Globalization

At this point it seems that the process of globalization is inevitable and unstoppable. But the same things that make it powerful can also be its weaknesses.
I’ve often asked myself if it was possible to stop, deflect, or slow down this process, and so far I’ve come up with two possible solutions.

Cyberwarfare is one of them and is probably, as of now, the most logical means. The interconnectedness of the global systems (corporations, and politics) also makes the global system vulnerable to disruption and destabilizing by viral attacks. I think we are still in an infant phase of cyberwarfare technology, but as all the systems become more interconnected, the consequences of such disruptions will have even greater consequences. With frequent enough disruptions, decentralization may be seen as the only logical outcome.

EMP technology. This one has already been covered by others. It works on the same principle but with even greater consequences. With enough disruptions of electrical coverage, people’s reliance on them may be discouraged as they start seeking lower-tech alternatives. I also think that the consequences of such disruptions will become proportional to the scale and magnitude of interdependence and interconnectedness of all parts of the global system, maybe even to the point where it will eventually fall apart on its own as it will become more widely acknowledged and accepted as an unworkable or unsustainable model.

Globalization may of have been inevitable as an experiment however its internal collapse is equally inevitable through failure.

I think it will fail because of people’s innate risk aversion. People generally don’t mind sharing the benefits, but not so much when it comes to risks.
As an example, you can see this happening with immigration crisis in Europe. Every time there is a refugee related terror attack, the counter message of staying united and committed is pushed through the media. But it’s not really working, as you can see an increase in nationalist sentiments. Nobody wants to be the next target of attack, no matter how supportive they are of refugees. Are most Europeans willing to accept that price, the risk of being the next victim? I don’t think so. Same thing with global economy, or politics. Nobody wants to go down with the whole ship, because they think they’re better than others, and that’s just human psychology. You can see it outwardly expresses by certain countries that refuse to accept refugees.

More than risks though as plenty of loss is prevalent everywhere.

The real crux of globalization is the consolidation of power, dominance, and conquest. The real reason it will collapse is because the world is too big to be controlled by anybody.

Nobody ever learns from history and there are always those individuals who think they can have or control it all. History just keeps on repeating.