The Joys of a DIYer

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: The Joys of a DIYer

Postby Mowk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:26 pm

I never did understand dressing up a pet in people wear. And the video was a hoot.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby promethean75 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:11 pm

the practical reason is to keep a short haired breed of dog like that warm during the winter months. that's understandable and appropriate. but this context is a little different and becomes gloriously comical once it's understood. this isn't just a dog in a sweater. it's a symbol representing everything pretentious about bourgeois culture. the uselessness of the breed itself... compared to working dog breeds... as an expression of the luxury of royalty and the elite class that doesn't have to labor. the emperors surrounded by a pack of shih-tzus, for instance, captures this image perfectly. next comes the gross anthropomorphization of the animal; the bourgeois expresses its latent desire to be 'god' in humanizing the creature... making it a little person-pet it can order around and laugh at in adoration whenever company is around. 'oh isn't that adorable! look at his little sweater!'

and the impotence of the toy dog's harmless barking. the little useless dog that won't shut up... that think's its in charge. the little boss, much like the bourgeois owner, who's bark is always worse than his bite.

all these metaphors and analogies come together to form a perfect rendition of the joke of the bourgeois spirit. you ought to see the way the sumo wrestler queen interacts with this insect of a dog. it's almost nauseating. i get my hopes up that the german shepherd will eat the dog and then attack her, but it never happens.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Mowk » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 pm

You can provide an animal warm with out dressing it up in a people suit.

I ain't even going to comment on anything else you said.
Mowk
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics