Does infinity exist?

You better get to it then.

What flaccid academic pedantry has overtaken this thread since the horde left it.

Infinity is a subclass of finite? I think we’re done here. If you can’t even stipulate that finite and infinite are opposites – that infinite means not finite, and finite means not infinite – then it’s difficult to imagine what further dialog could look like.

Hello Serendiper,

Trust you are well. Thank you for your response and for your welcoming me. It has been a long time and it is good to be back. I was a member here for many many years going back as far as 2002. I went through two names/avatars/nicknames, specifically “Magius” and “The Gadfly of ILP”. You can see my posts by checking those names. None of the veterans appear to be here anymore and it will take some time to get my grounding. I feel more at ease with your hospitality. Thank you.

Having said that, allow me to get to the thick of things.

You said:

I’m not sure I understand your full meaning here but if I understand your words, you are saying that infinity that which is beyond or exceeds beyond or is bigger than our universe. My point is that the word “infinity” and it’s meaning don’t point to anything real except for our ignorance. Some would say, much like the word “God”. Either there is something beyond our universe or there isn’t. It either has physical reality or not. Regardless of those conditions, the word infinity doesn’t express anything about actual reality outside of our relative perspective. Because we say A or B is infinite, doesn’t mean it is, it just mean’s we haven’t found a way to measure it yet or to comprehend the thing properly. I wanted to clarify that because you appeared to agree with me though you were agreeing with a straw man fallacy (unintentionally). Infinity is relative to ourselves and not connected to physical reality. Put another way, there is nothing you can point to or show and say “Aha, THAT is infinity!”

You said:

But we do add more and that is why we are advancing, slowly, not just in what we consider to be infinite (space, stars, light, etc). What was once limited for us to count or measure is now measurable, like the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

Regards,
~Magius

Yes of course they are opposites.

But I’m suggesting that any finite number that is bigger than our universe is absolutely indistinguishable from any other concepts of infinity. Once the limits of the universe have been exceeded, it makes no difference to anything within the universe to exceed them more.

The immeasurably great has all the same implications and ramifications as a true infinite. If there is a finite number that can never be represented in any way within this universe, then why do we need a bigger number and how will we know when we have it?

What a turn of events… I’m the newbie :smiley: Welcome back! It’s a bit slow around here now, but perhaps it will pickup soon.

Yes, like Gauss said, “I protest against the use of infinite magnitude as something completed, which is never permissible in mathematics. Infinity is merely a way of speaking, the true meaning being a limit which certain ratios approach indefinitely close, while others are permitted to increase without restriction.”

Infinity is never anything you can point to because it can never be anything “completed” by definition which is why I say it can’t be thought of as existing.

I see what you’re saying about precision, but I think there are hard limits to the universe. For instance, we can’t measure anything smaller than the spacetime fabric since there is no such thing smaller than the thing that determines what size means. It’s like measuring the distance south of the south pole. Once we measure down to a certain size, location loses meaning. And what does it mean to be bigger than the universe if the universe is the only thing that determines what size means? And what does it mean to be bigger than that? Once we exceed the limits of the thing that determines meaning, exceeding it more doesn’t change anything.

On the infinite

by

DAVID HILBERT

math.dartmouth.edu//~matc/R … sophy.html

Some highlights:

• But a still more general perspective is relevant for clarifying the concept of the infinite. A careful reader will find that the literature of mathematics is glutted with inanities and absurdities which have had their source in the infinite. For example, we find writers insisting, as though it were a restrictive condition, that in rigorous mathematics only a finite number of deductions are admissible in a proof — as if someone had succeeded in making an infinite number of them.

• Before turning to the task of clarifying the nature of the infinite, we should first note briefly what meaning is actually given to the infinite. First let us see what we can learn from physics. One’s first naïve impression of natural events and of matter is one of permanency, of continuity. When we consider a piece of metal or a volume of liquid, we get the impression that they are unlimitedly divisible, that their smallest parts exhibit the same properties that the whole does. But wherever the methods of investigating the physics of matter have been sufficiently refined, scientists have met divisibility boundaries which do not result from the shortcomings of their efforts but from the very nature of things. Consequently we could even interpret the tendency of modern science as emancipation from the infinitely small. Instead of the old principle natura non facit saltus, we might even assert the opposite, viz., “nature makes jumps.”

• In addition to matter and electricity, there is one other entity in physics for which the law of conservation holds, viz., energy. But it has been established that even energy does not unconditionally admit of infinite divisibility. Planck has discovered quanta of energy.

