Who discovered North America ?

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Who discovered North America ?

Postby above us only sky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:28 pm

We learned in the school history class that America is discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492. But in recent years some people suggested there might be another story.

Here is one story I found very interesting:

North America was first discovered by Asian explorers. Here are some "evidence"

Evidence 1: A brass Medallion was found in early 1994 near Asheville, North Carolina with the following words "authorized and awarded by emperor Xuan De of Great Ming"

Emperor Xuan De was the ruler of Ming dynasty China from 1425 to 1435.

Here is the detail: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/373268-diggers-diary-mysterious-ming-medallion.html

Evidence 2: The European maps at the time contains very limited detail of the geography of the inland and pacific coastal area of North America while some Chinese maps have much more details and seems more correct:

Here is the link of a 1602 Chinese map, it is a collection of the library of congress.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3200.ex000006Zb/

If a person compare it with some 1650 European maps like this one
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3291s.mf000074/

One would realize that even 100 years after Christopher Columbus, the European map makers still consider California as a big island separated from the American mainland.

Evidence 3: In some American Indian culture, there may be something connected to explorers from Asia.
Here is the historical flag of the Cherokee people, this flag has the Big Dipper asterism.

And the Big Dipper asterism can also be seen in ancient Chinese flags. A 1400s Chinese naval guidebook shows the use of asterism for navigation.

Of course, there are different stories, some say America was first discovered by the Viking people long before Christopher Columbus.

Are they true?
above us only sky

Re: Who discovered North America ?

Postby Arminius » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:41 am

The first who discovered America were the Vikings under Leif Eriksson who lived from 970 to 1020. They discovered it around the year 1000.

Leif had one ship and a crew of 35, including himself. History records the group as containing 34 Vikings and 1 German. After leaving Greenland, they first happened upon an undiscovered island made of rock with ice mountains in the background. The second island they found contained flat white sand beaches and woodlands. Continuing westward, the third giant island they found may not have been an island at all. Many historians believe that Leif and his crew had just discovered the New England coast.

In 1473, an expedition under the command of the Germans Didrik Pining und Hans Pothorst with the Danish navigator Johannes Scolvus and the Portuguese João Vaz Corte-Real discovered America also before Christopher Columbus (1492).
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby D3R7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 am

Thnx for that Armininius. Knew the Vikings were first just light on the details. :icon-ugeek:
Do you, by virtue of possessing grace in the natural order of things, feel above and beyond your fellow man?
D3R7
britainican viper

Postby Venture » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 am

Shortsighted and Eurocentric, where were you educated? The internet? The Aboriginal nomads were the first to discover North America around the time of the last ice age. Exact date and migratory waves is debated, but population movements and territorial discovery is consistent with the Archaeological data. I have included some supplementary reading I think you would benefit greatly from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Native_Americans_in_the_United_States
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/1207/12072012-native-american-migration
http://time.com/3964634/native-american-origin-theory/
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
"
Venture

Postby Arminius » Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Origin and settlement does not mean discovery.

The aboriginal nomads have nothing to do with discovery, except the fact that they were discovered too when America was firstly discovered.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 pm

The aboriginal nomads have nothing to do with discovery, except the fact that they were discovered too when America was firstly discovered.

:lol:

Arminius, I didn't know you did standup comedy.. your reviews would read 'brilliantly funny'. =D>
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby captaincrunk » Thu May 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Everyone knows that Mormon Jesus came here with the Egyptians, creating the native Americans.
captaincrunk
BANNED

Postby Amorphos » Thu May 25, 2017 8:26 pm

The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 pm

MagsJ wrote:

Arminius, I didn't know you did standup comedy.. your reviews would read 'brilliantly funny'. =D>

:wink:

Thanks, Mags. It was meant seriously too.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby MagsJ » Sat May 27, 2017 5:33 am

Arminius wrote:
MagsJ wrote:

:wink:

Thanks, Mags. It was meant seriously too.

...like the Muslims are currently discovering Europe? I get you now Arminius, I get you. ;)
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arminius » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 pm

You get me .... wrong. :lol:
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 pm

I thought discovery was the legal tool for finding facts, as far as original man is concerned, the oldest human remains: it was in Ethiopia, and it was called 'Handy Man' , translated from Aramaic, incidentally, the language of Jesus.

All other aborigines were transplants.

Ancient Aramaic has very old middle eastern-African roots.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Arminius wrote:You get me .... wrong. :lol:

I was going by your premise Arminius, so I think I get you right? ;)

Feel free to make me think otherwise... I'm listening.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Chamorro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 am

There's so many conflicting arguements on who discovered America. I believe it was probably the vikings.
Chamorro

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 am

Chamorro wrote:There's so many conflicting arguements on who discovered America. I believe it was probably the vikings.

Is that due to anthropological evidence?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Arminius wrote:The first who discovered America were the Vikings under Leif Eriksson who lived from 970 to 1020. They discovered it around the year 1000.

Leif had one ship and a crew of 35, including himself. History records the group as containing 34 Vikings and 1 German. After leaving Greenland, they first happened upon an undiscovered island made of rock with ice mountains in the background. The second island they found contained flat white sand beaches and woodlands. Continuing westward, the third giant island they found may not have been an island at all. Many historians believe that Leif and his crew had just discovered the New England coast.

In 1473, an expedition under the command of the Germans Didrik Pining und Hans Pothorst with the Danish navigator Johannes Scolvus and the Portuguese João Vaz Corte-Real discovered America also before Christopher Columbus (1492).

Great images.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Nice read.

http://www.history.com/news/the-viking- ... to-america

Two quotes by Leif Erikson
The pain that we cause is the cause of our pain.

We are all leaders - whether we want to be or not. There is always someone we are influencing ~ either leading them to good or away from good.

so cool.jpg
so cool.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 914 times

That is so profound.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:34 pm

So.. were these original discoverers of America displaced or die out?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby above us only sky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:19 am

MagsJ wrote:So.. were these original discoverers of America displaced or die out?

They gradually disappears because
1.at that time maritime transportation over ocean is not easy, it is impossible to send a large group of colonists across acean easily and safely as the Spanish did later.

2. at time time, commerce is not that well developed, sending people across ocean to mine gold and silver and then sell those mined gold and silver back to the old world will not cover the costs and risks of maritime transportation, it does not make sense in bussiness.
above us only sky

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:47 pm

native americans are asians
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby MagsJ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

above us only sky wrote:
MagsJ wrote:So.. were these original discoverers of America displaced or die out?
They gradually disappears because
1.at that time maritime transportation over ocean is not easy, it is impossible to send a large group of colonists across acean easily and safely as the Spanish did later.

2. at time time, commerce is not that well developed, sending people across ocean to mine gold and silver and then sell those mined gold and silver back to the old world will not cover the costs and risks of maritime transportation, it does not make sense in bussiness.

...and now look at the place. :D

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:native americans are asians

The same ancestral line.. yes, but adapted.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:00 pm

My only question is, why did Native Americans not have fireworks and all the gizmos and gadgets of asia?
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Postby MagsJ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:My only question is, why did Native Americans not have fireworks and all the gizmos and gadgets of asia?

They may have broke off from their Oriental ancestors prior to the fireworks gizmos and gadgets that the Orientals invented?
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arminius » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 am

MagsJ wrote:
Arminius wrote:You get me .... wrong. :lol:

I was going by your premise Arminius, so I think I get you right? ;)

Feel free to make me think otherwise... I'm listening.

When you came to England, did you discover England like the Vikings when they discovered North America? :)

Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:03 pm

As Quebecers are proud to tell me, the Vikings were in Canada long before any weaker peoples set foot in the Americas.

Edit - I see Arc beat me to it.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Thunderbolt steers all things.
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Next

Return to Society, Government, and Economics