Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 am

Yesterday I had my first peek into the mind of Norm Chomsky ... at the same time ... an interesting ... disheartening ... inspirational ... experience. I listened to his presentation (April 13, 2017) on the topic "Prospects for Survival".

http://www.mullinscenter.com/events/det ... r-survival

He presents a rather gloomy outlook for humanity ... the fact that virtually his entire "world view" is seen through the prism of Western thought and experience ... is good news for humanity ... a sadness for Chomsky.

At some point in the presentation ... while talking about the enormity of the Climate Change challenge ... he says in a somewhat condescending tone ... paraphrasing ... "China lead the world in the Climate Change challenge?" ergo: it's unthinkable in the Western Psyche that China could lead the world in anything.

Hold on to your hats folks ! :lol:
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
User avatar
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:16 am

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby Meno_ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 am

What hats,gone with the wind a long time ago!
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby above us only sky » Fri May 12, 2017 12:59 pm

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote: "China lead the world in the Climate Change challenge?" ergo: it's unthinkable in the Western Psyche that China could lead the world in anything.

Hold on to your hats folks ! :lol:


Why can't China lead the world in Climate change? Trump de facto ended the climate pact but Chinese president Xi jinping has made the promise before the world that China will not back down in terms of Climate change. Last month, in the city I live a ban on all motorbikes using gasoline was being issued so I have to sell my old motorbike and buy an electrical one.

But I have to mention the decision made by China to go green is not out of pure selflessness, China needs to cut its oil import and use more green energy in order to achieve energy security. And most important of all, the Chinese government has to do this to reduce pollution and make its own people happy.
User avatar
above us only sky
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 am

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat May 13, 2017 12:35 am

above us only sky wrote:
pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote: "China lead the world in the Climate Change challenge?" ergo: it's unthinkable in the Western Psyche that China could lead the world in anything.

Hold on to your hats folks ! :lol:


Why can't China lead the world in Climate change? Trump de facto ended the climate pact but Chinese president Xi jinping has made the promise before the world that China will not back down in terms of Climate change. Last month, in the city I live a ban on all motorbikes using gasoline was being issued so I have to sell my old motorbike and buy an electrical one.

But I have to mention the decision made by China to go green is not out of pure selflessness, China needs to cut its oil import and use more green energy in order to achieve energy security. And most important of all, the Chinese government has to do this to reduce pollution and make its own people happy.


Perhaps Divine Endowment is on the move again. :lol:
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
User avatar
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:16 am

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby Amorphos » Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 am

Why can't China lead the world in Climate change? Trump de facto ended the climate pact but Chinese president Xi jinping has made the promise before the world that China will not back down in terms of Climate change. Last month, in the city I live a ban on all motorbikes using gasoline was being issued so I have to sell my old motorbike and buy an electrical one.

But I have to mention the decision made by China to go green is not out of pure selflessness, China needs to cut its oil import and use more green energy in order to achieve energy security. And most important of all, the Chinese government has to do this to reduce pollution and make its own people happy.


I am hopeful for china, maybe they will go all electric eventually. All it will need then is for the rest of the world to follow. If one were to do it in stages motorcycles are probably the least offenders though - compared to say diesel.
Really all it needs is for roofs to be solar cells everywhere, and all vehicles/engines to be electric, and wind/wave power etc. Trouble is our capitalist government has already started adding a tax on solar energy on roofs, because it doesn’t make money for the energy giants. Oh I should have added nationalization of power industry, rail and whatever else needs it, to the list.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
User avatar
Amorphos
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 7048
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Location: infinity

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby above us only sky » Sat May 13, 2017 2:48 am

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:
above us only sky wrote:
pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote: "China lead the world in the Climate Change challenge?" ergo: it's unthinkable in the Western Psyche that China could lead the world in anything.

Hold on to your hats folks ! :lol:


Why can't China lead the world in Climate change? Trump de facto ended the climate pact but Chinese president Xi jinping has made the promise before the world that China will not back down in terms of Climate change. Last month, in the city I live a ban on all motorbikes using gasoline was being issued so I have to sell my old motorbike and buy an electrical one.

But I have to mention the decision made by China to go green is not out of pure selflessness, China needs to cut its oil import and use more green energy in order to achieve energy security. And most important of all, the Chinese government has to do this to reduce pollution and make its own people happy.


Perhaps Divine Endowment is on the move again. :lol:


What?? Divine Endowment? OMG :shock:
User avatar
above us only sky
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 am

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby above us only sky » Sat May 13, 2017 2:57 am

Amorphos wrote:
Really all it needs is for roofs to be solar cells everywhere, and all vehicles/engines to be electric, and wind/wave power etc. Trouble is our capitalist government has already started adding a tax on solar energy on roofs, because it doesn’t make money for the energy giants. Oh I should have added nationalization of power industry, rail and whatever else needs it, to the list.


Actually Obama started some major green projects.
I do not think nationalization would help America, the real problem of going green is always money. The voters do not want to pay extra penny to use electrical cars.
The best way out might be to levy tax on individuals who use fossil fuel, but that would be impossible.
Green energy is much more expensive. I have to use two battery sets for my new electrical bikes if I want to avoid getting in the middle of nowhere and couldn't go home because my battery has no power.
User avatar
above us only sky
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 am

Re: Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Postby above us only sky » Sat May 13, 2017 3:12 am



:)
User avatar
above us only sky
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:46 am


Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users