The economic model of Soviet Russia

Hex and I have decided to debate about the success of Soviet Russia’s economic model. I’ll be arguing that I’ll be arguing that the Soviet economic model worked quite well in Russia, in fact, it worked better than a market economy would have. Hex will be arguing that the Soviet economic model did not work well in Russia, in fact, it worked worse than a market economy would have.

Unless he wants to make any changes to the subject?

No, it fits me perfectly.

Alrighty, who wants to judge? Also, how are we going to set this one up? I’ve got a fairly robust schedule, so would you mind allowing three days between posts to ensure the highest quality debate?

I don’t mind a long time perspective on the debate, quality can’t be hurried.

I must suggest we have least 2 judges, I don’t find that many here has the sufficient mental aptitude to judge, so we must have some candidates to choose from.

I usually figure that an odd number works best in this sort of situation. So, 3 judges? Let’s wait for volunteers, otherwise we could both suggest a few people? And thanks for making allowances for my schedule.

I would be interested in serving as a supplementary judge. I really don’t know a lot about Russia, or political science on the whole. But then the judge’s role isn’t necessarily to know everything, just to read what the advocates give him.

Gaiaguerilla wants it, but, are you guys willing to roll with three Judges?

If so, I am all over this one, I’m actually quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Pav’s wisdom and my Tabula Rasa . . . now all you need is someone who knows a lot about the opposite of Russia :smiley:

I’m one of the 2 resident Austrian theorists…so that sounds like me
If you’ll take me, this is my humble offer

I was sort of kidding. But hey.

but HEY! now you can take it srsly! :sunglasses:

I don’t know how I feel about having an Austrian as a judge because of the anti-empirical slant of Austrian economics. Furthermore, I don’t think HH is going to be taking such a radical approach to the argument. However, if you are willing to judge based on the facts presented and not on your own ideology, I suppose I could trust your objectivity.

If that is the case, I suppose we’ve got our three judges so we can get this show on the road.

Everyone knows you can’t trust an Austrian, Xunzian.

So, when do we want to start?