Rap vs. Rock

Which is better

• Rap
  • Classic Rock
  • Rap is better and Carleas demonstrated this
  • Rap is better but Carleas failed to demonstrate this
  • Classic rock is better and Pav demonstrated this
  • Classic rock is better but Pav did not demonstrate this
  • None of the above, because I’m deaf you insensitive bastards.
0 voters

So, what did ya’ll think?

Sorry, I want to make sure I’m doing this right. As an official judge, should I use the radio buttons above to cast a vote, or would it be better to do so in text below so that I will be able to vote for each round of the contest (and so my vote will be logged along with my name). I would assume the latter.

To what degree should we explain our opinions? I am certainly happy to do so, but if it would be more appropriate to simply name my choice, dat’s cool too…

You will post your decision in the thread where the actual Debate takes place. After doing so, you will also be able to vote with one of the buttons should you so choose.

How do we post our decision in the actual thread, there doesn’t seem to be a “post reply” button…? All I can say for the moment is I think the Form-forcing-content device of Carleas’s use of FREESTYLE is right up my alley, as is Pav’s equation of cool and roll. The coal is hot and the embers are radiant… I’m mulling… I will continue to mull. I will drink and embibe in the sacred poetry testing sacriment. Then I will rashly decide, crushing my own heart with the thought I am influencing the feelings of others. Oh the pain of it (to quote Dr. Zacharia Smith)…

Oh, wait, what’s that pink writing above, “Debate participants, please wait until your debate is over before engaging in discussion about your debate”… does that apply to judges? Am I discussing anything inappropriate here? Don’t wanna break any laws now!! …gavel, gavel.

I don’t think it is against any hard-and-fast rules for judges to discuss the debate while it is going on, though I think the practice ought be frowned upon since that biases how the participants will frame their replies.

Since this one has multiple rounds, don’t we need to discuss/vote on each one separately? I am also confused as to how to reply in the debate thread, and still confused as to how/when I should do so.

Am I making this more complicated than it should be? I feel lost, but really I just want to do a good and fair job of things here. If it’s worth doing it’s worth doing right… In any event, I have my opinions and vote on the first round all ready to go. It was a close and difficult call, but I did some thinking on it while at work (they can own my body, but not my mind, dammit!!)

While it is true that you will post your decision in the actual Debate thread, you do not make a decision for each round, you make a final decision at the end.

Check out a few of the Debates that have already happened and that will give you a good idea how it rolls.

…and rocks

Rock rocks.

by jolly I think I’ve got it now. rhyme on, friends.

Booyeah. Now I’m all tuned up for the Rap Battle. Kickin.

Pav, my friend’s band is a rap/classic rock/punk fusion sound, they’re pretty good. They’ve got punk drums and tempos, classic rock guitar, and rap vocals. They’re just starting out, I think they just play house parties and such, but they’ve got potential.

Awesome! Let me know if they put anything on-line and I’ll have a listen.

Nice finish, Pav. I think this debate was a success!

Thanks, Carleas, and an awesome job to you throughout!

I believe that this Debate was a success, it was certainly fun for the both of us!!!

I kind of added those last two paragraphs at the end as an afterthought. I was about to submit the post and then I thought, “Damn, my rap could eb misconstrued as ad hom all over the place.” I knew that you would know better, but would the judges?

Anyway, best of luck to you in the voting! I think it’ll be a split, you?

I thought split before, but with Wonderer’s ‘tie’ verdict, there might be an outright winner.

Oughtist’s judging method sounds intriguing. . .

Sorry i made it a tie, but judging the end was simply impossible, and i know i probably left out tons of things. weighing poetry against poetry is a hard thing to do.

I really liked the third round. Carleas impressed me but then Pavlovian impressed me more with the potency i like and a respectable volume.

I didn’t plan on making it a tie, but at the end it seemed right.

In any case great job to both poets.

Wonderer,

Thank you very much!

Carleas,

That does make it interesting! Although, if the next judge that posts votes for me and the following Judge decides it is to close to call…

Wonderer, I can relate. After writing each round, I thought to myself “Boy, that’s great! There’s no way he’ll ever top this!” And each round I ate a little bit of humble pie after Pav’s response.

Pav, I thought Xunzian was on to something when he referred to the ‘inevitable tie’. It may yet come down to the voice of the many.

To the first paragraph:

LMAO

I know exactly how you feel. I remember reading your first post (after I had posted my first post as we had a blind rule regarding the first posts) and thinking, “Damn, let’s see him follow that!”

And then your haikus kicked ass all over the place, the haikus were really hard and I found yours very impressive, mine were not so good.

I knew I had to do something big with my final post, I was all but D.O.A. going into it after your awesome freestyle rap!

To the second paragraph:

Yeah, speaking of which, I did not vote on that, but I viewed the results so far, are you the one who voted for me? I plan to reciprocate (by voting for you) if it comes down to the popular vote, if not, then I am going to vote, “Classic Rock.”

Haha, you give me too much credit. I haven’t voted yet, so you should mark your ballot for classic rock, unless you found my arguments in favor of rap compelling.

In a way, I find that rap is capable of becoming the better of the two after your arguments, but I do not believe that it is currently the better of the two.

Give it another ten or twenty years and the number of stations (if terrestrial radio still exists) playing classic rock might be rivaled by those playing classic rap.