New school shooting, leftist response

What you’re experiencing is confirmation bias. You’re focusing on those exceptions and making a rule out of them to satisfy what you already believe. Calling it intuition lends it a limited amount of credibility, but implying a near zero correlation corresponds with your intuition that there is a correlation has no credibility.

You were doing so well, implying you gave a damn about an objective analysis of your stats, but you immediately betray this as a token gesture by implying that you have after all already supplied facts that suggest it to be reasonable to relinquish any beliefs contrary to said facts. You still haven’t examined the graph and statistics more carefully (like you said you would) and you’re already claiming some kind of victory. I even read your initial version of the post before you edited it, which previously contained some remarkably ironic statements…

A very, very poor show.

@Silhouette

If the rule appears to be close to zero correlation between guns and homicides, and the handful of exceptions have far fewer guns and much more homicides, than that’s still better for the right’s position than if the handful of exceptions had much more guns and much more homicides.
While I didn’t crunch the numbers when I concluded it appeared to be a little better for the right’s position than the left’s, neither did you when you concluded it appeared to be neutral.

You, consider, banning something when the data shows it’s overwhelmingly more dangerous than safe, like crack and meth arguably are, not when it’s shown to be neither more dangerous than safe, nor more safe than dangerous.

Are you going to say the places that have lots of gun control need it to keep people safe, and the places that don’t have lots of gun control don’t need it to keep people safe?
And therefore we should have lots of gun control across the board, because at best, it’ll make some places safer, and at worst, it won’t make any places more dangerous?
But at this point that’s just your opinion, I could just as easily say the places that have lots of guns need lots of guns to keep them safe, and the places that don’t have lots of guns don’t need lots of guns to keep them safe.
And therefore we should have lots of guns across the board, because at best, it’ll make some places safer, and at worst, it won’t make any places more dangerous.

I could say something like: in places where people are more prone to violence, committing dozens of murders per 100 000 people per year, guns deter them from committing even more violence, and in places where people are less prone to violence, guns neither deter them, nor entice them, but the data presented here thus far doesn’t show any of that, it shows that it doesn’t matter, much, altho we can examine it more thoroughly to see if subtler connections can be drawn.

If teachers are going to be armed, then librarians should be given silencers.

Those old biddies would use them too. :laughing:

I don’t know man, I’ve always thought of old librarian women as sawed off shotguns type of gals. Something about making huge bangs in the silent no talking areas of the library is just a guess.

Leftists assume personal irresponsibility as the default position, therefore it makes perfect sense to a leftist that people should not be allowed to own guns. Leftists do not see adults, they see only weird hybrids of man-children, millennials with man buns and ironic T-shirt’s living with their parents, spending their time between Facebook, Snapchat and Starbucks.

That is how leftists see humanity. So obviously leftists can’t possibly frame any of these issues correctly. Leftism as an ideology actively militates against even the possible existence of adulthood, i.e. mature self-responsible and free citizenry.

Republicans don’t exactly believe in self-responsibility either, that’s why they’re always telling us what kind of drugs we can take, what kind of sex we can have, what kind of music we can listen to, what kind of religion we can practice (Islam is scary, etcetera), and when we can have an abortion, etcetera.
Republicans are hardly more libertarian than democrats, they’re both authoritarianism-lite in their own way.
There’s liberal, matriarchal fascism, and there’s conservative, patriarchal fascism, and it’d be interesting to run through some of the differences and commonalities between the two.

Sound thoughts.
Thankfully the disarming of the US population is not going to happen, the 2nd amendment did fulfill its purpose, conservatives are wel armed and there will be war rather than EU styled tyranny. So perhaps, none of the two, just a restoration of sanity, some years down the line.

Absolutely.

I wonder how much the death of God has to do with this. Obviously he didn’t die on he right, but the Left really struggles with it, they do everything to keep themselves mental and moral children, to erect whatever pompous murdering figurehead presents itself to them above all of us, just to not have to actually exist.

Maybe we should just claim to be God, and take it all over.

Tell me exactly why fewer guns causally leads to more homicides in a handful of exceptional cases, and that this means that more guns causally leads to less homicides in general?

Be careful here. I have set up a minefield merely by presenting your so easily-reached conclusion within the context of your evidence. There’s at least a few fallacies that you’ll have to resort to to justify this one.

Actually I did. That’s why I’m baiting you into your own trap that you’ve set yourself. If you want to walk into it, then I can’t stop you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jamd3qlWHrI[/youtube]

Leftists do want to get rid of the second amendment.

How is liberalism inherently more theistic than conservativism?
More liberals are atheists than conservatives.
How’re libertarian, or conservative principles more antithetical to theism than authoritarian, or liberal ones (emphasis on: or, as I already pointed out, authoritarianism isn’t anymore compatible with liberalism than conservatism)?

You might say worshipping God is akin to worshipping the state, and authoritarians worship the state, that is to say they surrender their sovereignty to it.
But that’s only the case if the state isn’t a democracy, and you’re not the dictator or an oligarch.
If it’s a partly or fully authoritarian democracy, than you’re as much exercising your authority over others as they’re exercising their authority over you, and if you’re a member of the majority, and the authoritarian democracy is solely exercising its authority over minorities, like the rich, than you’re not relinquishing your ethical, intellectual, psychological or material autonomy at all, in fact, it’d be a kind of slavery to libertarianism to not exercise your authority over others, when it benefits you (and your values).

Any ideology, philosophy or ism you surrender your will to, is a kind of, theism.
No ism can be fully aligned with our will, as our will, and life is dynamic.
And we’re all different.
I’d say if libertarianism mostly appeals to you, because it aligns with your sense of fairness, and/or you think you stand to benefit from it, than fine, but for others, it doesn’t align with their sense of fairness, and/or they don’t think they stand to benefit from it, and for them, it’d be akin to worshipping a God, or a disembodied set of commandments, to subscribe to it, to give themselves over to something totally alien to their being.

Yup, the slippery slope is what bothers me most. They take, er, I mean, we give up some liberties and get acclimated to it, then we give up some more and get acclimated and so on.

And then it sets precedent. “Well we’ve banned assault rifles, and this situation X isn’t much different, so let’s ban X.” It’s impossible to know all the consequences.

But the underlying cause of violence will still remain even though a means of expression has been removed. The kids will find new ways to vent that are perhaps less destructive, but perhaps more frequent, and the death toll would continue to climb, just in less cinematic displays. I don’t see how removing the means of ventilation will relieve pressure.

Leftists do not talk about the real causes of violence, either in general or specifically to individual incidents like a school shooting, because leftists are idiots. Focusing on guns is a way of distracting you from the fact they have literally nothing to say.

Ah shit, I don’t like the gun control thing but the comfortable left-blaming so perfectly fits in the real power structures giggle glee it needs to be called on. And Rightists hate big government until there is a false flag or hallucinated enemy war - ususally with someone who used to be an ally of at least the CIA - and then they happily watch trillions shifted from personal bank accounts to places like Halliburton. Rightists happily confuse the freedom of corporations - whose charters used to be seen as 1) priviledges and 2) revocable - as somehow the same as the freedom of individuals, and who extends this into 3) freedom for banks and wall street not seeing how this actually crimps human freedoms. Rightists thought leftists were faggy US haters when they pointed out how US foreign policty undermined the lives, democracy and freedoms of people in other countries AND STILL CANNOT ADMIT the connection to how this is happening domestically to US citizens, now that the same elite no longer needs US citizens to be comfy any more. Sure the left has fucked up all over the place. So has the right. And every times you get all smug and simple and aim hate at one, you are playing the stupid checkers games that the people in power want you to play. Further, you’re not taking responsibility for your own weaknesses and what you have done.

There is a direct correlation between increasing leftism in American society and increase in violent incidents like school shootings. Families get hollowed out by cultural Marxism, communities get devastated by neoliberalism, schools can no longer educate people due to forced indoctrination programs and political correctness and the hyper-litigious nature of this leftist society we live in, not to mention administrative bloat and union bloat in the education system which is sucking away most of the funds that should be spent on actually educating people and paying teachers who actually do their jobs, rather than coddling the shit teachers who do not give a fuck but happen to have tenure so know they cannot be fired.

And if anyone acts out or has a problem with any of that, obviously they’re a deplorable, so just shame them or give them a bottle of psychopills. Rising cult of victimhood, Orwellian political correctness, poverty and decimation of the middle class under leftist and neoliberal programs, and pharmakillers in the “medical” industry pushing a million different kinds of pills to distort people’s brains in the hope of making them “comfortably numb”. Yeah, I only wonder why there aren’t even more shootings and violence.

Leftists used to understand these things, they actually used to stand up for real earthy human values and for rational free discourse on issues like this… not anymore. The Left has steadily decayed on the one hand into a rabid mass of Orwellian virtue signaling mob agitators, extreme cultural Marxist tyranny, and on the other hand into subservient passive little sell out corporate neoliberal drones.

What a disgrace to the tradition of the real left. Not that it was ever that great to begin with, but it did serve an important role as an exteriority and check against tyranny, and as an expanding space of free rational inquiry. Left used to at least ostensibly stand for freedom… now it stands for nothing but slavery and mindrape, and is quite proud of this.

I’m not a “rightist” and never claimed to be. So not sure if any of this was supposed to apply to me, or what?

Oh, please, I’m old. They never could educate people. Texas would veto every fucking history and social studies book because the rightests there could not face some known facts about history, let alone religious rightism. In my day rightist ideas about discipline and teacher authority and the three rs and no sex and all that stuff created a creativity deadening learn by rote teach people NOT to question authority cog in a machine production line. Morons creating morons. Forced indoctrination has been the rule, period. And what would now be considered right wing political correctness was the rule also. Eveyrone running around calling people fags, teaching each other not to have any emotions except anger and confidence, conforminism and cut out figure ideas of what it is to human or male or female. Now the shoes on the other foot and it is just as stupid. Morons with no idea what a human is giving out rules and using shame from the right and now guilt from the left to put people in little boxes of each kind of political correctness. Fuck that shit. LIving in a dream world. Look at the fuckers from the 50s and 60s in photos and films of the time, documentaries. Stiff cardboard humans who could barely breathe.

Nostalgia based on ZERO experience.

That is how everyone is taught to think. One, figure out if this is a Right thing or a Left thing. Then I know if I am for it or not. Then when the other group was in charge of the political correctness it was, is or will be bad, when my team was it was good. Fuck that, your all human haters. You all want people to climb in little stiff boxes and just because your box is different from their box, well they are all stiff little boxes to me.

Well, if the fucking right wing would allow people to be critical of pharma, maybe we could cut through that bullshit. But no, they have every right to control congress with lobbying, control media through pressure from advertising money etc. No, the right have nothing to do with the powerful interests that are diagnosing and selling psychotropics to every fucking person. Give me a break. Of course the left is involved in that two since you are both human haters, one of you running on shaming the other on guilt, neither knows how to deal with emotions.

Well, I appreciate that you can see soemthing in the left, even if it also was in some golden age that never was. The left had insights into corporate power abuse and foreign policy evils, the right has had healthier skepticism of government power - in some ways. There are other positives and both have been royally fucked up.

I wish people would get away from these terms and actually watch, feel, think about what is happening.

But everyone seems to want a team. Human, but there are no teams, not for humans, at that level of generality. At that level you just have take you pick human hater ideologies.

You’re stuck in the matrix of black vs white, right vs left dichotomous thinking. Your entire approach to the ideas I’ve raised is basically “Oh yeah well look how bad the Right is!!” as if that has anything to do with anything I’m saying, which it doesn’t.

Yes you bring up some good critiques of the right, I’m not really a fan of the right either. But society isn’t shifted to the right anymore, it has taken a hard shift to the left. The only thing slowing that progression toward more leftism is the inertia of the more right-oriented cultural past in America, but in the next generation or two you’re going to see the impact of that inertia decline substantially.

If you need to start talking about how bad the right is as soon as I bring up points against the left, then you’re not being honest. We could also talk about how stupid the right can be, I’m fine with that. But this topic was more about leftism, and since leftism is the default “new normal” now, it makes sense to discuss leftism on its own terms.

Also, the political categories of left vs right aren’t even that meaningful anymore. As Parodites was saying, these categories are being supplanted by a new paradigm and set of categorical polarities: 1) globalist vs nationalist, and 2) statist vs non-statist. The intersection of wherever you fall on those two polarities is going to determine your political positions and outlook.

The right is pretty stupid much of the time, and the left has become a rabid decaying goo before our eyes. So I talk about how insane the left is because it is insane now, and leftism basically controls directly or indirectly anywhere from 75% to 95% of the western world now in terms of culture, academia, education, entertainment, employment, and even politics (the center has shifted left, in Europe especially but also in America, so that even a “center right” politician is basically agreeing to a large degree of leftist thinking).

The only certain and vital function of left and right has been as a check against the abuses of power of the other, to basically swing the pendulum back the other direction when things get too out of hand. That’s why we have this dichotomous breakdown. It’s useful in his way. But ideology has taken over, first it took over the right in the 80s and 90s and now it’s taken over the left.