Abortion

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Abortion

Postby Artimas » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:06 am

What are your thoughts on this touchy subject in societies politics?

Do you think abortion should or shouldn't be allowed?

Is abortion in most cases a quick escape from responsibility?

People should be able to do what they want with their own bodies and consciousness but do you think some things should just not be condoned in order to not promote ignorance or an evading of responsibilities collectively?
Last edited by Artimas on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Abortion

Postby FreeSpirit1983 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 am

Abortion is killing. I think that's just a biological fact.

What annoys me is when people disagree with this, even if they think it should be legal :)

I find all the arguments for abortion to be really terrible, because it's still killing, regardless.
"I must be a Saint. The greatest possible."

-St. Maximilian Kolbe
User avatar
FreeSpirit1983
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Abortion

Postby Artimas » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:16 pm

FreeSpirit1983 wrote:Abortion is killing. I think that's just a biological fact.

What annoys me is when people disagree with this, even if they think it should be legal :)

I find all the arguments for abortion to be really terrible, because it's still killing, regardless.


I think so too, but the moral issue is worse for a promotion of not being responsible more so than killing. The argument of it being murder or killing can be fought against easier than bringing up the obvious avoidance of the responsibilities and consequences. At least with how I view it. Every person knows if they have sex that pregnancy is possible, if one knows then they consent and are no longer in grounds to just "change their mind" when the pleasure is gone and there is no more convenience. Mankind tricks itself or deems pleasure greater than consequence or risk and then avoids responsibility. Which we do not need a lack of.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Abortion

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 pm

If abortion is killing, then let the women have control over their bodies and have the abortion, but then imprison them for a murder sentence.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Abortion

Postby FreeSpirit1983 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:41 am

WendyDarling wrote:If abortion is killing, then let the women have control over their bodies and have the abortion, but then imprison them for a murder sentence.


Do you think that's plausible?
"I must be a Saint. The greatest possible."

-St. Maximilian Kolbe
User avatar
FreeSpirit1983
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:23 am
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Abortion

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:44 am

It would give them another choice beyond not using birth control effectively, but the choice would not be a shirking of responsibility in exchange for murder plus they would still be able to make the decision regarding their body but they would be held responsible for killing another living being. The child still dies, but responsibility would no longer be ignored.

Plus, what's not plausible today when there are 90+ genders and men and women are equal, men are women and women are men, and children are persecuted as adults, along with all the other past implausibilities that are plausible today.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Abortion

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:13 am

I used to be anti abortion then I was pro abortion now I am neither because I cannot make up my mind anymore
So I am therefore entirely detached from it as a moral issue because of my inability to make an absolute choice

I am not a woman so will never have to make a decision to have an abortion and should not judge women that do
Equally so I see no moral reason to have an abortion where there are no medical or psychological reasons for one

These two positions are mutually incompatible and so make it impossible for me to have an opinion on abortion

So my position now is that when ever a woman does have one I have absolutely no say on it at all - precisely zero
Because the last thing women want is another man mansplaining to them what they should do with their uteruses
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Gloominary » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:09 pm

I used to believe life begins at birth, but upon further reflection, while I tend to believe life begins at brain activity now, rather than at birth, heartbeat or conception, I think I still support a woman's right to terminate during any stage of her pregnancy, because I see this matter as sort of a grey area.
That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about late term abortions, perhaps there should be some restrictions on those, so maybe life affectively begins just before late term, for me.
My beliefs are no longer firm in this matter.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Abortion

Postby Silhouette » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 am

When you try to force a complex multi-faceted argument into a single simple answer for the sake of clear practical application in law...

Make up your mind one way or the other and find your team, or find your team and make up your mind based on that - apparently that's the political extent of common anti-philosophical dis-intellectual ability.

When someone tries to give a simple one-sided answer to this question, ignore them immediately.
User avatar
Silhouette
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 1:27 am
Location: Existence

Re: Abortion

Postby Mad Man P » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:05 am

FreeSpirit1983 wrote:Abortion is killing. I think that's just a biological fact.


Scratching your ass too hard is killing, biologically it's a mass extinction of life... life in possession of human DNA, no less.

surreptitious75 wrote:Because the last thing women want is another man mansplaining to them what they should do with their uteruses


Who cares what the misandrists want?

Silhouette wrote:When someone tries to give a simple one-sided answer to this question, ignore them immediately.


Sound advice.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
Mad Man P
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:32 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Abortion

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:07 am

WendyDarling wrote:It would give them another choice beyond not using birth control effectively, but the choice would not be a shirking of responsibility in exchange for murder plus they would still be able to make the decision regarding their body but they would be held responsible for killing another living being. The child still dies, but responsibility would no longer be ignored.
would your concerns about the child lead you to pacifist or partially pacifist positions on war, since war will always include deaths of pregnant women and the children they carry? Let alone Hiroshima or Dresden. IOW when do we get to break the rule. And yes, I understand that in war what might be called murder is often seen as moral, even a duty. However the babies in the womb are utterly innocent.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:It would give them another choice beyond not using birth control effectively, but the choice would not be a shirking of responsibility in exchange for murder plus they would still be able to make the decision regarding their body but they would be held responsible for killing another living being. The child still dies, but responsibility would no longer be ignored.
would your concerns about the child lead you to pacifist or partially pacifist positions on war, since war will always include deaths of pregnant women and the children they carry? Let alone Hiroshima or Dresden. IOW when do we get to break the rule. And yes, I understand that in war what might be called murder is often seen as moral, even a duty. However the babies in the womb are utterly innocent.

