A point of constitutional philosophy: implicit protections.

I’ll give you an example.
A long time before Marijuana was legalized in Canada, police stopped enforcing marijuana laws.
It was affectively legal in many neighborhoods because both citizens and police simply didn’t care, and why should they?
A lot of places in certain neighborhoods openly sold it to people without a prescription for nonmedicinal use and no one cared.
Marijuana is relatively harmless and it’s as Canadian as apple pie is American, particularly where I’m from in BC.

Man shouldn’t serve laws, anymore than he should serve machines, or markets, they should serve him.
If a person follows a good law they know to be good, they’re good, but if a person follows a bad law they know to be bad and they know they can get around it, they’re a stickler.
Now that’s fine, that’s who they are, we’re all different, but I don’t hang around sticklers.

Correct me if I am wrong but most on-topic posts itt have been anti- fed.

How was the US formed? By ignoring the constitution, which was British at the time (or whatever their equivalent was if the Brits didn’t have one).
I’m not saying the American constitution is irrelevant, but it’s not absolute, nothing is, unless you want it to be, for you.

America is nearly a religion unto itself.
Americanism, it has prophets, the founding fathers, sacred documents, the constitution, bill of rights and so on, with references to a spooky deity and mystical axioms (I realize Canada has similar stuff, but we don’t take it half as seriously).
It’s underpinned by economics and ethics, the omnibenevolence of the free market (as if there was only one way to do free markets) and the irreducibility of the individual.
It has heroes, villains, ceremonies, holidays, monuments and temples to Greco-Roman deities.
It has two priesthoods with two radically different interpretations of the constitution and bill of rights in theory, but virtually identical policies in practice.
It has a messianic complex, it’s our sacred duty to bomb the world into democracy.

Servility? Whaaat?! Because 99.99% of people don’t want teenagers abusing, selling, buying, hard substances and illegal drugs? Nonsense.

It’s not my fault that Parod cannot lead a philosophy thread. I bet most here would agree that Federal laws, and the “progression” of Congress, has gone too far, and passed far too many restrictions and laws, especially concerning permits and health regulations. But that’s neither here-nor-there, when you can’t lead a discussion. The Constitution, and Congress, have a long history of expanding State-ism for centuries now. If you don’t understand the nuances, then don’t pretend to, and don’t try to hide it with excessive Latin verbosity that has nothing to do with the point-at-hand.

That’s internal, and temporary. The US is still an Imperium, the last remaining Superpower, and it is beginning to look like that it’s mythically constructed ideals, are supported universally, and it’s standard bearing serves the subliminal and transcendental ideal of the whole world.
That is still the case, despite the current administrations bungling.

But that too, is interpreted with the naivete that is often charged against It, in the more experienced and far longer vested Capitals the world over.
especially in Europe.

Ask him.

I will add:

Stylistically, promethean is high on ILP charts. Even I get taken in by his charm, which is why I constantly hurtle abuse at him, to remind him that there is not much more there than charm.

Style is important though. Take Parodites. If you got rid of your pretentious (for what else can judgement without study be but pretense?) disregard for his style and read his stuff, you will notice an amount and quality of content rivaled only by historic nerds of a similar kind like Liebniz and such, certainly suprasing modern excuses for what passes for a professor. But not only is his style dry, itself not a problem, he then takes offence at insults, even from girls. How does that happen? Destructing himself in the process.

This is the story of how, before the game of 54-D chess that is Phiolosophy, we remain at the checkers board. The cool ones can’t be bothered to overcome the smallest intellectual challenge, the smart ones can’t be bothered to make a serious commitment to being cool.

I jump in and say “be cool, Parodites!” And he says some shit like “but she bit me!” and suddenly I’m back in pre-school. Destroying, in the process, a decade of built up poetic cache (if you think he is incapable of pleasant style, you enjoy being ragdolled). He wasn’t what he pretended to be all that time, as evidenced by loosing his cool so pathetically.

But really, promethean is a masterpeice of political self-mockery. In the end, like the rest of Americans who don’t bother to sit down and question THEMSELVES, all he has is a vague collection of feelings which he does his best to fit to events and facts as they come up.

Very resourceful, to drink protein drinks to get back into a decent physical condition… I knew of a guy who had to blend his meals and drink them through a straw, because of fibro… again, very resourceful indeed. I myself am going to design my own energy/vitamin drink, based in an Organic sugar and salt solution… dioralyte for adults, if you will. :smiley:

Quite… the more and more moments we start to have that are enjoyable, far eclipse and outweigh those that have not been and are not, so tipping the balance in one’s favour, in becoming re-levant… not only to the world, but to existence itself.

With regard to the thread topic… this is what happens when someone does such a cocktail of drink and drugs, so much so that he doesn’t even know what pills he is popping, and what should have been a normal night… like any other night they’ve jammed together before, gets out of hand.

Bob Marley once said that the herb is important, but it is much more important to those that hate it.

See drug users realize fairly quickly that drugs aren’t some exterior thing, but a simple continuation of the chemical activity that already is the brain. Drugs don’t introduce so much as open. That here are other ways to open really don’t speak either for or against them. The argument isn’t about drugs. It is about the brain.

It is like saying you want to derive the percentage value of 3 out of 12. I say, you can use the ‘rule of three:’

12-------100
3-------- x

You multiply 3 times 100 and devide the product by 12.

But then you say “why would you destroy your brain with the rule of three, when you can simply divide 3 by 12 and add two 0s?” And I go “ok… can we just focus on the derivation of the percentage value of 3 out of 12?”

Style is important, if only to eliminate the waste of time that is refuting postulations on the basis of it.

You don’t need style, just don’t be so longwinded and wordy, if you want anyone to get anything out of what you write.
You enjoy hearing yourself speak, the rest of us don’t, just get to the nitty-gritty.

That was… A comment on style.

Unfortunately, in order to cover even a hundredth of the territory he is covering, well… It is actually a ridiculously advanced feat in summarization and conciseness what our friend is doing here.

You want candy, or you want PHILOSOPHY?

Consider that not a single point has been made so far against any of what Parodites has wrote. 100% of the gripes have been “it’s too long! I don’t like Greek!”

Fine fine. This is perfectly legitimate. Just don’t then say that this very fact proves him wrong, as you don’t even know what it is he said that is allegedly then proven wrong!

If there is one stylistic point that does speak against Parodites’s content, it is his pricklyness.

Been following the thread and, I don’t see a proper refutation of anything Urwrong has said, but have heard a lot of prickly defensiveness.

A guy comes and actually does read and actually does bring arguments against, and you attack the person?

You are not covering yourself in glory, my friend.

“just get to the nitty-gritty”

done

By style I meant aesthetics, purple prose, you don’t need that here, it just gets in the way.
You don’t need to be charming or cool either.
Straight, and to the point.

“Straight, and to the point.”

Can I ask you something?

How do you know it wasn’t?

And don’t use English when Anglish will do just fine.

Now that’s what I’m talking about. :laughing: