Big Bang Vs. The Eternal Universe.

Ive set it so it would log me on automatically… hope that doesn’t happen again.

Silver,
Welcome back! :smiley: I’ve missed talking to you :blush: .
How are things with me? Well, things are okay, I guess. The latter semester of the year has begun, I have a whole new variety of courses, and the best thing is that I have Tuesday’s and Thursday’s off! YAY!

Silver stated:

I’m glad your glad that I’m glad that you find my posts entertaining. :sunglasses:

Silver stated:

You know, you can say just the right thing to make a person feel special. :slight_smile: As easy as this may come to you, it is a rare trait to find. I mean, there is always a chance that a person is lying and then everything goes to the shits, but for what it is worth - I think you are an honest, intelligent, clever, daring, sweet, funny, mysterious, complex, chivalrous, and magnanimous gal (whichever you prefer - lady, women, female, beauty, sweetheart, cupcake, lilly, and well…there is one word I think is fitting to you, but I too must have a little mystery about me, hence I will not let you know just yet).

Silver stated:

I was brought up in the Catholic tradition, but…I am not convinced by a good majority of it.We do celebrate christmas, but it doesn’t go any further than a Christmas meal with all the fireworks…you know, the best cutlery, we all dress nice, candles, exquisite food, etc. But after that we simply open up the presents. Soon thereafter, we usually visit some friends of my parents together, or I split off and go see some of my friends (or girlfriend if I have one at the time). In reference to your last sentence, thank you, I had a wonderful Christmas. So what did you get?

Alright you punk, the suspence is killing me, killing me, it is eating a hole into my head :cry: - I can stand no longer to look at my telescope and have exiled it from my field of vision. :frowning: You are under orders from someone who has no right to give you orders in any way, shape, or form, but he foolishly imagines you will follow his order, which is to inform him or atleast give him another clue as to your reason for asking if he had a telescope. Watson has come up with another possible solution from the last one…did you ask because you wanted to go look at stars together? :wink:

I said:

You responded:

A six year old child cannot comprehend (usually) the complexity of a social structure, for instance, the different levels people socialize in. But you can make the child understand by drawing an analogy to things the child does understand…ie. toys in a sandbox. One may say, “you know how the Transformer is bigger than the rest and you always keep it on the steps of structure in the playground to guard and protect the structure…well in the same way we have police (in the same way they can be made to understand PI’s, body-guards, door-men/woman, bouncers, anti-crime organizations, etc) that are skilled in guarding and protecting our society”.
-Or- “You know how you are always using the helicopter to pick things up and drop them off in another spot, or to help turned over dinky-cars, well in the same way we have people that pick things up and drop them off in another place, for example, truck drivers, fork lift drivers, deliver services”

I don’t want to draw too much attention to this example or you will begin to believe I am a child, so I will draw another example…I’ve known a few French people in my life and they were all astounded as to how ignorant others are of the complexity of love and easily explain most of the problems in relationships to confusion and ignorance of it. This is because French is the language of love, or so they say, well French people can’t go around teaching us about the French ways because we don’t know french and don’t have a proper translation for their words, so they have to relate it to something else we do know about…

Only about two or three dozen people in the world understand Einstein’s theories of Quantum Physics, Relativity, Special Relativity, etc. But I’ll bet you more would understand if only someone focused on how to relate these ideas to everyday things we are all acquainted with. This is why to me, Genius is the ability to think outside the box while still being able to relate, explain, and make all others understand their ideas. What this means is that the onus of understanding is not on the person who is trying to learn, but on the person teaching. So, if someone fails a class in school it is the fault of the teacher and not the student. When people are conversing and one doesn’t understand the other, it is EXTREMELY important for them to have patience and try different avenues of explanation in order to help the other person understand what they mean.

Silver stated:

Wow. I don’t mean to sound sex crazed but I bet it’s amazing to take a bath in those comfortable baths with perfume and then make love, you know, both people smelling of each others favorite scent which would enhance the sensation of love making. There is a perfume that actually has a euphoric affect on me, at times it even makes me…well you know. I can’t imagine what it would do to me if my significant other at the time took a bath in it…

That palace must have been really impressive, I wonder, if you have any of the pictures on computer, or if you have a scanner, could you email me some of the pictures? If so, just send to me at limainc@hotmail.com

Silver stated:

Amen. Whoa, I just had a deja vu as I was writing right here…it was a deja vu of what I was going to write to you, how it sounded, that I would change it twice, and how you would take the words I do actually write down. Anyway, well I will just be blunt and say that I think you were right for taking a vacation and putting time towards living and experiencing as a young adult. For no amount of education can ever take time back, I’ve seen too many people do nothing but study, get through university and grad school at the age of 27, go get a career, and are rich or even millionaires by 35, but then don’t know what to do with themselves…all their energy was sucked out by school, they forgot to live during their teen years and now they can’t get the youth or the energy back.

