the demons of this earth to deceive me, or I can allow God to[/size][/b][size=84] - as a choice under HIS free will gift - [/size][b][size=100]enter my life, then devote my 100% belief in Him and a trusting acceptance of His will for your life. That’s called faith. It’s hard to have faith in a world where people that claim to be Christians do such terrible things.

For the “Logical” and “Factual” thinkers:
You’ve got faith in that chair you sat down in today, in front of your computer. Now someone may take that chair away from beneath you and test your assurance. And Philosophers may also denote the reality of the chair, while adding a possibility of another dimension. Yet you’ll always know it’s there because you see it. Even Darwin saw the error of his philosophy. Read his book, you’ll find it, if you’re looking for it. (Hint:eye) Error is a human characteristic. It mean’s we’re not perfect and the means we’re Finite.[/b]
[/size]

I stumbled upon this site on accident; however, I was intrigued with what others thought about different philosophies. I’m not going to return and check this thread because I’ve got Faith in what I believe and I do not need the assurance or difference of opinion that others on this site provide. I cannot apologize for leaving this article in the “religious” forum, I don’t accept religion. Although, I do accept what I BELIEVE in, and that is my Lord and Savior. Jesus the Messiah.

-Christopher

First, I don’t believe you won’t return to read the responses to your post (curiosity is a bitch). With that said, let me state this (because I know you’ll read it): you’re nuts.

What’s so fantastic is this:

http://www.avirtualdominica.com/mapampo.htm

The oldest living women is as at least 126; you may want to adjust your maniacal posts in the future to reflect this. Oh no, the internet has proven the Bible wrong. (That’s quite a metaphor actually, between science and faith).

You know, I literally hate people that hide behind the curtain of faith. Faith is a huge cause of conflict. What happens when 2 people have faith in opposing concepts? War, death and suffering. They attmept to exterminate each other. Sadly, no one ever wins, and we have nothing but perpetual chaos as a result. The Nazis attempted to wipe out the Jews, and they failed. The Fundamental Muslims want to wipe out the Christians (and vice versa I’ve gathered). Luckily, us poor rational chaps get to live through it with you.

Everyone needs to abandon faith in the unexperienced altogether, and attempt to live by nothing but rational means. I think we’d all be much happier. Go ahead, have faith in fairies, leprecauns and God; whatever makes it easier for you to sleep at night and deal with death. However, when your ignorant, maladaptive beliefs begin to interfere with the lives of others, I must draw the line.

Don’t you find it odd, that how you feel when praying to Jesus is exactly the same way that a Muslim feels when praying to Allah? Who’s God then, really exists? You religious people are basically fighting yourselves; you’re arguing and running off to battle with people who decided to throw just as much faith into an unsubstantiated idea as you did. It’s incredibly ironic and sad at the same time.

I don’t care that people believe in God. If that makes them happier, so be it. However, we cannot function as if anything we have ever experienced has been the result of God or His will, because it could always be the Devil impersonatng Him. Jesus and Mohammed could be prophets of the Devil, sent here to cause people who blindly believe to annihilate each other. Think about it. It could be true. The only laws we can abide by are those that make sense in the tangible reality in which we live. That is the safest way to live by a God’s will, if one even does exist.

I apologize for the curt remarks in the beginning of the post, but I am much too tired to rewrite this. My apologies.

Christopher based himself on the so-called word of God, aka bible. Now i happen to know a guy who’s been occupying himself with looking for discrepanties in both Koran and Bible.

As any sane person expected(this guy isn’t entirely sane, but that’s another story), it contains flaws, why? because it was written by humans, and humans as we all know, are flawed…

God created us? well every single person is a miracle on his own, so to speak, but regarding the flaws in our design, so if he did, he did intend us to suffer…

your beliefs are indeed based on faith, but not anything more…

i like fairies though :stuck_out_tongue:

willem

i’d like to add to my own post;

in the bible is written that abraham and his decendants were far older than 120 years… look, i found one of them discrepancies myself :slight_smile:, you must keep in mind that the bible was written in periods, sentences added, removed, rewritten…

i still like fairies :wink:

willem

direct.ca/trinity/120years.html
direct.ca/trinity/rule.html

If they were using a 360 day cycle as a year when God ordered that man will no longer live past 120 years, it would make the current oldest living person even older than she already is.

Quit while you’re ahead.

Besides, I don’t want to argue about the Bible. I’ve never read it, and don’t plan on doing so either. It’s nothing but a bunch of stories written down by men; that doesn’t make it the word of God.

No it doesn’t. But it is still a bunch of stories written by men who purportedly claimed that they know God. So if anyone wants to know God this is, rationally speaking, one good place to start. Or would you rather start with someone who does not even claim to know God? But of course if knowledge of God is irrelevant to you and your philosophy then all these are irrelevant too.

Mathew E.

…

The article that was made about the oldest living person- the elderly woman from the Dominica Republic . You dont think your media lies to you on a constant basis for an Entertainment purpose? Liberal news stations only like to give you the “interesting” facts, usually half truths, AKA: half lies. Man is corrupt, you are correct - that is why believing the Bible is hard at first. But IF YOU DO read its contents, you will more than agree that its pages have been Divinely Inspired. God spoke to the hearts of those men, just like he continues to do so today- for the few that listen.

Christopher

…

I wouldnt trust everything you hear on TV or see on the WWW. You dont ever get the full details because theres not enough time in the world to hear or see them.
[/i][/b]

So I offer proof that a prophecy of the infallible Bible is incorrect, and you retort that it is a media lie- someone’s grabbing at straws. How do you know she isn’t 126? The oldest woman in America, I believe, is somewhere in the 120’s as well. Perhaps no one knows how to keep birth records properly. But I like the whole media-conspired-to-prove-the-bible-wrong; it’s more exciting. :unamused:

Your purpose in life must be to make other philosopher/thinker’s laugh.
Congradulations Mathew E.

Now since youre so smart- what is your purpose in this world?

Here’s a head start-
http://www.ubcbakersfield.org/sermons/ubc.PDL.3.2.03.htm

Having read its contents, I found (unsurprisingly) that it looks exactly as if it were written by prescientific humans.

it wasn’t very smart to go totally off subject… everyone must find his own
now further on carbon dating?

willem

But what of the object of what is written, albeit by prescientific humans? Are there nothing in prescientific humans that is true even today? Are there not such as eternal everlasting truths knowable not just to prescientific humans but also to a child of today? In any case can we be so arrogant and self-assured that we know any better than the prescientific humans? For example is not the pharmaceutical industry going back to tribal and folk medicine to rediscover the ancient wisdom in their herbal remedies?

perhaps, if you look for it long enough…
actually, truth doesn’t exist

no, lol, course not

we’re better capable of explaining our perception… way better
medicins have very little to do with the bible…
or C14 for that matter…

willem

Yes and yes, but both are beside the point. I’m talking about how it looks like the word of prescientific humans as opposed to that of an omniscient God.

Oh you are absolutely right. I dont think anyone should make a claim greater than what the evidence supports. And yes the bible is essentially the work of men, documenting their experiences and knowledge of God. The word of God is not merely what men recorded in the bible. Just take a simple example, If God spoke and it is, then what is the word of God? Everything that is I suppose.

[size=200]PEDANT!! LOL!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: [/size]

made me laugh so hard when he said pedant.

i guess its only right to provide the dictionary definition (for additional humorous effects):

there’s no doubt kyry owns this whole thread.