• Hence, a homogeneous continuum which admits of the sort of divisibility needed to realize the infinitely small is nowhere to be found in reality. The infinite divisibility of a continuum is an operation which exists only in thought. It is merely an idea which is in fact impugned by the results of our observations of nature and of our physical and chemical experiments.

• [i]We have already seen that the infinite is nowhere to be found in reality, no matter what experiences, observations, and knowledge are appealed to. Can thought about things be so much different from things? Can thinking processes be so unlike the actual processes of things? In short, can thought be so far removed from reality? Rather is it not clear that, when we think that we have encountered the infinite in some real sense, we have merely been seduced into thinking so by the fact that we often encounter extremely large and extremely small dimensions in reality?

Does material logical deduction somehow deceive us or leave us in the lurch when we apply it to real things or events? No! Material logical deduction is indispensable. It deceives us only when we form arbitrary abstract definitions, especially those which involve infinitely many objects. In such cases we have illegitimately used material logical deduction; i.e., we have not paid sufficient attention to the preconditions necessary for its valid use. In recognizing that there are such preconditions that must be taken into account, we find ourselves in agreement with the philosophers, notably with Kant. Kant taught — and it is an integral part of his doctrine — that mathematics treats a subject matter which is given independently of logic. Mathematics, therefore, can never be grounded solely on logic. Consequently, Frege’s and Dedekind’s attempts to so ground it were doomed to failure.[/i]

• [i]In summary, let us return to our main theme and draw some conclusions from all our thinking about the infinite. Our principal result is that the infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought — a remarkable harmony between being and thought. In contrast to the earlier efforts of Frege and Dedekind, we are convinced that certain intuitive concepts and insights are necessary conditions of scientific knowledge, and logic alone is not sufficient. Operating with the infinite can be made certain only by the finitary.

The role that remains for the infinite to play is solely that of an idea [/i]

So that’s that.

But…

There is one quote that gave me pause:

Although euclidean geometry is indeed a consistent conceptual system, it does not thereby follow that euclidean geometry actually holds in reality. Whether or not real space is euclidean can be determined only through observation and experiment. The attempt to prove the infinity of space by pure speculation contains gross errors. From the fact that outside a certain portion of space there is always more space, it follows only that space is unbounded, not that it is infinite. Unboundedness and finiteness are compatible.

He draws distinction between infinity and the unbounded which undermines the definition I first proposed.

An analogy is the money supply, which is unbounded, but always finite.

So the definition of the infinite must be stipulated that it is not unbounded in potentiality, but actuality. The money supply may be unbounded in theoretical potential, but it can never be actually unbounded, meaning that an infinite amount of money would already exist.

This is similarly so with numbers: the quantity of numbers may be theoretically unbounded given the inference that we could always add more, but to therefore claim infinite numbers must already exist is a fallacy of speculation no different than saying an infinite amount of money exists right now merely because it has an untested and theoretical potential to exist.

Just like new money is issued when needed, new numbers are created when needed and new space is created when needed, but none of these things are actually infinite.

David notes that infinity does not exist in reality, but I maintain infinity cannot exist because that which has no boundaries is not a thing and the unattainable potential can never be existent as an actuality.

I think you’re honing in on the full explanation.

Key is that all human conceptions of the universe are naturally less than complete, qualitatively speaking, and thus for any conception to even make some claim to pertinence it must explicitly be open ended.

So positing infinity as a concept is an excuse for falling short in concrete terms. Any concrete terms fall short of the whole. Infinity isn’t a concrete term.

The part can’t encompass the whole and a thought, an idea, is a part of the universe.

I think we’re all (at least you and I) in agreement that (as far as we know) no actual infinity is instantiated in nature. That is consistent with our current understanding of physics.

What I don’t understand about your point of view is why you reject purely mathematical infinity. After all, mathematical infinity is “just an idea,” as you say. It’s an abstraction like the game of chess. Unlike chess, math is useful in the world. That doesn’t make it real, just a useful abstraction like law and money and property and all the other abstractions on which civilization is built.

I do believe that Wittgenstein may have said something along the lines that words and ideas gain meaning from their use. So that the number 3 is an abstraction, but every time we use it in the world, as in 3 books or 3 planets, we give meaning to the abstraction.