Silver stated:

Yes, what a coincidence, that’s it! At the exhibition I too was told that the cravings were done with lasers, I was uncertain and still am of whether that is true or not, for the reason that they were so inexpensive. You must have been greatly inspired by your philosophy teacher (prof), any interesting stories or reasoning you want to mention that led him to inspiring you so?

I can’t say I was GREATLY inspired, but I was inspired by my highschool American History teacher (Mr. Quealey), and my highschool Law teacher (Mr. Kelly), and I was inspired by my University Astronomy Professor (Prof. Delaney).

About you telling me about how there aren’t many jobs in Universities for a philosophy teacher nowadays, I completely agree. It is too bad, actually, it caused what I dare say was a small revolution in York University last year. It was the cause for an increase of interest in Philosophy and spawned a brand new Philosophy Club which I am proud to be a part of as a participant and as an executive.

About you ranting on, don’t be silly, Silver: your words to me are like the soft rain droplets one feels on their skin on those magical rainy days where the earth feels like it is standing still and nothing exists but the exhilirating feeling of water droplets and their temperature on your skin, the sound of the rain which puts me in a trance and I swear I can differentiate each droplet from another as they hit the ground or me, the smell of the air which causes one to breath just slightly more deeply, the site of the changing texture of the world in rain and the perfection of the angle and speed of each water droplet following the next in perfect harmony. So as you see silver, take it as a compliment when I say: “RANT ON!”

Regards,
~Magius

hahaha… said the master to the apprentice. Looks like you can teach me a thing or two on the fine art of ranting… :wink:

Anyhow, sorry i can’t actually respond right now… I think I’m coming down with something and my head really hurts. Plus i just finished posting something on the philosophy forum so my brain activity needs to stop for a while before i can write anything that remotely resembles something that could makes sense.

But never fear …

…ehem… Mystery Man, ill be back :smiley:

Magius,
hey… I have a feeling you’ve been busy lately. I wonder, what courses are you taking this semester? I’ve been a little preoccupied myself (stupid fever) apparently I said stuff I don’t remember. But I think my mom just made that up to make me feel crazy or something… :unamused:

Actually I don’t usually say things to make people feel special, although sometimes that is the affect of what I say. When I think its appropriate, and even sometimes when I don’t, I say what I want to say quite bluntly. Don’t get me wrong, I beat around the bush all the time, but i don’t usually sugar coat things.
aww … I’ve never been called a lilly before…

By the way…when I said " wish you have a wonderful Christmas", I meant had … :blush:

You know,… Motrin relives Motrin pain :wink:

ii captain! … And you’re partly correct.
The short version of this story begins about 2 or 3 years ago when I started doing some outside research relating to astronomy and cosmology. ‘Outside’ meaning out of school because we had no such course available, and it was fascinating, really enthralling. But I wanted to do some studying literally outside. That began when I went to some expo or something (cant remember, too long age) where they taught me to spot planets during specific seasons, times…etc
That was really great because I remember there was one time when Venus was really visible, it just brought me so much delight to see it.
Then one night I looked up at the stars, as I always do, and noticed the big dipper out of nowhere. I’ve never really taken an interest in constellations before, but after that I made it a point to learn more about them. For instance, i didn’t know that some o f the stars in certain constellations are erupting nebulae, super nova explosions … etc etc… I’m sure you know all that, but remember that was 2 years ago for me.
So recently, and this is where the telescope bit comes in, I’ve been pushing myself into perhaps buying one, somehow. But an average telescope is expensive, so I figure if I knew someone who owned a telescope my problem would be solved. :unamused: ( if it must be said, there are obviously no expectations here)
Come to think of it, the only person I know who has one ( other than you of course) is my physics teacher who is taking some courses at your university. But unfortunately his telescope is far too big and difficult to set up, so I can’t borrow it. ( :cry: oh the tragedy)
Besides… you can call it a fetish… I mean, some girls think guys with cars are attractive, I just happen to think guys with telescopes are attractive… you probably think that’s pretty strange huh? :smiley:

That does sound wonderful, not that I’ve ever tried… in a bathtub or not… :unamused:

I should probably wipe that smirk off my face huh?..

About the picture thing, we just finished getting all 8 rolled developed, but unfortuately i don’t have a scanner. One of my friends does, but last time I was over it was broken, i wonder if she got it fixed. If so I’d be happy to send you some.

