Humans are Parochial, Territorial and Feral

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Humans are Parochial, Territorial and Feral

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:42 am

While the OP title is a gross generalization, it's sufficiently truthful for the purpose of this OP.

Humans have always fiercely guarded their borders/frontiers ... material and psychic.

Largely Western peoples have created and marketed worldwide the technologies and products ... especially in travel and communications ... that have increasingly facilitated the infiltration of their borders/frontiers ... both material and psychic ... by aliens.

Poetic justice? ... irony? ... law of unintentional consequences?
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Re: Humans are Parochial, Territorial and Feral

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 am

Two of the hottest topics in America and the EU:

1) Immigration

2) Control the narrative/story.

The source of creativity/innovation that lead to this situation is the same geography.Hmmm!
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 pm

...why I'm not a fan of most humans. :|
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Zero_Sum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:16 pm

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:While the OP title is a gross generalization, it's sufficiently truthful for the purpose of this OP.

Humans have always fiercely guarded their borders/frontiers ... material and psychic.

Largely Western peoples have created and marketed worldwide the technologies and products ... especially in travel and communications ... that have increasingly facilitated the infiltration of their borders/frontiers ... both material and psychic ... by aliens.

Poetic justice? ... irony? ... law of unintentional consequences?

What is your overall point with this thread? What kind of analytical final conclusion are you trying to make?
Zero_Sum
Machiavellian Negator And Cynic

Location: United States- Global Commercial Financial Republican Empire

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:19 am

"It's OK to suggest a direction to look in ... to tell people what to 'see' is naked arrogance."

Confucius

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Zero_Sum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:46 am

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:
"It's OK to suggest a direction to look in ... to tell people what to 'see' is naked arrogance."

Confucius

That's not an argument or answer.
The condition of man... is a condition of war of everyone against everyone.

I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death.

-Thomas Hobbes-
Zero_Sum

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:36 am

Zero_Sum wrote:

Confucius

That's not an argument or answer.

Why does a reply have to qualify as an "argument"?

Why is it not an answer ... you asked ... "What is your overall point with this thread? What kind of analytical final conclusion are you trying to make?"

I answered ... telling people what to 'see' is naked arrogance ... I try to be humble. :-)

The OP provides a general "direction" ... a hypothetical version of human reality ... followed by several questions ... so far only Mag has more or less agreed with the proposition though she has not addressed the questions.

My assumption is readers can't ... or don't want to ... 'see' the proposition.

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Zero_Sum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:40 am

Why is it not an answer ... you asked ... "What is your overall point with this thread? What kind of analytical final conclusion are you trying to make?"

I answered ... telling people what to 'see' is naked arrogance ... I try to be humble. :-)

The OP provides a general "direction" ... a hypothetical version of human reality ... followed by several questions ... so far only Mag has more or less agreed with the proposition though she has not addressed the questions.

See what proposition exactly?

I put for the general inclination of all mankind, a perpetual and restless desire of power after power, that ceaseth only in death.

-Thomas Hobbes-
Zero_Sum

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:51 am

Zero_Sum wrote:

See what proposition exactly?

My ability to articulate my thoughts crisply and clearly is often sadly lacking. While I 'see' my thoughts ... expressed as black marks on a screen ... quite clearly ,I have some empathy for those who want clarification of a particular word or term or ??? and so on. Empathy for a request for a blanket restatement of my thoughts ... not so much. :-)

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Zero_Sum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 am

My ability to articulate my thoughts crisply and clearly is often sadly lacking. While I 'see' my thoughts ... expressed as black marks on a screen ... quite clearly ,I have some empathy for those who want clarification of a particular word or term or ??? and so on. Empathy for a request for a blanket restatement of my thoughts ... not so much. :-)

Try your best and we can go from there. I'll try not to be harsh in any criticism.

-Thomas Hobbes-
Zero_Sum

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 am

Zero_Sum wrote:

Try your best and we can go from there. I'll try not to be harsh in any criticism.

:lol:

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Zero_Sum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:40 am

Zero_Sum wrote:

:lol:

I sense a failure of trust between us. :wink:

-Thomas Hobbes-
Zero_Sum

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 am

Your posts read like output from Sophia the robot.

I'm an old man ... I tire easily.

Over and out :-)

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Zero_Sum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:02 am

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:Your posts read like output from Sophia the robot.

I'm an old man ... I tire easily.

Over and out :-)

I am sorry you feel that way but am in no way surprised.

As an old man I would hope you would be smarter than that.

-Thomas Hobbes-
Zero_Sum

Return to Society, Government, and Economics