North Korea in good faith?

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Will North Korea negotiate in good faith?

1. North Korea will continue its deception of agreeing to any attempt by Trump to really abide by any forthcoming treaty to get rid of nuclear weapons from the Korean peninsula.
50%
2.North Korea will this time, faithfully abide by a new treaty prohibiting any possession, production or dissemination of nukes, thereby possibly securing Trump the Nobel peace Prize.
50%
E. No comment or I have no way of knowing.
No votes

Total votes : 4

North Korea in good faith?

Postby Meno_ » Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 am

North Korea has been literally fooling the West in their promise to give up nuclear ambitions in the Korean peninsula. Time after time, they have turned a seeming political good faith agreement into sabotaged ill will, by breaking their part of the agreement. Given the sophistication of US intelligence, is it conceivable that the US would go into any agreement , as newer escalations if deception would sink good faith agreements deeper into disbelief ?

Unless there is an ulterior motive , such as the devaluation of North Korean claims, as re g adds to the extent of their level of technological development, the only other conceivable factor, which could mitigate the incredibly apoearnt low level of US intelligence, could be the hope that technical US progress would eclipse any North Korean claims. Could either, or any assessment be off the rails?or, is there some deliberate fabrication going on within US intelligence as well?

This poll has, three choices, and You may select any one, all if which can be changed at any time.
Meno_
Philosopher

Re: North Korea in good faith?

Postby MagsJ » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 am

2.. as with the whole world watching on, how could North Korea not abide.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue May 01, 2018 5:02 pm

I doubt the good faith of all the players in this play.
Karpel Tunnel

Postby MagsJ » Tue May 01, 2018 5:32 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:I doubt the good faith of all the players in this play.

May be there will be benefits for North Korea, if they abide.. we don't know what deals were struck and what promises were made over handshakes in private, in private rooms and vacant corridors.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Karpel Tunnel wrote:I doubt the good faith of all the players in this play.

May be there will be benefits for North Korea, if they abide.. we don't know what deals were struck and what promises were made over handshakes in private, in private rooms and vacant corridors.
Maybe a terrible dictator got scared by a more dangerous insane man representing a group. The more dangerous group with more resources may treat, so far, their citizens better, but that doesn't mean their motives are good on this issue or others. Kruschev was the leader of a worse kind of government, but in the Cuban Missile Crisis he took more risks than Kennedy to keep the world from ending. I hope PUtin makes the right choice when these nutbags put his back to the wall. Which does not mean I think he's a good guy.
Karpel Tunnel

Postby esperanza1 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 am

My grandfather fought in the Korean war. It would have been nice to ask his opinion if he were alive today. My initial thought was that it was surprising to hear on the news. It is good to hear, but time will tell for me.
esperanza1

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed May 02, 2018 8:15 am

MagsJ wrote:2.. as with the whole world watching on, how could North Korea not abide.

I'm not saying I know one way or another, but I mean, they don't exactly have a good record of not developing missiles and all that.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:
MagsJ wrote:2.. as with the whole world watching on, how could North Korea not abide.

I'm not saying I know one way or another, but I mean, they don't exactly have a good record of not developing missiles and all that.
Who does? How many cities have they destroyed with a missile or a bomb?

Not that I like the thought of him with missiles, but beam in the one's own eye, mote in the other's.
Karpel Tunnel

Postby MagsJ » Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:Maybe a terrible dictator got scared by a more dangerous insane man representing a group. The more dangerous group with more resources may treat, so far, their citizens better, but that doesn't mean their motives are good on this issue or others. Kruschev was the leader of a worse kind of government, but in the Cuban Missile Crisis he took more risks than Kennedy to keep the world from ending. I hope PUtin makes the right choice when these nutbags put his back to the wall. Which does not mean I think he's a good guy.

Would he have raised his head above the parapet, to get nothing more than a (lost) staredown for having done so?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Dan~ » Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Isn't it kinda crazy that USA has so many nuclear weapons then tells everyone else not to build nuclear weapons?
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby Meno_ » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Dan~ wrote:Isn't it kinda crazy that USA has so many nuclear weapons then tells everyone else not to build nuclear weapons?

The USA has a lot, so does Russia , China, France, Great Britain, India, Pakistan, Israel, North Korea, Iran, but nobody seems to want further proliferation. If North Korea wants it, south Korea may want it, and and Japan, and some of these countries may be tempted to sell to the highest bidder, in case of a bad year for the economy in their countries.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Trump pulls out of summit in Sigmapore

Is this am example of hype to gain political capotal. , or, something more sinister?

Whose simcwrwry or imsimcerity is foremost?

How does.this effect this poll? ( or not)

Or is this a bilateral behind closed doors agreement
to pit things on hold?

Will Trump's pulling out. be interpreted as a win, at the expense expense of Kim, or vice versa?

Or is this leading to the only available exit route according to some executive observers, WAR?

How does this play onto Kim's supposed long found sincerity, after decades of nuclear blackmail?
Meno_
Philosopher

Return to Society, Government, and Economics