Noam Chomsky's Myopic World View

Yesterday I had my first peek into the mind of Norm Chomsky … at the same time … an interesting … disheartening … inspirational … experience. I listened to his presentation (April 13, 2017) on the topic “Prospects for Survival”.

mullinscenter.com/events/det … r-survival

He presents a rather gloomy outlook for humanity … the fact that virtually his entire “world view” is seen through the prism of Western thought and experience … is good news for humanity … a sadness for Chomsky.

At some point in the presentation … while talking about the enormity of the Climate Change challenge … he says in a somewhat condescending tone … paraphrasing … “China lead the world in the Climate Change challenge?” ergo: it’s unthinkable in the Western Psyche that China could lead the world in anything.

Hold on to your hats folks ! :laughing:

What hats,gone with the wind a long time ago!

Why can’t China lead the world in Climate change? Trump de facto ended the climate pact but Chinese president Xi jinping has made the promise before the world that China will not back down in terms of Climate change. Last month, in the city I live a ban on all motorbikes using gasoline was being issued so I have to sell my old motorbike and buy an electrical one.

But I have to mention the decision made by China to go green is not out of pure selflessness, China needs to cut its oil import and use more green energy in order to achieve energy security. And most important of all, the Chinese government has to do this to reduce pollution and make its own people happy.

Perhaps Divine Endowment is on the move again. :laughing:

I am hopeful for china, maybe they will go all electric eventually. All it will need then is for the rest of the world to follow. If one were to do it in stages motorcycles are probably the least offenders though - compared to say diesel.
Really all it needs is for roofs to be solar cells everywhere, and all vehicles/engines to be electric, and wind/wave power etc. Trouble is our capitalist government has already started adding a tax on solar energy on roofs, because it doesn’t make money for the energy giants. Oh I should have added nationalization of power industry, rail and whatever else needs it, to the list.

What?? Divine Endowment? OMG :open_mouth:

Actually Obama started some major green projects.
I do not think nationalization would help America, the real problem of going green is always money. The voters do not want to pay extra penny to use electrical cars.
The best way out might be to levy tax on individuals who use fossil fuel, but that would be impossible.
Green energy is much more expensive. I have to use two battery sets for my new electrical bikes if I want to avoid getting in the middle of nowhere and couldn’t go home because my battery has no power.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INaV40Hy66Q[/youtube]

:slight_smile: