Feeling a bit debatey.

Use this forum to suggest topics, and to find others to debate with.

Feeling a bit debatey.

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Have this urge to debate something with someone.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Re: Feeling a bit debatey.

Postby turtle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Tab wrote:Have this urge to debate something with someone.

i think you should debate with someone the importance of respect and politeness in a discussion on ilp....
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Fuck off.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby turtle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Tab wrote:Fuck off.

you could debate about ethics.....
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 pm

I'll Debate with you.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary

Postby jonquil » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:33 pm

turtle wrote:
Tab wrote:Fuck off.

you could debate about ethics.....

Lol. turtlebaby, you're not preaching to the choir here.
jonquil
Philosopher

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Stoic Guardian wrote:I'll Debate with you.

Okay, what shall we debate..? I can fake strong views concerning just about anything.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I've enjoyed arguing with people in politics, politics are a fertile ground for debate.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Okay, I'm fairly up on politics historically, if not current. Africa particularly colonization to present day. What kind of politics suits you..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Pezerocles » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Uuuu, uuuu, do Alexander V Hannibal!
Pezerocles
Led Zeppelin Satanist

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:32 pm

I know there were elephants involved. How about "Elephants are good in wars but not against elves." I can see that being a great discussion. :-"
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:03 pm

FilmSnob wrote:Uuuu, uuuu, do Alexander V Hannibal!

Isn't that more of a pissing match?

Stoic Guardian

Postby Pezerocles » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:52 pm

A pissing match is a pissing match.

Comparing two conquering dictators that effected entire cultural shifts throught entire continents sounds more like
Tab wrote:Okay, I'm fairly up on politics historically, if not current. Africa particularly colonization
to me.
Pezerocles
Led Zeppelin Satanist

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Well i'm mean how would that be debated?

Stoic Guardian

Postby Bodhimalik » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm

How 'bout this for debate?

Light from an object hits the retina creating an electro-chemical reaction which reacts on another cell and again on another cell on up the optic nerve until it gets into the brain and we "see." We do not see until then, so we do not see with the eye, but with the brain.

Differing air pressure hits the ear, causing activity in the semicircular canal, which causes an electro-chemical signal to be sent to the brain and we hear. We do not, therefore , hear with the ear, but with the brain.

This sort of activity with our other senses continues in the same way. We taste, feel, smell with our brain.

Conclusion? The whole physical universe is contained within our skulls.

Another conclusion : there is no way to tell if there is anything"out there" at all, because we can only use our senses to tell us if there is or not.

You might also think on the idea that in our dreams at night, time, space, people, rivers, are all created with our mind.

Our eyes detect light. Our brain detects form and color. We see a yellow pencil.

Our ear detects changes in air pressure. Our brain detects sound. We hear music.

Our nerve endings detect pressure. Our brain detects warmth and texture. We feel the touch of a loved one
Bodhimalik

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 pm

No offence but that's the "brain in a jar" debate, and it's been done out the arse and back in again.

Stoic. How about something around dictatorship vs. democracy. I know dictatorship will most likely lose, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 pm

I personally Like (Ideal) Dictatorships over Democracy.

How about you take the side of Democracy?

Stoic Guardian

Postby Tab » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah I could do that I suppose. Though I like dictatorships too. Damn.

Okay, Dictatorships vs. democracy. You're on the tough end of the deal though I think.

What do you think..? 3 posts each..? You wanna go first, second or ask someone to flip a coin..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:24 am

Are you up for a rematch after this one is done, Tab?
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Tab » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 am

Yeah sure, what's on your mind..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Well i've never done an official Debate on here before so whatever is the norm is fine with me.

Stoic Guardian

Postby Tab » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:19 pm

Pav, can you coin flip for who goes first..?
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Tab wrote:Yeah I could do that I suppose. Though I like dictatorships too. Damn.

Wonder why that is, hmm...

Stoic Guardian

Postby Tab » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm

lol.
Click Logo For Blog
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby Stoic Guardian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Though it was meant to be humorous, it was also a legitmate question.

Stoic Guardian

Next

Return to Challenges