Poverty in America

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Landlord tenant act dramatically favors the tenant already. Thats why housing costs so much.

I thought that greed was the reason housing costs were so high. How does the landlord tenant act favor tenants in such a way to cause the cost of rents to skyrocket?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:51 am

By favoring the tenant in almost every way. Part of the cost of running a business includes legal expenses. When the law favors the tenant, the landlord's legal expenses go up. Hell, its almost impossible to evict someone who stops paying rent without them staying there another 6 months trying to fight you over fixing some bullshit that they probably broke themselves. Then even if you do win, and get a judgement against them which is rare, good luck garnishing the wages of some asshole who doesn't even pay his rent.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:54 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:By favoring the tenant in almost every way. Part of the cost of running a business includes legal expenses. When the law favors the tenant, the landlord's legal expenses go up. Hell, its almost impossible to evict someone who stops paying rent without them staying there another 6 months trying to fight you over fixing some bullshit that they probably broke themselves. Then even if you do win, and get a judgement against them which is rare, good luck garnishing the wages of some asshole who doesn't even pay his rent.


But how are they favoring the tenant in every way? Where I live the eviction process takes about four weeks, involves the filing cost for the court and maybe sheriff costs to make sure they vacate the premises. In total no more than $500 and no lawyer is needed. Most tenants fail to appear in court.

Too many landlords listen to sob stories and promises that their rent is coming and meanwhile months pass without them getting paid. That's how they lose money, but that is their own fault because its a hassle to do the whole court eviction thing and most slum landlords are lazy like that.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Too many landlords listen to sob stories and promises that their rent is coming and meanwhile months pass without them getting paid. That's how they lose money, but that is their own fault because its a hassle to do the whole court eviction thing and most slum landlords are lazy like that.
What?

A couple of posts ago, rents were high because of landlord greed.

Now landlords are either too lazy to collect rent or they are too nice and they let tenants get away with not paying on time.

:-?
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: ->.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Faust » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Where I live, tenants are favored. However, many landlords do not really know how to evict. These are the small players. Some do not hire lawyers. Some do not know their rights. Tenants, especially troublesome tenants, do know their rights. Here's an example of how many poor people do have a strong social network. They often need to develop a social network that's a bit more productive. That's because, in the end, the landlord will win. It just takes a lot of time and sometimes money.
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16726
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 pm

phyllo wrote:
Too many landlords listen to sob stories and promises that their rent is coming and meanwhile months pass without them getting paid. That's how they lose money, but that is their own fault because its a hassle to do the whole court eviction thing and most slum landlords are lazy like that.
What?

A couple of posts ago, rents were high because of landlord greed.

Now landlords are either too lazy to collect rent or they are too nice and they let tenants get away with not paying on time.

:-?


Yes, they are greedy and are willing to wait for their fat rents and unwilling to spend $500 to kick out people and end their fat rents for sure, then lose a month of their fat rent trying to fill that fat rent vacancy.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:17 pm

Faust wrote:Where I live, tenants are favored. It's obvious in the slum properties that aren't safe or sanitary that those tenants are favored...favored by who? However, many landlords do not really know how to evict. These are the small players. Some do not hire lawyers. Some do not know their rights. Tenants, especially troublesome tenants, do know their rights. Here's an example of how many poor people do have a strong social network. Where's the example? They often need to develop a social network that's a bit more productive. I have no clue what you mean by this? That's because, in the end, the landlord will win. It just takes a lot of time and sometimes money.Why does it take so much time again?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Yes, they are greedy and are willing to wait for their fat rents and unwilling to spend $500 to kick out people and end their fat rents for sure, then lose a month of their fat rent trying to fill that fat rent vacancy.
It just sounds like you are reacting to the last post that you read instead of having a consistent point of view. :(

Do you have a point of view on it? You know, as opposed to simply arguing. :evilfun:
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: ->.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 pm

My biggest beef is with overpriced slummy apartments where they bring in desperate poor people who have no credit or job security to pay for unsafe/unsanitary living quarters in downtrodden neighborhoods. The slumlords know that they are going to get rent (maybe not all of it from each tenant), but they put no upkeep into those properties, so 90% of what they bring in is profit oriented. And those hellholes are usually overpriced by at least $100, some more, for what little they offer by way of conditions, amenities, neighborhood safety, pest control, working appliances, smoke detectors/fire extinguishers, safe stairways and building lighting, snow removal/lawn care, windows/doors that aren't broken, roof maintenance, up to code electrical and plumbing, etc.

Lead paint and asbestos is just covered up, rather than removed.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 pm

My biggest beef is with overpriced slummy apartments where they bring in desperate poor people who have no credit or job security to pay for unsafe/unsanitary living quarters in downtrodden neighborhoods.
That's the nauseating part of supply and demand in a market economy. People who are desperate to get housing are exploited by landlords.