Can you explain to me what is your objection to mathematical infinity regarded as a pure abstraction? And even perhaps as an abstraction that gains meaning from its use in modern physical science? My understanding is that you object to infinity even as a mathematical abstraction, please clarify if I’ve got that wrong.

I’m honing in on where I cannot go :smiley:

Maybe we must realize a marriage between precision and vagary.

Yes I think so. Thoughts are part of the universe and therefore thoughts cannot embrace the universe. Trying to embrace the universe with an aspect of the universe results in infinite regression which is evidence that the initial assumption was false.

As David said, [i]"We have already seen that the infinite is nowhere to be found in reality, no matter what experiences, observations, and knowledge are appealed to. Can thought about things be so much different from things? Can thinking processes be so unlike the actual processes of things? In short, can thought be so far removed from reality? Rather is it not clear that, when we think that we have encountered the infinite in some real sense, we have merely been seduced into thinking so by the fact that we often encounter extremely large and extremely small dimensions in reality?

Does material logical deduction somehow deceive us or leave us in the lurch when we apply it to real things or events? No! Material logical deduction is indispensable. It deceives us only when we form arbitrary abstract definitions, especially those which involve infinitely many objects. In such cases we have illegitimately used material logical deduction; i.e., we have not paid sufficient attention to the preconditions necessary for its valid use."[/i]

This arrived in the news yesterday:

Matter Sucked in by Black Holes May Travel into the Future, Get Spit Back Out

[i]Astronomers and physicists have long held that the idea of a singularity simply must be wrong. If an object with mass has no size, then it has infinite density. And, as much as researchers throw around the word “infinity,” infinities of that kind don’t exist in nature. Instead, when you encounter an infinity in a real, physical, science situation, what it really means is that you’ve pushed your mathematics beyond the realm where they apply. You need new math.

It’s easy to give a familiar example of this. Newton’s law of gravity says that the strength of the gravitational attraction changes as one over the distance squared between two objects. So if you took a ball located far from Earth, it would experience a certain weight. Then, as you brought it closer to Earth, the weight would increase. Taking that equation to the extreme, as you brought the object near to the center of Earth, it would experience an infinite force. But it doesn’t.

Instead, as you bring the object close to the surface of Earth, Newton’s simple law of gravity no longer applies. You have to take into account the actual distribution of Earth’s mass, and this means that you need to use different and more complex equations that predict different behavior. Similarly, while Einstein’s theory of general relativity predicts that a singularity of infinite density exists at the center of black holes, this can’t be true. At very small sizes, a new theory of gravity must come into play. We have a generic name for this new theory: It’s called quantum gravity.[/i]

All this is just to say that when we encounter infinity, it means we’ve done something wrong.

I just posted that from David Hilbert because I was listening to debate involving William Lane Craig who used a quote from David which prompted me to look it up and discover that document which I posted here solely so I would know where it is and it wasn’t meant to prod you in any way. One of the purposes of this thread is to be a “junk drawer” where I can stuff articles that I randomly stumble upon in order to consolidate evidence. That’s all that was about.

I don’t object to the use of infinity as a “play thing” just like Christopher Hitchens didn’t object to religion being a “toy” of the religious, but my objection is when the toy is asserted to be more than a toy. It’s actually a funny analogy youtube.com/watch?v=d2vqwZActbQ

Studying math for the sake of math is really cool and I’m only objecting to pretending it’s more than that. I think that’s all I’m saying.

As David said, “In summary, let us return to our main theme and draw some conclusions from all our thinking about the infinite. Our principal result is that the infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought.”

Infinity doesn’t exist in nature and neither does it exist in the mind, although we can pretend it does through inference and then draw conclusions from that for whatever reason.

[s]Who is doing that? You’re making a strawman argument. You’ve been bitterly complaining about set theory for pages now. I’m asking you why.

And if math is only a fiction, how is it that all of modern science is based on it? You seem unable to engage with this important question.

If you need a place to store your thoughts, you could try a private blog or a pad of paper. This is a public discussion forum where you’ve made many claims that are open to objection, not least because many of your statements contradict each other and/or established science and math. You’ve gone on for weeks objecting to modern math; and when challenged directly, you claim you don’t actually mean anything you say but are only using this forum as a scratchpad for your confused ideas and random quote-mining. Early on all you were capable of was throwing insults at me. At least you’ve stopped that. But why don’t you try to learn something about the subject instead of just Googling around for quotes that are no longer even on topic? And why is it that you have the time to Google irrelevant quotes but don’t have the time to click on the Wiki link that gives specific examples of the need for precise reasoning about changing the order of multiple integrals, which you explicitly asked me for? Your presentation in this thread makes you out to be an unserious person, arguing in a disingenuous manner.

Don’t you want to try to learn anything?[/s]

Ah fuck it. I’m outta here. All the best.

I thought it was a fairly harmless thing to say. You’re acting as if math studied for the enjoyment of math is somehow inferior to math studied for some goal or purpose and have therefore construed my comment as offensive. Chess is a toy, but is being good at chess a bad thing? Is describing chess as a toy a bad thing? Where is the offensiveness?

Whoever is pretending infinity applies outside of math.

The only thing I can remember bitterly complaining about was the stubbornness surrounding the definition of infinity. The only thing I remember claiming about set theory is that I couldn’t find anything about it within 1200 pages of my calculus book, and that was only in response to your assertion that set theory underpins calculus. Then we transitioned to higher math where I said “math for the sake of math” then you got all pissed off because I dis’d math and here we are.

It’s not fiction, but a tool that can be misapplied. It also can model fictitious things. Math can do more than what we would describe as “real” and just because math makes a claim, doesn’t mean it will match reality. But neither can we say math is worthless because it often matches reality. It’s tool to be used intelligently with proper assumptions. Garbage in = garbage out.

The reason they are public is because I want peer review, but not dogmatic digging-in in stubborn refusal to concede a point. This should be a collaboration and not a competition.

I know my ideas on infinity conflict with ideas of many mathematicians, but I’m not aware of other contradictions and it would be helpful if you’d point them out.

I posted an article from livescience today, written by Don Lincoln, Senior Scientist, Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory; Adjunct Professor of Physics, University of Notre Dame, that said:

Astronomers and physicists have long held that the idea of a singularity simply must be wrong. If an object with mass has no size, then it has infinite density. And, as much as researchers throw around the word “infinity,” infinities of that kind don’t exist in nature. Instead, when you encounter an infinity in a real, physical, science situation, what it really means is that you’ve pushed your mathematics beyond the realm where they apply. You need new math. livescience.com/64332-black … avity.html

As far as I can tell, I’m in sync with all but mainstream mathematicians.

Where did I say I didn’t mean what I say? I guess if I said it, I obviously didn’t mean it :wink:

You’re insulting me by characterizing my ideas as confused and then insulting me again for formerly insulting you. I should be insulting you now in retaliation, but have recognized that you’re casting yourself in a bad light with your attacks on me. Honestly, I don’t want to see you go, but I just want this silliness to end. I’d prefer to have the perspective of a mathematician available.

Live and learn. There are other things going on in my life too that makes having patience for certain things more difficult.

What is not on topic? I’m not rummaging around the net for random quotes. The quotes from David Hilbert came in response to William Lane Craig who quoted him in a debate, so I found the document and posted it. Other quotes came either from links you sent me or from Wildberger. The livescience quote came from google news yesterday. I’m not looking for authorities to appeal to, but will take them if they fall in my lap. And as they fall in my lap, I wanted a thread to post them into so they would be all in one place and open to discussion.

Because I’m not interested in that topic, it’s expensive in terms of neural energy, your claim is counterintuitive, and I’m not confident, even if your object were valid, that it would lead anywhere. It’s a confluence of powerful forces sapping my motivation. I asked you to explain it to me and you declined. Maybe you aren’t confident it would accomplish anything either, which isn’t doing much for my motivation to learn about it.

So why would it matter if we integrate in the x before the y, and how do we know which is the right answer for the average temperature, and what does this have to do with practical applications of infinity? The plates aren’t infinite… the temperature isn’t infinite… and there aren’t even infinite slices in the plates because there is a smallest size in the universe, so where does infinity fit in?

I’ve resigned myself to having to start a new thread eventually to consolidate what’s in this thread, so perhaps I’ll do better with the next iteration.

I’d like to learn the answer to those questions, but not enough to struggle through that wiki article.

Perhaps you’ll reconsider. I’d prefer if you’d stay, but I can’t say you’re right if I don’t think you are and I don’t see why you’d want me to.

Or, we could stop believing something as limited in scope as mathematics could be expected attain any comprehensive logical precision.

Frankly mankinds deference before math is autistic. It is a direct explanation of the state of the world and man’s imagined impotency to do anything about it.

Exactly.
For discerning what is valid use I developed value ontology.
A hell of a lot more taxing than mathematics, as it not only requires perfect exactitude but also actual experiential terms rather than only abstractions.

In other words it requires not just a sharp intelligence but also footing in the world and, for lack of a better word, a heart. I can hardly think of a weaker idea than that to understand something you need to strip it of all its actual existence.

Your ideas derived from Watts are deeply pertinent here.
Also what you said about the struggle and immersion, the rewiring of neuron webs required to get there. I’ve talked about that a lot too. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.
We may just get somewhere decent as a species.

Perfect.

As an example of how shallow mathematicians are in their logic, I can show how easily I resolved the so called contradiction between Relativity and QM.

In fact Relativity itself produces the uncertainty principle.

A quantum like an electron is, like every amount of energy, a reference frame. It can only be properly defined in its own terms. So to approach this minuscule reference frame from the relatively massive reference frame of a technological instrumentarium could logically not produce any straightforward results about such things as “location” and “momentum”.

Einstein also requested to Freud that he resolve human cruelty. Mathematicians are generally very naive about actual existence. It may have arisen as a form of escapism. In any case that is what it has become.

Existence ostensibly relies on conflict. Mathematics is of all forms of thought the least equipped to deal with this.

Math is just another tool in the toolbox and although sometimes a screwdriver can be a chisel or prybar, it’s not necessarily optimized for it. Tools usually have to be implemented intelligently.

I’m beginning to think there isn’t a tidy method or one particular way that works, as much as we’d like there to be, much like we can’t write every situation into law and therefore we need judges with a sense of equity to fill the voids left by reaching the limits of precision. These philosophical topics are increasingly drawing me into the Middle Way.

Precision/vagary
particles/waves
prickles/goo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vHnM8WPvU[/youtube]

You have a remarkable skill for succinctly summarizing situations :slight_smile:

Sopranos fan?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoii3OUAHnU[/youtube]

00:35

Tony: I need proof. I’m not gonna hurt a man that I love because some cop gossip from a degenerate fucking gambler with a badge. You understand me?

Vin: You know, you got an amazing ability to sum up a man’s whole life in a single sentence: degenerate gambler with a badge, huh.

:smiley:

Help me understand what you mean by “value”. Do you mean “desire”? An atom desires to have a stable electron configuration? If that is what you mean, then I think we may be on the same page, though I approached it from the eastern angle and have concluded that desire seems fundamental to everything and to be absent desire is not to exist. You’ve honed in from a different angle with different terminology and it could be that we’ve arrived at the same place, but “value” is a very confusing word for me because it has so many interpretations.

Hopefully 1 out of the 3 will suffice if by “heart” you mean “determination”. :slight_smile:

“Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “Press On” has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race.”- Calvin Coolidge

Another insightful summary!

That probably explains the old adage of “sleeping on it” to make important decisions. The brain may need time to grow or somehow arrange itself to better model or conceptualize a situation which can then be seen clearer for a better decision. From my own experience with Watts, I feel I had to grow eyes to see what he was presenting and it wasn’t easy. I listened to some presentations 30 times and still learned something, which meant that nuggets flew right over my head 30 times without my noticing. Birds that fly high indeed look small! But now I can see clearer and spot those birds because I grew the tools necessary to do so.

I think the brain can be rewired and neurons can grow, so I believe (contrary to popular opinion) that intelligence can be taught. Just like muscles can be trained to support heavier loads, the brain can be trained to support heavier ideas by forming the necessary neural network, which is the supporting framework capable of modeling what previously couldn’t be conceived. The problem is often the ego… people can’t let go of what they already think is right, either due to self-esteem issues or narcissism. If true, then intelligence is mainly a function of humility or the extent to which one can be wrong and switch sides.

I know what you mean.

The Catholic Church issued apology in 1992 for persecuting Galileo and in 1995 for burning people at the stake, 400 years later! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a … hn_Paul_II

Yes, it doesn’t makes sense to probe an electron with something bigger than an electron.

In 1983 an American developmental psychologist Howard Gardener described 9 types of intelligence:

Naturalist (nature smart)
Musical (sound smart)
Logical-mathematical (number/reasoning smart)
Existential (life smart)
Interpersonal (people smart)
Bodily-kinesthetic (body smart)
Linguistic (word smart)
Intra-personal (self smart)
Spatial (picture smart)

blog.adioma.com/9-types-of-inte … fographic/

Serendipper - I’ve used the term value because all of its meanings apply as the same principle in different contexts. Indeed desire is a main human context. But I see loyalty (when taken in the same semantic manner as you propose we take desire) as at leat as fundamental. Stability, consistency. For me terms like consciousness and desire are rather too specific but it is clear we aren’t in contradiction.

