Pole Shift

The references below add up to an expectation that by 2100 the polar ice caps will be gone, that the polar ice mass will be redistributed in the oceans, that the reslting unbalance will cause the earth’s crust to shift dramatically. The result would be that we all move whether we want to or not, and experience a shift both in local time and latitude. What do you think of this?

“Arctic to lose all summer ice by 2100”
Click on “Climate” toward bottom of page. Look under “Recent articles on climate change” and click on “Arctic to lose all summer ice by 2100”.

“In a polar region there is a continual deposition of ice, which is not symmetrically distributed about the pole. The earth’s rotation acts on these unsymmetrically deposited masses [of ice], and produces centrifugal momentum that is transmitted to the rigid crust of the earth. The constantly increasing centrifugal momentum produced in this way will, when it has reached a certain point, produce a movement of the earth’s crust over the rest of the earth’s body, and this will displace the polar regions toward the equator.”

• Albert Einstein From The Path of the Pole by Charles Hapgood.

If today 's warming continues and deep-sea temperatures cross the threshold at which methane hydrates melt, huge amounts of methane could be released, triggering drastic global warming. It isn 't known how likely this is, but researchers have shown that something similar happened at the end of the Palaeocene epoch. Fifty-five million years ago, a gradual warming of the oceans preceded a dramatic shift in carbon isotope ratios and a steep jump in water temperatures - precisely the pattern expected if gradual warming melted the hydrate reserves. Looking at what happened in the Palaeocene helps to answer two crucial questions : how much of the methane can be released at once, and how that would affect climate.

By studying the carcasses of the woolly mammoth and rhino found in the northern regions of Siberia and Canada one can see the land these animals gazed on was suddenly shoved into a much colder climate. Their stomachs reveal food found in warm climates where they grazed just prior to their deaths. This was found frozen along with them suddenly.

Thousands of animals were found to be frozen in a brief moment of geological time. Ancient maps of Antarctica suggests that it too was ‘frozen over’ in a brief moment in time.

It has been suggested that approximately 12,000 years ago there was a displacement of the Earth’s crust. The entire outer shell of the earth moved approximately 2,000 miles. When the Earth’s crust shifted all of Antarctica was encapsulated by the polar zone. At the same time North American was released from the Arctic Circle and became temperate.

I watched a OU programme on this, it was along time ago though. They predicted New Zealand is going to change in the course of just a couple of hundred years, from been straightish as it is today, to bend-in on itself through such plates. I couldnt get the newscientist to work but i find it interesting how the boiling point of methane could be effected by a slight rise in sea temperature; if the continuing ice is to meat of the north pole it will cool the warm water that makes Europe so warm: thats the one im worried about! (i could always move)

Like some planet (i think its Venus) is like. perhaps some distribution of elements unequally balanced created the poles of that planet to do that.
Ive heard before (and its the argument behind the global warming agreement in Kyoto) was that one theory states: through our carbon dioxide imitions we are adding more carbon dioxide then the water would once of solved; as well as causing more CO2 to react with O3 in the atmosphere which protects us from particular rays of the sun (and something else important, i’ll have to look all this up :confused: .) while the other theory: something similar to the methane gas thing you mentioned, in that the earth has a natural cooling and heating of elements that goes on periodically over thousands of years in some equalibruim.

Reply to Kesh

[b]“… i find it interesting how the boiling point of methane could be effected by a slight rise in sea temperature;”[b] Yes it is.
" if the continuing ice is to meat of the north pole it will cool the warm water that makes Europe so warm" The ice is melting because the world is getting warmer – not colder.

I didn’t understand the rest of your post. The information in my post indicates to me that within the next 100 years the earth’s crust may shift dramatically. That means everyone moves whether they want to or not.

Revised web site URL: To find article “Arctic will loose all summer ice by 2100” lick on : newscientist.com/
then click on “Climate” toward bottom of page. Then look under “Recent articles on climate change” and click on article: “Arctic will loose all summer ice by 2100”