If there are rent controls, then the number of available housing units goes down and rents go up.

If there are no rent controls, then landlords can mercilessly gouge the tenants.

The only real solution is to educate and train people to earn enough money so that they have more control over their lives.

Or abandon the market and have complete government control over housing. :wink:
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: ->.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Why is everything an either or choice? Can't a free market be loosely guided by socialistic requirements?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Why is everything an either or choice? Can't a free market be loosely guided by socialistic requirements?
Socialism is the compromise between free market capitalism and communism. The USA has a version of socialism.

Honestly, a free market capitalism is too much for almost everyone to stomach. That's why it doesn't exist.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: ->.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm

What's the best mix of capitalism and socialism in this case of tenant vs. landlord and rental rates?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby phyllo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 pm

WendyDarling wrote:What's the best mix of capitalism and socialism in this case of tenant vs. landlord and rental rates?

I don't think that there is a simple answer to that question. A small number of landlords and tenants will abuse every system. The legal system is so slow and ineffective that abuse is encouraged rather than discouraged.

The practical/pragmatic answer is closer to the capitalist end of the spectrum rather than the socialist end. That's simply because greed and self interest are faster and more responsive to needs than central planning.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10101
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: ->.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Faust » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 am

WendyDarling wrote:
Faust wrote:Where I live, tenants are favored. It's obvious in the slum properties that aren't safe or sanitary that those tenants are favored...favored by who? However, many landlords do not really know how to evict. These are the small players. Some do not hire lawyers. Some do not know their rights. Tenants, especially troublesome tenants, do know their rights. Here's an example of how many poor people do have a strong social network. Where's the example? They often need to develop a social network that's a bit more productive. I have no clue what you mean by this? That's because, in the end, the landlord will win. It just takes a lot of time and sometimes money.Why does it take so much time again?


Favored by housing court.

By example i mean that generally, poor people lack a strong social network.(Exceptions are still-insular recent immigrant groups.) But when they are trying get stuff (like occupancy for one more month, despite eviction) they often have a plethora of advocacy groups and knowledge among the group to help them beat the system. Which they usually can, for a while. I have met people who can't hold a job for half a day but can sniff out a free ham sandwich on the other side of town.

A more productive social network would form if they would avail themselves of existing social institutions. Try to learn how to work the system rather than beat it short term. Today, I suggested to an out of work individual (long story) that he contact the ACLU. he had no idea what ACLU meant. I'm going to try to get him some free legal advice and have asked a colleague to call in a favor to try to get him a job. Despite that he lied to me, misrepresented his situation. Despite that he has lied to my colleague. And blown her off when he had an appointment. And wouldn't think of thanking me if I got him straightened out. It's difficult to help people when they lie to you, sometimes.

And he lied because I'm a guy in a tie and poor people are taught to mistrust and even despise those that are not poor. The way you, wendy, are trying to teach people. Social networks are built on trust and trustworthiness.

Evictions take time and money because tenants have more procedural rights than landlords.
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16726
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:30 am

The landlord tenant act is a federal law, that is mirrored in state law in all the states if I'm not mistaken. It favors the tenant. This is common knowledge.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Poverty in America

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:35 am

The way you, wendy, are trying to teach people.

Here we go with the inane accusations. When have I ever dissed a tie?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Faust » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 am

wendy, your overall thesis is that poverty is cause by too much wealth. If wealthy people would just hand more money over to poor people, there wouldn't be any poor people. The examples are all over your posts. You claim that rich people are morally obligated to do this.
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16726
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:44 am

I have a lot of ties. I wear then to fancy dinners and think about all the people out there boiling rice. Then I order and extra drink so I can drink one for the rice boilers.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Dan~ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:49 am

Long ago money was based on silver, gold, and copper.
And the rest was farm goods.

The present american capital system is a fantasy.
Like literally a thing made of pure fantasy,
which then can buy and sell real, non fantasy, such as food and water.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9772
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 am

Gold isn't worth any more than a piece of paper unless you need it for some industrial use.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Dan~ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:Gold isn't worth any more than a piece of paper unless you need it for some industrial use.

That is true. Old world riches have to do with a large family and a large farm.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9772
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Poverty in America

Postby tentative » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:03 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:Gold isn't worth any more than a piece of paper unless you need it for some industrial use.


I exchanged a pile of scrap gold for paper... It seemed like a fair exchange at the time. The paper has been quite useful on a number of occasions.
IGAYRCCFYVM
Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
tentative
.
 
Posts: 12361
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:08 am

I've always been a big fan of money.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Poverty in America

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 am

I used to buy tons of silver eagles when the spot was low, then wait for it to go up a few bucks, tale it all to gun shows and sell it at a big premium to kooky old men who want precious metals that the government doesn't know they have. Old men at gun shows get boners for shiny American made silver coins.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24691
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

PreviousNext

Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron