Three Times Great

i accept the terms of the debate. i am pretty much ambivolent regarding judges, but faust, imp, carleas or any of the regulars would be fine, preferably some with LD debate experience, or at least a passing knowledge of argumentation. im sure judges are capable of being impartial, but its not like were going for money here or anything.

at this point, we just need a random selection from the judges to see who starts first. feel free to contact the mods you think would work for judges, and as soon as they are chosen and agree, they can let us know here which of us goes first, and which second.

i look forward to the debate :smiley:

As do I, Three Times Great. Since you have no preference regarding the Judges other than they be Mods or long-time posters, I suggest we leave this thread open for a couple of days to see if we can get any volunteers, are you agreeable to that?

sounds good to me.

I’d volunteer, but I don’t know if I could be impartial. The issue is very close to my heart.

yes, youre certainly a far cry from one of the more rational or objective members of ILP. and the admission of marijuana use doesnt surprise me either, of course.

im sure these two facts are somehow intimately related. [-(

Hey now, this debate isn’t about me…it’s just about weed.

And come on! Me? Not rational or objective???

:smiley:

i know ive got the “underdog” side of the debate, at least from an ILP point of view. luckily, when i debated in school i actually liked doing the other sides of issues that i didnt agree with. i think its actually easier, as strange as that seems.
:banana-dance:

since no one else has, and in the interest of getting things started, i’ll volunteer - if 3X doesn’t object - which i suppose he might have reason to do - in any case, i’m confident i can be objective.

i dont object to anyone being a judge. i dont really care who judges, because im not concerned with who “wins” or “loses”. youre welcome to judge if pav has no problem with it.

I’m cool with UPF.

so, upf is one, faust maybe is two, if youve heard whether or not hes up to it…? that only leaves one more, and we can begin :sunglasses:

honestly i would be fine with just a single judge, or none at all… maybe let the community of interested parties come to their own decisions. i realise its good form to have judges, however, but at the same time i have confidence in both of our ability to stick to the topic, confront each other’s points and follow the stated rules in general. judging seems mostly a formality, which i would be willing to set aside or just let one or two individuals judge, if need be. mostly, id just like to get on to the debate itself, it should be an interesting one :smiley:

That could actually be quite interesting…

If you have no objections, I would be agreeable to UPF being the solitary Judge.

Oh, the power! Do i get a gavel?

Pav, you’ll have to open the thread in the Chamber of Debate, since i’m not a mod. Three Times goes first, rules as described in the OP. After Pav’s closing, i’ll make it a matter of posterity and render a judgment. Good luck to both.

No problem, UPF. I think I also have to figure out how to give you access also.

As the only Judge, you are also the Moderator, by the way. So, you have to make an opening post which wishes both sides luck and regurgitates the rules.

this should be interesting.

If I can prevent it from being a total massacre.

Fortunately, I drew last post, which is my favorite position in which to be.

thats cool, i have no problem going first, i actually much prefer it :smiley:

tha’s what she said!