I’ve spent some 20 years with rigorous meditation, Zen to begin with, yoga and later western occultism on top of that, coupled with martial arts, Shaolin and Tai Chi, the first years that was many hours each day. And it’s absolutely the case that this has formed the background to my emerged understanding.

I am a Sopranos fan and I much enjoyed that compliment. A memorable character, that detective. I think its around the same time whem Tony has to deal with these Hasidic Jews
“Hasidim but I don’t believe 'em” in Paulies immortal words.
Or: “and the Romans, where are they now? "
“You’re looking at em asshole.”
But then, " this guy is a bull. If we don’t kI’ll him we should put him to work.”
Fantastic show. No wonder Gandolfini couldn’t live on after it was done.
I mention the Hasids as a playful reference to our earlier clash on BTL. I’m very much a Zionist, for reasons more complex and dark than can be said aloud. It’s very nice that we do see eye to eye on philosophy proper. Politics is nasty by nature, philosophy is not.

I’ve been winding down my forum activities after 17 years, so Im wary of going all the way again into explaining this logic I developed between East and West, I’ve done this hundreds f times across the Web with different names and I’m very satisfied that a lot of my focus on valuing now echos in all kinds of media. I’m all about grassroots insurgency of ideas.

The thread “the Philosophers” in nonphilosophical chat has become a kind of archive of some of my work. I think of online writing as scattering seeds knowing that some of them will take root. I don’t believe in directly convincing people. “You only see what your eyes want to see” , with Madonna, an unlikely person to quote. But since you’re able to understand much I’ll give one last summary here.

I’ve called this phenomenon of selectivity self-valuing logic, though this is misleading as one only vales oneself through ones external values such as first of all oxygen and other unconsciously held values, of which one only becomes conscious when they fall away - or when one practices meditation. On a conscious leven we get desires and on an even more conscious level, moral values.
Some say oxygen isn’t a value. But let’s see them discard it in favour of some money before we believe them.
So I see breathing as valuing. And valuing, if it amounts to the perpetuation of the being, as self-valuing. Not the valuing of a self (the self is an illusion) but the valuing of valuing.

It’s tough to put into grammar. Grammar itself is a presupposed structure that is false. There is no fundamental difference between the subject, the verb, the object; the being is artificially split into this trinity for the sake of communicating some utilitarian messages. But utility itself is a specific value.
I recommend a look at the thread “the ontological thranny” started by without-music, a poster of some genius who was here for a short while in 2011.
Beyond all this I wish you good “demon days” as the Vikings called this solstice time, and take care of yourself, and keep up your kung fu, meaning literally, as far as my knowledge of Cantonese goes, good work.

PS tying the thought of infinity to the expression “sleeping on it”, a bit I wrote to a friend recently;

"Any selfvaluing is an epistemic standard, meaning a limited holder of truth. Its being relies on its limitedness, as you explain. Knowledge is obviously reliant on being limited. Too many ways to clarify that. And that’s at the genesis of my own understanding of being as selfvaluing; seeing the scientific method as a form of severe limitation of what constitutes knowledge. Precisely because it refuses almost every form of knowing, it becomes almost indistinguishable from knowledge itself.

There is no negation of continuity in the absence of it. Continuity of what? Continuity in life also doesn’t exist. We must sleep precisely because of the ruptures that [lie] between literally everything. We must negate the positive being and lose ourselves each day just in order to not contradict the contents of own consciousness by putting them into some vessel."

I think this is what Spinoza tried to get at. Or maybe he did, I never finished the Ethica, and I know only one old poster here who did, a guy named Dunamis. He was banned long ago, but it’s worth looking into some of his posts. There is a lot of treasure hidden on the site. Your own posts are always substantive and with interesting references and must be counted among such treasures.

I’m a sucker for a kind word. But I was confused by this:

I took that to mean that when I dared to post to this thread you regretted “prodding” me. I was genuinely insulted and demoralized. I thought we were having a conversation, but apparently you prefer me to stay unprodded.

So which is it? Now that I’m going to respond to your latest post will you regret prodding me? Or will you appreciate my taking the time to provide my perspective? No way for me to know, is there. But ok what the hell. Happy New Year by the way. Here’s my response to your latest.

??? What ??? If anything I have the opposite point of view. I agree with G.H Hardy (played by Jeremy Irons in The Man Who Knew Infinity. I highly recommend it) that the best math is by definition the most useless math.

You are mischaracterizing my words and viewpoint 180 degrees. You’re attacking a strawman. That adds to my frustration with this conversation. Was I unclear? Is your reading comprehension bad? Are you just deliberately lying about what I said? Hard for me to know. Do you already regret prodding me again? Or do you wish I’d contribute? Hard to know.

Would that include every physicist since Newton? I’ve asked you this before. Modern physical science is based on infinitary math. Whether that’s a necessary or a contingent fact we don’t yet know. But the empirical fact remains. No infinitary math and you throw science back to the Middle ages. Is that your intention? I have asked you this several times now without getting a direct response.

I imagine that when you learned to drive a car, you were not first required to master metallurgy and automotive engineering. Do you take that as evidence that these disciplines do not actually underlie the act of driving a car? Or is it perhaps more likely that these disciplines are in fact essential to the very existence of cars, but that we don’t teach them to beginning drivers, in favor of simply teaching them how not to hit things?

Which it certainly does. I assume you can operate a light switch and were not first required to master the subject of electrical power generation. In calculus we teach people a rote procedure to “pull down the exponent and subtract 1.” We do not show beginning students Newton’s application of the fact that the binomial theorem can be extended to real-valued exponents.

It’s perfect clear historically that Newton worked with infinitary math. Would you really send us all back to the pre-Newtonian world?

Yet another vile mischaracterization of what I actually said. Now I’m reminded of why I quit this thread in disgust.

So now you DO agree that math underpins modern physical science? Or are you still demanding that we take science back to the year 1500 or so?

Project much?

Well now you’re contradicting yourself again. Do you or do you not agree that math is valid within itself; and does happen to be supremely useful? If you agree that math for the sake of math is valid, then exactly WHAT ARE your ideas on infinity? What do you know that all the mathematicians in the world don’t?

I perfectly well agree. But I wonder: WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS? From my first post in this thread I have agreed that (as far as we know, to the limits of contemporary physical theory) there is no actual infinity instantiated in the world. Since I have long ago agreed with this point, why are you acting as if making this point again somehow counts as an intelligent comment in response to anything I’ve said?

All but mainstream mathematicians? So you know something that 140 years of professional mathematicians don’t? What would that be exactly?

What does “all but the mainstream” mean? Are you saying you’re in line with the mathematical cranks? How does that help your credibility?

You’ve already agreed that math is perfectly fine as an abstract game. That’s the philosophical doctrine of mathematical formalism. But now you claim that you oppose even the formalism. WHICH IS IT?

Yeah, that I believe.

So then why should I bother? Do you regret “prodding” me today? Or do you appreciate my point-by-point response to your remarks? How would I know what mood you’re in? You know you could always write your response in a text file and sit on it for a day to make sure you’re saying what you mean and not reacting irrationally to whatever’s going on in your life. That would be a tactic that would enable you to post more coherently.

Craig is the worst kind of sophist. Let’s not go down that road. But your Hilbert quote was about the physical world, and I’ve already said many times that I agree that (as far as we currently know) there are no actual infinities in the physical world. So your quote was totally off topic when directed to me.

Why? It’s off-topic to our discussion, which is about mathematical infinity.

Good God man, Wildberger is an absolute crank on the subject of infinity. Who are you trying to fool? Not me, since I’m extremely familiar with Wildberger’s work.

Authorities about what? You’re not making any actual point. You have said both that

• You are perfectly fine with modern mathematical formalism regarding infinity; and

• You absolutely oppose modern mathematical formalism regarding infinity.

Which is it? State your freaking thesis and defend it. Stop going back and forth on this point.

Yet you explicitly asked me for the examples of situations in which the order of a multiple integration matters. Once again you are just playing games. You ask me for the examples, I point you to the examples, you refuse to click on the link, and then you say you have no interest. THEN WHY THE F*CK DID YOU ASK??? Just playing games. Not a serious person at all.

It’s one of the examples of the need for precision and rigor in the foundations of math. The details of Fubini’s theorem are not important. The necessity of a clear and precise theorem is the point.

You ask me a question, I point to the answer, you claim you were never interested. That’s why I say you are not serious about learning or thinking or conversating.

I pointed to the link on Wiki. If I thought Wiki did a bad job I’d do a better one. In this particular case, Wiki’s presentation is spot on and I could not improve on it.

You don’t need to dive into the details. They’re unimportant. What is important is that the examples exist. The 18th and 19th centuries were all about mathematicians realizing that they desperately needed clear and logically rigorous foundations, else their intuitions would lead them astray. It’s the existence of the examples, not the details of the examples, that’s important and significant.

Learning the specific examples is totally unimportant. The fact that the examples exist is important. And all that’s needed there is a mouse click to the Wiki page.

It matters because although our intuition says the order doesn’t matter, there are actual examples in which it does matter. Showing that there is a need for logical rigor in our foundations.

Physicists find mathematical reasoning indispensable in their work. Take it up with them. Else drive us all back to 1500 when nobody knew or cared about any of it.

And I’m sure I’m resigned to reading it. But unless your thinking gets more clear it will just be more of the same.

“There is no royal road to geometry.” – Euclid.

We all have to struggle to understand the math. But in this case understanding the math is totally unimportant. All that’s needed to to accept that these examples exist, whether we drill down to the details or not. And these examples show the need for mathematical rigor.

You do NOT NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE EXAMPLES. You only need to acknowledge that the examples exist.

So bottom line, do you:

• Accept mathematical formalism as an abstract, meaningless game but perhaps an interesting one? Or

• Do you reject modern math?

Which is it? I wonder if you have even interrogated yourself on this issue, since you contantly whipsaw back and forth.

Please state clearly what is your objection to the mathematical formalism of infinity. And also please tell me if you have any similar objections to the rules of chess. Maybe you think the King should be able to move two squares instead of just one. Is that your point? What are you trying to say? You do understand that the entirety of set theory can be expressed in finitely many symbols, right? So what exactly is your objection? And do you want to drive physics back to pre-Newton or even pre-Galileo?

I will have to watch you use the word and learn that way, kinda like Iambiguous’ use of Dasein which evidently can’t be articulated in words.

Have you seen the movie: Iron and Silk?

I think you would like it, but fwd to 50:10 for a point I want to illustrate.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOIbalP7dj8[/youtube]

Pan Qingfu: You have to teach me English
Mark: Sure!
Pan Qingfu: I want to learn to say these sentences.
Mark: Have you studied English before?
Pan Qingfu: No.
Mark: Then let’s start with the ABCs.
Pan Qingfu: No! That’s too slow. I want to learn whole sentences then string them together like wushu routines.
Mark: Learning English is different from learning wushu!
Pan Qingfu: No! Everything is like wushu! Now we’ll start.

Sometimes it’s easier to take things apart to figure out how it was put together than to be told how things are put together.

That’s awesome! I’ve watched them so many times that I could probably communicate in sopranos clips lol

Yeah I like Paulie.

“He killed 19 Czechoslovakians! The guy was an interior decorator!”
“Really? His apartment looked like shit.”

That was a good one!

“Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…”
“Hold that thought.”

I think I was mis-pegged after referencing BN which was only innocently meant to illustrate the colorado mountains. It was merely bad fortune that the two coincided. I don’t think I see in terms of ethnicity, but it’s more about the philosophies people hold. Everyone is a voice in the wilderness with no other special significance than that.

Yes, I’m very happy at the prospect of burying hatchets and forming an amicable relationship with a knowledgeable person.

Just talk about what you want to talk about.

He who has an ear to hear, let him hear.

What determines what the eyes want to see?

Oh I think I see what you’re saying. Like music has notes, chords, melodies which constitute different levels of resonance. My theory is desire is essentially resonance, harmony, stability. The electron is a standing wave in a location where it wants to be (a place where it naturally resonates). Atoms desire certain numbers of electrons and form molecules that desire stability of their own. Proteins, cells, organisms, communities all desire their own harmony.

Will do. Thanks!

I heard it meant “excellence”. Mindful refinement to the point of mindless reflex.

Yes I think so and I think the limits of knowledge preclude any knowledge of an absolute. A thing viewing itself could never see all of itself and any piece of knowledge known could never be a whole description of what there is.

So a method that never claims 100% certainty is no longer the subject but becomes the object? I haven’t pondered that.

Borders don’t separate, but join. All borders are shared. I’d say there is no such thing as discrete.

Where do the ruptures reside? They’re dimensionless, right?

I’m having trouble understanding that one.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. My problem is finding time to rummage around the site, but it has been on my bucket list. I’ve been busier this winter than most.