chaos

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

chaos

Postby fuse » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 am

1:00:30 wrote:And so, Pinocchio, it's a very interesting movie, I could tell you what its fundamental presupposition is, I'll just guide you through it very, very rapidly. So, at the beginning of the movie, Gipedo, who's the archetype of the good father, by the way, which is an archetype that we've forgotten about but does exist because our culture isn't just a tyrannical patriarchy, as you can tell by the fact that we're warm and comfortable and we're not tearing each other to shreds at the moment, which is what you do in a state of absolute chaos, right? It's mayhem while you're freezing and starving. Right. And that isn't what we have. We have peace. And it's rare. And it's amazing that we have it. But we shouldn't take it for granted. Because it's not the normal order of things. The normal order of things is destructive chaos. And if you're fortunate enough to live somewhere that's peaceful and productive, you should thank your lucky stars every second of your life. And if you don't do that all it means is that you don't know anything about history and you know nothing about human beings. Because things can get absolutely monstrous and it happens all the time. And there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be. And perhaps there's a fraction of you that's like that too. And I wouldn't nurture that fragment, if I was you, unless you want it to go where it will take you. Anyways, back to Pinocchio.

Anyone who's backed helplessly into a corner enough times can become bold enough to burn everything down. The mechanism is known: crazy is unpredictable. Even longtime antagonists will keep their respectful distance. The impressive thing is not the sudden reversion to absolute chaos, that's the rule, the default state of nature, the impressive thing is how fragile are capability, measure, and subtlety of thought. And that is what should be nurtured.
fuse
Philosopher

Return to Society, Government, and Economics