Call Me Locutus

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Mowk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 am

Locutus wrote: Mowk wrote:
I'm just not cut out to be a god. You'd likely be deeply disappointed in assimilating me.

If that is your only objection, you'll be pleased to know you satisfy our requirements.


It wasn't.

I wouldn't have guessed Locutus is a cherry picker. I'm concerned for your well being. I don't guess what you think you know would be of satisfaction. All your answers; and just more questions. You make some pretty big claims. Literal truth over poetry. I laid a fairly nice riff in your lap and you're like "posh" figurative, Great songs come from that sort of poetry. You're in command of the literal truth. Lay some of that down. Wet my whistle. Big promises but you won't even sit down over Pizza for a chat. There's a good chance you don't even like beer, but how would you know? I don't want the experience of drinking a nice craft draft before I've had the experienced of having a fine craft draft. There's a reason you sip them one at a time. You wouldn't know I won't like that beer, it's got too much hops, cause you haven't yet got me in your collective to know I don't like a real hop beer. Your collective is likely filled with experience I'd rather not partake in. The whole our way or no way just doesn't do it for me.

You seem to draw the bar fairly low, how many axe murderers do you have in there with you? I'd rather not experience that if it's all right with you. Trying to develop me some ethics. Like Woody Allen stated, I won't join a club that would have me as a member. You've got no discernment. There's likely a lot of demons you carry as baggage. Wouldn't do that myself, no reason to have to experience it through you.
Last edited by Mowk on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mowk
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 am

I just thought I'd make a metacomment or two.
One, it was a fun choice on Carleas' part to present the Borg
Two, he has a tough job ahead of him since he is supposed to be representing a vast hive mind. (of course the Borg will just say they are using his account here and all that)
Three, I am not sure this is the right forum, though I suppose that might change. I think it is more Psychology and Mind, or even General Philosophy. I suppose it is in some sense a society. However the issues will not be slanted that way. I am sure the Borg will disagree with that, given it's corporate personhood hallucinations.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Mowk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:11 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:I just thought I'd make a metacomment or two.
One, it was a fun choice on Carleas' part to present the Borg
Two, he has a tough job ahead of him since he is supposed to be representing a vast hive mind. (of course the Borg will just say they are using his account here and all that)
Three, I am not sure this is the right forum, though I suppose that might change. I think it is more Psychology and Mind, or even General Philosophy. I suppose it is in some sense a society. However the issues will not be slanted that way. I am sure the Borg will disagree with that, given it's corporate personhood hallucinations.


Or the sandbox. Or creative writing.

See Locutus if you'd have assimilated Carleas first you'd have a clue what forum to post in.
Last edited by Mowk on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mowk
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:15 am

Mowk wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:I just thought I'd make a metacomment or two.
One, it was a fun choice on Carleas' part to present the Borg
Two, he has a tough job ahead of him since he is supposed to be representing a vast hive mind. (of course the Borg will just say they are using his account here and all that)
Three, I am not sure this is the right forum, though I suppose that might change. I think it is more Psychology and Mind, or even General Philosophy. I suppose it is in some sense a society. However the issues will not be slanted that way. I am sure the Borg will disagree with that, given it's corporate personhood hallucinations.


Or the sandbox. Or creative writing. Fiction.
It could go in them, but I think it raises some more serious issues. Are there selves - and I enjoyed your counter on that issue - what is identity, is our ego merely a poor defense mechanism, keeping us from enlightenment - but here not through Buddhism, or sort of like being interrogated by the Buddha. I think there are epistemological issues: can the Borg actually know if individuals lose something when the enter it? Sure, it has memories, but those need not include the loss. Can we know anything about its claims that merging with it is good and no loss but pure gain?
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Mowk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:24 am

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Mowk wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:I just thought I'd make a metacomment or two.
One, it was a fun choice on Carleas' part to present the Borg
Two, he has a tough job ahead of him since he is supposed to be representing a vast hive mind. (of course the Borg will just say they are using his account here and all that)
Three, I am not sure this is the right forum, though I suppose that might change. I think it is more Psychology and Mind, or even General Philosophy. I suppose it is in some sense a society. However the issues will not be slanted that way. I am sure the Borg will disagree with that, given it's corporate personhood hallucinations.


Or the sandbox. Or creative writing. Fiction.
It could go in them, but I think it raises some more serious issues. Are there selves - and I enjoyed your counter on that issue - what is identity, is our ego merely a poor defense mechanism, keeping us from enlightenment - but here not through Buddhism, or sort of like being interrogated by the Buddha. I think there are epistemological issues: can the Borg actually know if individuals lose something when the enter it? Sure, it has memories, but those need not include the loss. Can we know anything about its claims that merging with it is good and no loss but pure gain?


Fiction can dig pretty deep into the guts of things.
Mowk
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Mowk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:32 am

Another question Locutus, Can we hear from someone, anyone else in there? You speak for the collective, that sort of sounds like YOU are the collective. One big individual but if it quacks like a duck. Even my little assembly gets in each others way. Upset stomach, diarrhea.

I can just imagine at the level YOU claim. That can't be fun.
Mowk
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Xunzian » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:45 am

Well, the new forums rules really messed that one up. Apologies.

It's phil 101. Volonté générale is distinct from the vulgar popular will because it is backed by Reason. But we all know that Reason isn't reasonable (Enlightenment Mentality run amok, etc.). So we need to supercede the General Will in the same way the General Will supercedes the Popular Will.

Standing on the shoulders of giants, right? We can do better.
User avatar
Xunzian
Drunken Master
 
Posts: 10462
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:46 am

Mowk wrote:Fiction can dig pretty deep into the guts of things.
Touche. Though, me I like a little narrative. This seems like it will be arguments and occasional lectures. My favorite novelists were premodernist, not post, though I enjoy post and modernist, liking modernists the least.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Meno_ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:18 am

Xunzian wrote:Well, the new forums rules really messed that one up. Apologies.

It's phil 101. Volonté générale is distinct from the vulgar popular will because it is backed by Reason. But we all know that Reason isn't reasonable (Enlightenment Mentality run amok, etc.). So we need to supercede the General Will in the same way the General Will supercedes the Popular Will.

Standing on the shoulders of giants, right? We can do better.



But such supercession has had offshoot of social movement with egalite, then a new revision overcoming , but egalite appeared to even out the score until the demise of the iron curtain. Now, the weight scored a hit with renewed transcendence toward a pseudo dialectic of pure logic, and the hyperprocessing of authority has been a simulation of that silent process of the common against the general.

The giants are keying into the absolutely reduced mythologic mystical connections that play with determinism. A very dangerous game between the probable and the certain.

But these are very uncertain times, calling on desperate measures.

Xunzian Your refrain should be applauded.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Call Me Locutus

Postby Meno_ » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:44 am

But the Borg, has really inexorbitant more content, hence it need no variable distinction between those. Joining on principal and/or those who need to assimilate.
The Borg has overcome the distinction by approaching the maximum variable references to that content. It has no need for new members with different partial differences, nor fear of individual to general associations.
In the Borg, the minutest differential can connect to the most general.

The problem though, is, that there may at a certain point be no re - cognition of having a choice between joining or not, therefore that memory is not present hierarchially.
The question applies to general or common will as well.
The material dialectic manifests substantial ideas, as well as their phenomenal utilization.

Therefore the question is fallacious, and counter indicative. It is based on a jest.

In fact, there may not be an phenomenal exit , or avoidance from membership, and this can be seen analogously the Big Brother, as is currently at issue, whether AI may be controlled as to a move toward beneficience, rather then malice.
Meno_
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users