What should we debate?

Use this forum to suggest topics, and to find others to debate with.

Re: What should we debate?

Postby LaughingMan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:22 am

Simms wrote:
Carleas wrote:Alright, I challenge you to a debate in which I defend the proposition that devil's advocate debates are reasonable and good, and you argue that they make no sense or you're somehow above them.

Sounds like a good debate to me. I vote for this one.

LaughingMan wrote:I don't mind debating Carleas if it is done by conventional method.

Carleas' challenge is a conventional debate and this is something you have a strong view on.

I don't go debating the opposite side of my views.

I will debate my views against others. That's how conventional debates work.
Coming Out Live Streaming Online From The Global Gulag, Asylum, Police State, And Oligarchical Plantation Near You.

LaughingMan
Cynical Asshole

Postby Simms » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:03 am

LaughingMan wrote:I don't go debating the opposite side of my views.

In his/her statement he/she is not asking you to debate opposite views.
He is challenging you with the following debate:
Carleas' Position: Defend the proposition that devil's advocate debates are reasonable and good.
LaughmingMan's Position: Defend the proposition that devil's advocate debates make no sense or you're somehow above them.

Definition: a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

So he/she is challenging you to debate a position you actually agree with (not the opposite).
That is he/she believes debating the opposite is good and you believe debating the opposite is bad.

I say, let the debate begin.
Simms

Postby LaughingMan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:28 am

Simms wrote:

Carleas' Position: Defend the proposition that devil's advocate debates are reasonable and good.
LaughmingMan's Position: Defend the proposition that devil's advocate debates make no sense or you're somehow above them.

Definition: a devil's advocate is someone who, given a certain argument, takes a position they do not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

So he/she is challenging you to debate a position you actually agree with (not the opposite).
That is he/she believes debating the opposite is good and you believe debating the opposite is bad.

I say let's actually have a debate worth debating.
Coming Out Live Streaming Online From The Global Gulag, Asylum, Police State, And Oligarchical Plantation Near You.

LaughingMan
Cynical Asshole

Postby Simms » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:43 am

LaughingMan wrote:
Simms wrote:

I say let's actually have a debate worth debating.

:animals-chickencatch:
Simms

Postby quantum » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm

So, you had one already here in this thread.
That's what debate is all about , telling people what you are and never want to change.

Discussion is different- It lets you change or develop up a way to know much more.

Hope positive reply.
well may be not, cause it is debate section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT an Discussion section.
quantum

Previous

Return to Challenges