Utopian society

this came up while talking with a friend. what would it be like to live in this city/collective where everything is sorted out by a giant machine, you don’t have to worry about pollution, food, etc etc. all you have to do is worry about what to do. surely you’d just get bored of it, soon enough everything would be just the same as you wouldn’t have to spend 5 days a week working you would have just constant recreation time. i don’t know, it’s odd…

go to the perfect world post. the answer is there.

thanx

sounds like childhood to me, and ok at times i was bored, but then looking at it in comparision i’d say it would be as the subject header.

thats if the giant machine kept everything including our childish behaviour in check…

whatever

The problem arises only because of prior experience. If you’d never lived in this world, this culture, then you wouldn’t find your utopia a problem. Chances are you wouldn’t find it utopian, though. Because we have an entire social landscape to compare to our idea of utopia though, and so we’d have two universes to compare, I don’t think it’d be possible to see one as conclusively and completely better than the other.

I would love this world

Maybe you would all become like hippies and find butterfly amusing to watch for a couple of hours. We would have time to do what we like… reading, righting, playing games, doing sports, having babies…

Do you think working is the only thing that isn’t boring in life? I think the contrary… there are so many things to do an see, and we spend about 105600 hours, 13200 days of our lives working!

People who think that a life without work would be boring should try to find more interesting things in the world because that’s a sad prospective

I find people who base their whole life upon each pay check and do not care what action they have to get it either brilliant or mad. especially if they dont like doing the action.

makes me feel dirty doing something i wont want to do just for money.

I feel sort of the same way. I would never do something that goes against my principles, for example, either i want to do it or not.

I don’t think the job i do damages my principles, it doesn’t help it though and that’s a reason why i don’t like it. But, if i would do what i like i wouldn’t get paid for it enough to pay the rent and feed my family… unfortunatelly in this world everything is about money… and i would love not to depend on it to live.

Live could be so simple, yet, we bring so much problem into it.

Sex is the first thing that comes to mind. :wink:
Like big brother, it would be far more about relations between people(more on the instinct of sex:) but it would be soo boring. The good point about work is it takes your mind of things. But no work, no money you would have to keep physically active: competition between people in sports would be massive! (A source of violence-gladiator style.) Familys again choosing mates.
But really i dont know, what people would do? You would be more with the raw essence of life.- intoxication in music, poetry, book’s, spirtuality, people, myths, food and art(& mind altering drugs :unamused: ) would all be soo different: the hunter gatherer mode simply wouldnt be needed. Infact would it not just add to hate and resentment between people? Rules: would they even be needed? Morality?

Its great a thought to contemplate. Working the best part of your life now and to what end: money! Dont get me wrong today life is interesting,-- but better than the way people once lived (i dont think so!) Beggers cant be choosers.

utopia is like man made heaven.

sex succedes in utopian climates only because it is mother natures true form of competition.

Constant recreation time sounds nice. The problem, as I see it, comes in the form of our needs. We have grown so dependant on the industry to provide us with our basic needs that it would be really difficult to break away from that and supply themselves with adequate provisions due to overpopulation and limited nutrient rich land. If we are all busy recreating or procreating, then who is going to feed and clothe us?
No matter how you look at it, someone is going to have to break a sweat occasionally. Whether they should have to do it 40+ hours a week is debatable, but constant recreation time is going to be a problem unless we can figure out a way to make food and other needs production an enjoyable endeavor.
It’s possible.

Constant recreation time in a brave new world…

If we had constant recreation time then we would have more time to think and I think we would all be alot more intelligent, at the moment we only use about 10% or our brain so if we were put to this situation I think we would start to use it more.
But everyone has a different idea of what utopia is and so it is impossible for one to exist anyway.

Funny, I get a sense of pride when I stick it out through a tough days work in order to support myself so that my parents and the rest of society don’t have to.

Must be me.