May we lie to the proletariat?

A civilian may be justly served when a truth is kept from him by a knowing government.

• true
  • false
0 voters

Old news. Interesting question still in the air.

brasschecktv.com/videos/gove … lying.html

It seems that telling some truth about some politicians has paid off for a businessman and his business community, the US - evoking I presume the fear of him telling even more truth, with he ha threatened to do in the campaign, but this isn’t the same as being obliged to reveal the existence of identities - that gets pretty strange quick.

My gut reaction is that we should not hide stuff. I am not sure why it is ‘the proletariat’. Stuff is hidden from other classes also.

I do think there can be good grounds to hide certain things.

But this must be a context where the regular abuse of’ ‘national security’ etc. excuses never results in what should be serious jailtime or even the death penalty - since to me this kind of excuse often counts as treason. Someone who for political or personal reasons or just plain embarrassment or to protect careers, lies in this way to FOIA request, has committed a serious crime. Not just in the specific instance but because it damages trust at such a fundmental level. But Ican’t think of anyone getting busted and getting serious time for these bullshit excuses.

In a context where people cover shit up with regularity for the wrong reasons and if ever caught are not punished…

I say, full transparency.

I would agree, but I am not sure if I would if I were in the position to make these decisions.

In general a military mindset is one that is okay with secrets, with information getting scarce down the ladder, it enhance efficiency. Do we need military?
My answer is yes, but not because it is needed, but because it is there, in men, and needs to be controlled, organized to be a benefit rather than a chaotic societal violence. Sports do a lot to take this but the ultimate discipline is always going to be before death, which is the most basic fact of life. A military, deliberately limited existence is for many men a way to give shape to the given of their mortal nature; this is, I believe, deeper than any use value this or that party has for armed forces. The same goes for deliberate ignorance; it is a form of discipline. Religions origins are there in part as well.

As long as gas stays cheap, and it’s easy to live as an American from day to day, and I don’t have to work hard to live a good life, then I don’t care what the government does or what happens in the war zones etc.

You could have a military and I think come up with justifications for all sorts of tactical information being secret. I understand why D- Day is not told to all the soldiers. But you could also show that people who hold stuff secret that was about something else get punished. You can still have secrets, there would still be BSer that got away with it,just as other crimes are never completely eliminated. But you can show that even people with a great deal of power, like presidents, will be convicted if they misuse the option, the population can have a generalized trust.

The working class only exists as a luxury or privilege of our elite existence. They should be satisfied and content with the scraps of their existence that we throw out to them from time to time.

Only ignorant, uneducated, and stupid malcontents questions otherwise.

They exist solely to serve their betters and need to learn humility in accepting that constant reality. They must learn a respect for obedience of authority to their betters or otherwise be removed from society permanently if they become too much of problem in becoming unmanageable.