98% of people in a war are utterly innocent. The 2% decides for the country that war is happening. I'm for allowing pregnant mothers to find neutral territory in which to birth their babies.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Abortion

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:50 am

WendyDarling wrote:98% of people in a war are utterly innocent. The 2% decides for the country that war is happening. I'm for allowing pregnant mothers to find neutral territory in which to birth their babies.
But since that's not something that happens as a rule, you accept that babies will die and wars are ok. Or? Which wars and interventions and policies (embargos, for example) the US engaged it did you think they should not have, given that innocents including those in wombs would be killed.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:33 am

I think abortion should be legal until the kid turns 18.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25932
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Abortion

Postby barbarianhorde » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:14 pm

Abortion of a rape-baby seems maybe okay. Like it would be okay to murder the rapist. It needs to be done the next day though, not a week can go by otherwise there is apparently enough need for a baby to keep it.
All other forms, I know it destroys the woman's soul. Seen that several times. They don't recover, go on meds, become prostitutes.

Okay my phone corrected that to prostiTunes.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
User avatar
barbarianhorde
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: rain and revolution

Re: Abortion

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:21 am

barbarianhorde wrote:Abortion of a rape-baby seems maybe okay. Like it would be okay to murder the rapist. It needs to be done the next day though, not a week can go by otherwise there is apparently enough need for a baby to keep it.
All other forms, I know it destroys the woman's soul. Seen that several times. They don't recover, go on meds, become prostitutes.

Okay my phone corrected that to prostiTunes.
I know a quite a number of women who did not, after, go on meds or become prostititutes. Since the number of people on meds these days is extremely high, I'd need to see some pretty large sample data to back up the idea that more women who have abortions do this. The becoming prostitute thing is just silly.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Artimas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I think abortion should be legal until the kid turns 18.


That's a pretty smart idea. Legalize it for younger not mature women, victims of rape and non consensual sex, above 18-21 not legal? I feel the whole abortion ideal is about maturity and responsibility, if one consents knowingly, then they must face the consequences. I believe women after 21 are typically mature right? Perhaps 24?

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Abortion

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:07 am

Artimas wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:I think abortion should be legal until the kid turns 18.


That's a pretty smart idea. Legalize it for younger not mature women, victims of rape and non consensual sex, above 18-21 not legal? I feel the whole abortion ideal is about maturity and responsibility, if one consents knowingly, then they must face the consequences. I believe women after 21 are typically mature right? Perhaps 24?


That's not what I mean. I mean that until a person turns 18, the parents should be able to abort them.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25932
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Abortion

Postby promethean75 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:45 am

this is actually a brilliant idea.

instead of parents being the legal guardians of children below the age of 18, they become the legal guardians after the child turns 18. this way, the parents get 18 years to observe the child and decide whether or not they want to be the parents, and have the option of terminating that obligation if the kid turns out to be bourgeois or a slacker.
promethean75
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Re: Abortion

Postby Artimas » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:
Artimas wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:I think abortion should be legal until the kid turns 18.


That's a pretty smart idea. Legalize it for younger not mature women, victims of rape and non consensual sex, above 18-21 not legal? I feel the whole abortion ideal is about maturity and responsibility, if one consents knowingly, then they must face the consequences. I believe women after 21 are typically mature right? Perhaps 24?


That's not what I mean. I mean that until a person turns 18, the parents should be able to abort them.


That's Savage as fuck but it could work.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Abortion

Postby barbarianhorde » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:49 pm

Why, would you rather have been aborted?

Of courser mr R is joking to draw attention away from the horrendous bloody mess that abortion is, not to mention the thriving organ-trade derived from it.
I know a bunch of women who have had abortions and none of them ever get over it. When conversation turns to it they sink deep into their soul into an eternal pain that is just there and always will be. They literally killed their own blood.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
User avatar
barbarianhorde
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: rain and revolution

Re: Abortion

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:55 pm

barbarianhorde


I know a bunch of women who have had abortions and none of them ever get over it. When conversation turns to it they sink deep into their soul into an eternal pain that is just there and always will be. They literally killed their own blood.


Thank you, barbarianhorde, This is why I composed that Letter to an Unborn Child. To give these women some moments to really decide if that is what they truly wanted to do. I have seen many of those faces going in and coming out that you described above.

Of course, there are those women who just feel that they have unloaded excess baggage...
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15496
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Abortion

Postby iambiguous » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:barbarianhorde


I know a bunch of women who have had abortions and none of them ever get over it. When conversation turns to it they sink deep into their soul into an eternal pain that is just there and always will be. They literally killed their own blood.


Thank you, barbarianhorde, This is why I composed that Letter to an Unborn Child. To give these women some moments to really decide if that is what they truly wanted to do. I have seen many of those faces going in and coming out that you described above.

Of course, there are those women who just feel that they have unloaded excess baggage...


Sure, there will be women who feel this way. Just as there will be women who do not.

But what ultimately counts here is the extent to which the law of the land is willing to punish those women who do not regret having an abortion.

And, then, here, the extent to which philosophers are able to weigh in on this and provide us with an argument that is either more or less able to resolve it.

Some see abortion as a moral issue aimed at bringing the unborn into the world -- a world populated with all the rest of us who were not aborted. Others see it as a political issue aimed at providing women with true equality with men in a world where only women can become pregnant.

I merely suggest that each of us as individuals have come to acquire a particular moral narrative here as the embodiment of dasein. And not as someone in possession [philosophically or otherwise] of the most rational and virtuous assessment there can ever be.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 31862
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Abortion

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:barbarianhorde
Of course, there are those women who just feel that they have unloaded excess baggage...
I wouldn't use that metaphor but the women I know who've done it did not regret the choice, some later chose to have children, other not. In most instances I've know the men were even less interested in having the child, and I have never met a man who did know about the abortion of his potential child who was concerned at all. I know there are men who are upset if the choice is made without their input and some who are upset about the choice to have the abortion. But generally the men seem relieved and less ambivalent than the women.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm


Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users