You asked me what i got for Christmas this year. Well, from my parents I got some( actually most) funding for the trip. And from the person who I was with I got to see a dolphin show! aww they’re so cute. You know, ill bet they had their own little civilization thing going on, on the land, before we even evolved out of the water…

How about you?

At one point in your response to my asking: “Huh…interesting, how so?”
you said

i noticed you usually do that in many of your posts, and i agree, it is effective.

Perhaps inexpensive in American dollars (16 I think) but in Egyptian currency that’s about 80 pounds. meh… i don’t know, your probably right to be skeptical.

I’m not exactly inspired by him, well maybe I’m inspired by his open mindedness, and intellect. But generally i think we are friends, you know?.. He really is a nice person, I mean literally taking kids off the street and giving them a home during the winter even though he can hardly afford it nice. Besides, I had him last year for World Religions, and he helped me start the philosophy club (which I think i mentioned before) at my school, so I’ve had enough time to build something that really means a lot to me. He’s one of those quiet thoughtful teachers… aww

Hey, speaking of philo clubs, how is yours going?

UUHH!
Have you ever had the experience where you really try to remember something but never do…

Silver stated:

Yeah, I have been little busy. What courses am I taking? I have one course that got carried over from last semester because it is a full year course, but other than that I have two computer courses, Philosophy of Law, Philosophy of Metaphysics, and one final philosophy course called Experience, World, and the Self. You mom too!?! Phew, I wasn’t gonna say anything cause I thought it was a joke, but I guess it wasn’t, you sent me a private message on ilovephilosophy telling me that the moon was yours and no one else would have it, and that you wouldn’t stop until every crator was painted purple to signify how lonely the moon is and that you would keep it company forever. You told me that you were going to go one step ahead of those tree huggers and you were gonna go and hug a moon. You went on about how the future advances in technology are already devicing a small city upon our moon and that some rich people have already made attempts to create legislation for the possibility to start investments into purchasing land on the moon for the future. You said that you wanted to be the first one to raise a family on the moon and that no one would stop you. Your house, you told me would be situated somewhere between the old highlands and the younger maria, and that you would devize an engine that worked off of the Regolith (dust and rock from craters). Anyway, ask your mom if she got the same story as I, if so let her know that I know a good psychiatrist and not to worry that you will be okay…okay, okay, you got me. All a joke, relax people.

silver stated:

I really like that about you, silver lilly, no bullshit, I too am the same way. But I wonder how far you take your honesty, would you be honest if it meant someone would possibly look down upon you? Sorry, I don’t mean to be so forward but so many people love to claim that they are honest and forthcoming, but they only are when it suites them, the minute their friend, co-worker, significant other has a question for them or makes a statement that their not sure how to respond to, they either give a weak half-truth or a lie. I think it’s important to be as honest as possible, not because it’s virtuous or any crap like that, but because there are so many variables to life and if we ever expect to get to really know someone else in life and we also wish others to really know us for who we are, then we all gotta be honest no matter what. It’s like I once said in another post “I would rather live a lifetime of pain from knowing the truth, than to live a single day with the pain from a lie.”

I don’t think you realize how little I know about constellations. It is impractical knowledge to me, so I make no effort to remember. Meh. Sir Arthur Conan Doyles character Sherlock Holmes and Watson once had a brief discussion along these lines “Watson: Holmes, do you mean to tell me you didn’t know about the planet mars? Holmes: No I didn’t, and now that I know I will do my best to forget it. Watson: Forget it? Why? Holmes: The brain is like a box, it can be filled with alot of junk or it can be filled with important and useful facts. I take care to make sure to fill my mind with information I need and can apply. I have no use for the knowledge of the planet Mars, it will make no difference in my life one way or another.” Although, I am not in complete agreeance with the above, for we never know what might be important, but I just never took the time to learn the constellations. Maybe, I can bring the telescope and you can teach me about the constellation, their size, number of stars, the time and season they come out, etc - I think I have a map hidden away somewhere from my astronomy class that shows all the constellations in their place with marks to show when and where in the sky they appear.

Silver lilly stated:

Well atleast your not like 80% of the females out there, that’s always a good thing. What else do you find attractive, let’s say about the actual guy? I hope I’m not crossing a line here.

That was very nice of the person who you were with, I wish I had people do such nice things for me. Although, I do have a really good life, my greatest problems have come from the people aspect of life.

I think it’s because I am a strange breed, I’m not a Geek, yet I don’t drink (unless its a special occasion), I don’t smoke, I don’t do drugs, I don’t have an attitude, I am not conceided, I don’t fight (unless it’s sparring), and I love time alone. But I’m not a loner either, for I have selective friends whom I see once in a while, we talk on the phone, email, watch movies, play video games, go out to coffee shops, restaurants. I know people almost everywhere I go, especially older people. For some reason I have always gotten along with older people much better than young. I’m not trying to boast when I say I think I am a fairly attractive guy, yet I have had only two serious relationships by the age of 23. I’ve never had a problem with having girls like me, just always had a problem finding a girl I can actually say I would be compatible with. I am very good at Martial Arts (many years of experience) but as I said before I don’t fight. I love sports yet I rarely ever get a chance to play them and I never watch sports on TV. I love to dance, I’ve actually taken lessons in Irish dancing, Slovak (where I am from) dancing, a little bit of cha-cha, and some assorted other dances - I also go to clubs once in a while - yet I can’t say I’m a clubber, I can’t say that I fit into the break-dancing club, or any other dancing club for that matter. I like all sorts of music, everything from Gregorian Chants to Classical, wrap, house, reggae, hip-hop, R&B, alternative, rock, and rare bits of metal and country music - but I can’t say I have any single favorite.

What did I get for Christmas? I got ‘What Dreams may Come’ DVD from one of my friends. I got two clay statues from my other friend. One is of a wizard casting a spell from a book laying on a tree stump. The other is of a dragon standing on a treasure with a crystal ball in one claw. Actually, now that I think about it, one of my friends said she bought me a present but I haven’t seen her since New Years. Two of my other friends are not very good on the whole financial side of things (a club I have joined recently) and they don’t celebrate Christmas due to different religious beliefs, so I just went to see them on DEC 25th and we spent some time together. My parents got me a cell phone, a belt-watch, clothes, chocolates, money ($100), and other assorted little things like a portable phone (really for the whole family).

What you said about the teacher you are inspired by is really insightful. I told myself last summer that I would one day get into the oldest clothes we have around the house and spend three days and two nights on the streets of Toronto to see how it is. I never got around to doing it because of the job I had at the time and the fact that my cousin came over to visit for three months from Slovakia.

Hey, about that Philosophy club you got going on, what sort of things do you do? Do you hold discussions? How are they? Anything insightful? Our first discussion meetings dealt with the topics of Love and Sex. We also had a prof come and speak on the topic of Logic. It was interesting. But unfortunately, due to my having Tuesdays and Thursdays off this semester, and the fact that I live 40km away from York I cannot attend the meetings (held Tuesdays) and think I may resign. I will probably reestablish my membership next year. This way I will atleast have more time to focus on school work.

Cordially,
~Magius

Silver Lilly stated:

Yes and No. I get the feeling all the time and as unbelievable as its going to sound, I always remember what I was thinking about, sooner or later.

Relax and tell yourself that you have all the time in the world, that you won’t lose the remnants of the thought. Give yourself five minutes of nothing but keeping an empty mind and I guarantee it will come to you. Also, if little ideas start popping up but their not what you were looking for, give them attention, I have found that they usually lead you to your thought. Also, try going to the exact location where you had the thought, I find this helps as well.

What’s your take?

Silver stated:

You know, it’s strange but when I come home at night (when it’s dark I mean) I always look up at the stars. It’s like a ritual, strangely, I don’t have a habit of doing it at any other time. I mean I do look at the stars at other times, but I don’t have a habit of doing it, I just do it randomly. For instance, I don’t have a habit of looking at the stars when I am leaving the house, instead I have a habit of taking a great big breath of fresh air. All this reminds me of something that is a little hard to say, for two reasons. Firstly, it is hard to describe in words. Secondly, it’s hard for others to believe. You see, one night after having argued with my ex-girlfriend for many hours, I came home about 3-4am. Parked the car, got out, and looked up at the stars…well, here is what I saw…I saw what resemble the northern lights except that there were hundreds, no thousands of strands of white cotton like things covering the whole sky and they were moving in one direction extremely quickly. It looked as though the earth’s spin had kicked it into warp 9. Moreover, these white strands had a multitude of colors interweaving between all the strands. It was like a light show, the best kind. I was so mesmerized that I stopped dead in my tracks and just stared into the zenith (astronomy term meaning, one looks straight up). Slowely the strands began to dissipate. It was at this point that I realized that what I may be seeing is something that may not happen again for thousands of years (you know how these astronomical things go), so I raced into my house and woke up my mother and took her outside on my front drive-way. There were still plenty of strands in the sky and she too became mesmerized. I thought long and hard, but in the end I decided to wake up my father as well, got him out on the front drive-way and we all watch the sky. Funny thing was that when I described it to my girlfriend (at the time) I asked her to tell her father about it, since he graduated university as an astro-physicist. It turns out that he said that nothing like that can happen and that I must be sorrily mistaken.

What’s your take?

Magius,
That’s really strange and interesting…and I don’t doubt that you saw what you’re describing.

. It must have been breathtaking.
You know, if you remember the date (somehow) you might be able to get articles on such a phenomenon occurring at that time. But that doesn’t sound very practical.
Maybe your girlfriend ( at the time)didn’t describe it to her father very accurately or perhaps her father really didn’t know about such phenomenon, but he shouldn’t have said that where were mistaken… you know how most professors are
The romantic sentiment would be that its one of those things to take to heart (and mind) and never forget. Like a gift to you from the universe. :wink: :unamused:

Thanks for the advice, but I was actually referring to how I can never remember to sign in :blush:

I would obviously try to avoid any such situation, but not to the extent that I would lie about it. Although peoples opinions of me do matter (friends, family…etc to an extent) and if I where to ever do something to make them look down on me I would feel shame and regret, I wouldn’t lie about it. And if it was something I believed in then I would be happy to face the music because I was doing what I thought was right.

To best answer your question, I tried putting myself in a hypothetical situation where I did something to a close friend of mine that really upset her. And I realized that I would tell her the truth even though I know she’ll be angry, because I’d hope she would, in time, understand what I did and why and so forgive me. Besides, lies cause so much crap, and uncertainty then eventually hurt, especially in relationships.

I think the brain has unlimited capacity, its just memory doesn’t. So you can know all this junk and useful facts, but it’s a matter of what you remember; the facts? Or the junk?.. heh heh … I happen to be in the latter of the two categories.

Lol… yah sure, but these lessens aren’t cheep you know.

naw… Your not crossing the line. I think what I find most attractive about certain guys is intelligence, sincerity and strength… Now you just know that im gunna have to ask you the same question…so what do you find attractive about an actual guy?.. he he … im just kidding.

Same… except I’m always called a nerd. Of course by my friends who say it very playfully, but they mean it, and I kind of take it as a complement. I really don’t think I am a nerd though, it’s just that every time they see me I’m either reading or researching or something; I suppose they get a little astonished. But we all have a good laugh of it.

I have three best friends who i think will remain my friend until we get older. We talk about everything from serious conversations about guys to physics to the pros of communism (AAA… don’t ask) and stupid conversation about nothing. Then I have the friends who are school friends, you know… go out with, have parties, make fun of, be silly with… but don’t really know them that well… Then there are acquaintances, people I say hi to, go get a drink with now and again and such. But I think I have more acquaintances than friends, and im pretty happy with that.
As for music, I don’t really listen to music actually. I just have one cd I burned and that’s about the only thing I listen to. It has mostly alternative music, one classical song, lots of theme songs and The Simpsons… yay… but that ones not a song… :unamused:

We generally have presenters come up and do a 30 or so min. presentation on a certain topic, and then we discuss. Our first one was on sexual perversion. It was actually really funny. The next one was done my one of my previously mentioned close friends. She did it on her own view of what communism should be like in order to work. You can imagine what an interesting discussion we had that meeting. Some meetings, however, we have no one scheduled to present anything so we usually brain storm ideas for a web site we want to get started, or talk about interesting books we’ve read… etc
It’s a very casual atmosphere.

Hey, guess what… I heard that my economics class is going to visit Schulich (sp?) sometime in February. I think we going to get a tour or something then sit in on an economics lecture… ( that part im really not looking forward to)

Silver stated:

How right you are.

About the telescope, and on a serious note, if you ever wish to borrow the telescope - let me know.

Silver stated:

Hmmm…what do you mean by intelligence? Like someone who can state the Darwinian evolution or someone who knows how to apply their knowledge in creative ways? What about strength, do you mean a strong will, strong physically, or strong as in dominating? I hope I’m not going to deep with this, if your uncomfortable talking about, I understand.

Silver stated:

Interesting, just out of curiosity, do you remember what those views were? I have somewhat of an interest in politics…not really with politics itself but the political theory.

Silver stated:

Great, I think you’ll enjoy the tour, although if I were you I would try to find some time to visit some of the colleges other than Schulich (visit Schulich too ofcourse). Some of the colleges are really nice. If you get a chance, you can visit Stong College - check out the basement, a room called the Olga Cirak room. It’s the undiclosed sleeping place. There are couches and seats, people take naps during all hours of the day. I have been known to visit there once in a while too. Calumet is my college, strangely I don’t have any classes in it. But if you get a chance, there is a beautiful painting outside the Calumet Pub, go see it.

Hey, check out the Mundane Babble forum, go into the thread ‘putting a name to a face…’ and check out the pics members have posted. Mine are up there, but for some reason my photos don’t work after a while. I mean, one minute they are there, the next minute it shows up with an x. I’m not sure why.

I’d write more but it’s 5:24am and I gotta be up at 10am for class.

What’s your take?

Silver,
something is wrong with the server that I placed my pictures in and they are no longer showing up argh

Silver stated:

I like your idea. Many people get constrained by what is properly called a pseudo-problem. Eistein was noted for saying that we use 10% of our brains, many people took this to be a pinnacle of knowledge, only the few who have read books on him know that he was joking. I myself was one who thought Einstein was serious, but that’s because of the context it was presented to me in, as it was for many other people. How easily rumours spread and stories change…

Anyway, here’s my idea of the brain…I’m a Cartesian in this sense, atleast a version of Cartesianism. I believe that all knowledge is contained in the mind, life consists of finding methods of taking out that knowledge and actualizing it in consciouseness, ie. Sports, Arts, Writing, Programming, Talking, etc. When I use mind I interchange it with brain, I am not convinced that they are the same thing, but I find it difficult to demarcate the two and not leave people confused in my usage of the two terms.

I thought it was funny how both our philosophy clubs started their debates on issues of sex. Strangely not many philosophers write on the topic, but apparently its on everyones mind.

Silver stated:

Are people from outside your highschool allowed to attend your philosophy meetings?

What’s your take?

YAY, my pics are working again thanks to Skeptic.

lol… aww… The first one looks nothing like the others…
I take it that the last picture was pretty old; I say that because you look so much younger in than in other two.

Hey thank you, you so kind…

Both, its important to know stuff, but equally so to have your own ideas and interpretations of what you know.

dominating?? :astonished:
Physical strength is attractive to me, and that’s part of what I meant. But also inner strength… uhh how can I put this… … its just something I feel … in …some …guys… err … I really can’t explain it.

Why would I feel uncomfortable?.. Besides, if I did i would tell you :wink:

By the way, thanks for info of the different places I could go see on campus.

…lol… I knew it!.. I knew you would ask something to do with that.
Major views: equality among people and government.
People do certain jobs because they want to for the good of the society and for their obligation to ‘the other’.
Everyone is obligated to do what is the best interest of everybody else ( that sort of deal).
There are elected members who represent the population and their overall wishes …etc
I think the reason she tried to demonstrate that communism could be good is because at least it strives for a perfect society. Probably never get there but at least it tries. Whereas capitalism, the mask of fascism, strives for what?.. more money, more power… screw the people, screw the weak… etc… etc :unamused:
If you’re really interested, I could ask her for a copy of her presentation.
But I found that there were a lot of holes and loose ends.

hey!.. i didn’t know that… it’s funny because I was talking to a friend of mine just the other day on how we ought to team up and figure out a way to ‘awaken’ the rest of our brain…

About your theory of the brain, i wonder if you borrowed something from Plato’s idea of knowledge being recollection?

Yah, of course… Actually my teacher suggested that we get guest speakers to come in now and again.

Anyhow … i have to go write an essay for economics now :frowning: , due tomorrow !! I really need to stop procrastinating.

Remember how i wrote:

umm, that was based on what i saw before the order got changed… so the first one is now the last one… and the last one is the middle photo…
:confused:

anyhoo… back to the essay…

The picture with me drinking the martini is closest because of the glasses, but honestly, it makes me look too old. The one with all the static is properly the best representation of how I actually look, except one needs to add the glasses.

Now when you say you like physical strengh, do you mean guys that are buffed up with steroids, guys that go around getting into fights, or guys that are just simply physically strong?

About your friends presentation, I don’t want you to go so far as to get me a copy of her presentation, maybe if she came on the board and just gave a summary of her views - that might be good. But then again, I trust your judgement, and if you found it to be full of holes and loose ends, than maybe its better to wait until she strengthens her arguments.

About my theory of the brain and plato, you might be right. I was influenced by both plato and socrates, well…they’re really the same person since it is plato writing from his recollection of the events of Socrates. Not to mention Aristotle and Descartes as other areas of thought influence.

Good luck on your essay :slight_smile:
I too find myself wandering over to ilp.com when I am working on an essay. Especially in those moments that I get thirsty and stop to get a drink, or go to the washroom, or eat, or when the phone rings, or when I get really agitated with the essay…I think you see where this is going. But because we know we do this, is exactly why we can stop it. Which is what I did, I specifically tell myself that ilp.com is off limits when I am doing an essay and I no longer have a problem. Strong will maybe, try it…

~Magius

aaaa… i finally got home… I feel so loved when I come in and am greeted my Daisy (cat), aww, she’s so cute. You’ll have to ignore me when I talk about cats.
Actually I just came from a philo club meeting… we’re planning a trip to UTM to audit a philosophy lecture, it should be interesting. The trick is going to be finding the right teacher to sit in on.
Speaking of university, i just applied last night… 3 hours before the deadline! But i think I’m going to change a bunch of stuff like what programmers and such.

…lol… just physically strong…

About me communist friend [J/k!], I’ve asked her to come on the forums so she might. Personally I don’t think she will, but I’ve also asked her if it’s ok to send you a copy of her pres and she said she doesn’t mind.

I wish I had your will power, but my mind simply wonders (taking my fingers …and eyes with it) off and usually to ilp or msn or something else.
It’s strange, sometimes I have to be doing something while i work in order to work. I mean, I have to either keep going back and forth between things i have to do, or do something else as I work. Except tv… cant work with tv.
eww… that’s enough talk about work for one lifetime …

By the way… on the other thread… the ‘put a face to the name’ one… you said you weren’t really happy despite the smile… but why? Besides, you’ve got a chocolate martini mmm (… well I’ve never tried it but it sounds good… mmm… chocolate…) that would make anyone happy :wink:
But seriously, why?.. err if of course you want to share…

humm… I think I’m having a craving

Also, I’ve been meaning to ask, what kind of martial arts do you do? I tried karate, long time ago, 2 years give or take. I think I made it to yellow…. Ahy! I can hear that you know… but I just didn’t continue with it. Me and I friend are going to try jujitsu next Thursday. Well not so much try, but watch a class and then decide whether to join or not. I really don’t wana get flipped but apparently I don’t have to worry about that yet cause they don’t flip you flip you until you get to the second level or something… but im not sure :confused:

Cats!
Did you say cats!?!
I love cats…but…err…umm…well, you see I am allergic to them. One of my friends, that I have been friends with for many years has four cats. Every time I come over I spend my time scratching my nose repetitively, which gets in the way since we usually play PS2 at his house. What kind of a cat is Daisy?

Enjoy your trip to UTM, what does that stand for? I assume UT mean University of Toronto, but what about the ‘M’?

Silver stated:

Didn’t she think it weird that some guy was interested in her views, a guy from a message board whom you nor her really know?

Silver stated:

It’s not how it looks, believe me, when it’s not ilp it’s the phone, or going out for a run, or watching TV, etc.

Silver stated:

Because of who I was with at the time (girlfriend). About the chocolate martini, LOL…it tastes like chocolate water, it smells amazing, and tastes even better.

Silver stated:

LOL. Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re definitely female. :wink:

Silver stated:

When I was really young, I believe 8 years old, I took Karate. But it doesn’t really count because I remember almost nothing from it. Later I took Kung-Fu where I learned alot and got what is till this day the best work-out I ever had, well…it’s tied with when I work out at home in the basement (I have a little gym going - weight set, bench press, boxing bag, and a little bit of space to move around). We moved, so I stopped taking Kung-Fu and took Tae-Kwon-Do in my area, it wasn’t bad, it increased my speed and my foot-work improved. After Tae-Kwon-Do I took Kung-Fu again near my house…that has a long story to it. I’ll save it for a later time. Anyway, my parents’ friends had a guy come over from Slovakia (where I am from) who taught, what is the equivalent of CSIS or CIA, in Slovakia; how to defend themselves. The style was the purest form of Aikido. He taught me for about three months, he also use to be a magician, as was I for about a year. So, he taught me Aikido and Magiciany, and I taught him the English language and Computers.
But the best experience I have had learning martial arts has been by expanding my own mind with ideas while working out in my basement or in the park behind my house (at night).

Silver stated:

How did you like it? What did you think of Karate? How come you didn’t continue? (I don’t mean to pry)

Silver stated:

LOL,LOL,LOL, “Me and I friend…” ah, you kill me. Me Magius, what for you do that? What the problem is? I’m not as think as I drunk I am, j/k. Just some funny things my friends and I say as intentional bad english.

Tell Daisy I say “Meowww…”
I’ve been told I have a really good imitation of an actual meoww that a cat makes. I think their right, I turn heads (cat’s heads) when I meow. LOL.

What’s your take silver lilly?

Why yes I did say cats!

ME TOO! AWW they’re SOO cute and agile and cute… awwww… That’s why I suggested you ignore me when i talk about cats… lol
Daisy is a tabby; white belly, black streak down her back and tip of tail, and sandy/gray body with black streaks and spots. During one of my conversations with her I mentioned you said hi, she asked who this guy saying hi to her was… I had to tell her I didn’t really know his name but he seems really nice… and smart… and after telling her all that I know about you she just had one question… What are you doing saying hi to a cat in the first place? … :laughing:

UTM stands for University of Toronto in Mississauga… its on Mississauga road… I’m sure you know it.

LOL… O GOD YES, THE PHONE! I’m surprised by the time I’m done an assignment it hasn’t fused to my ear yet.

…we need to stop this chocolate talk or I’m going to have to pay a visit to the convenience store…

SHUT UP! YOU TOOK KUNG-FU.?!? omygod that is soo cool! i’ve seem sooo many Kung-Fu movie it’s sad. One evening my younger brother and i decide to go rent a trilogy of kung-fu movies… took us till 7 am to finish them… but so worth it.
I really liked karate, still do… I thought it was so sequential but that may have been because i was a beginner. I remember we had to count out laud in Japanese, and that sparked my interest in the language so I took a Japanese course on the weekends and loved it.
But anyways, i didn’t continue because ( and i know this isn’t really the best excuse) i just didn’t have enough time.

dang… so you’re really capable aren’t you… that is amazing…

anyhow… i think theres something wrong with my account here because i keep seeing my name as one of the online useres when im not logged on… hummm

…as for my intentional bad English… ehem…yes …err… ‘intentional’ :blush: don’t be surprised if you see a lot of that… i don’t know who teached me to spoke and writing!

lastly, my friend didn’t think it was weird because I explained to her that i was on a philosophy forum where all sorts of ideas get tossed around, and it so happens I mentioned her presentation and there was some interest from a guy who wanted to hear more… besides, can we really know anyone? >> actually, im not sure if I’m being sarcastic or not…

silver stated:

I love cats, I have a strange relationship with them, every cat I have ever known has always liked me. Even cats that my friends had and warned me that they hate everyone and tend to hiss and claw at people they don’t know. I actually had a really strange encounter with a cat in the park behind my house. One night I went out for a run and there was this cat with the most peculiar look on it’s face staring at me. As strange as this is going to sound, we played. It would get up on its hind legs and we would box, not really box but just clap hands I guess. Then we played king of the hill, or in this case, king of the rock. There are big rocks in the park, the cat would run up on one and I would circle it and try to get up on the rock until finally it would jump off. Then I would get on the rock and the cat would start circling the rock around me, until I got off. Really strange I know…

Silver stated:

Well…yes and no. As much experience I have in martial arts, my actual experience in fighting on the street is almost nil. There is a huge difference there. I would bet all my money on an experienced street fighter who would be against a third degree black belt in just about any martial arts. Furthermore, I have always been, what seemed to be, soft; I guess. Meaning, very against getting into fights. For a long time I thought I was just a mouse inside and had not guts. But I later realized that there were a few moments in my life where there was a cause for defending myself or another, and I acted…rightly. But in the face of aridity and embarrasement, I must say I would take the embarassement over getting into a fight, to a certain degree. Most fights can be walked away from or settled by different means. I try to do that as much as possible. I realized that my inadequacy with my will to fight was not from myself, but what others thought. But as you probably know, people will do anything to see a fight without realizing or caring about whether there should or shouldn’t be a fight in the first place (objectively speaking) - nor do they realize the very nature of the fight and just what it could lead to. I remember, that in grade 8 I got into a fight with a guy who went to punch me and I reacted fast enough for my fist to hit him first. I hit him so hard that he fell to the ground and began yelling he’s blind. Ofcourse I didn’t believe him and jumped on him to give him some more. He and other people later confided to me that he really was blind at that moment (I think I hit him on or near his temple - similar temporary blindnesses have happened in such cases). So if anything, martial arts has given me a sense of human mortality which is often foreshadowed by ego, reputation, and rage in confusion. For fighting really is nothing more than a lack of solving a problem in any other way than the fighters can think of - hence, confusion and stupidity.

I also wanted to mention, although I have never taken any personal instructions on the art, I did study quite thoroughly the martial art called Jeet Kune Do, which became well known thanks to Bruce Lee. I have two of his books and I did the good old, look at pictures and diagrams and then try them out yourself teaching. Plus, I agree with much of Bruce Lee’s philosophy.

About your friends views on communism, if you like and if it isn’t too much trouble, send them to me and I’ll let you know what I think.

What’s your take?