Hellenism

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Hellenism

Postby mannikin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Is Hellenistic culture superior?
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Re: Hellenism

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 pm

mannikin wrote:Is Hellenistic culture superior?

K: the problem with this question is that you have to define Hellenism
and you have to define or understand what superior and superior to what?
to whom? and why? the question as is, leaves us nothing because it says
nothing..... is Hellenism superior to our culture? ok, better, because we
have something to work with... you have something to compare or contrast....
redefine your question and give us something to compare to contrast...
that at least will be a start......

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

The RNC has announced that's its changing the Republican emblem from
an elephant to an condom because it more clearly reflects the party's political
stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby mannikin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm

You're the kind that demands your girlfriend pays half towards a bottle of shampoo, arnt you peter?
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:52 pm

mannikin wrote:You're the kind that demands your girlfriend pays half towards a bottle of shampoo, arnt you peter?

K: I have been married for over 20 years, so, no......

Kropotkin
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby mannikin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm

dude, give her my condolences
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby Kriswest » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Yes and no.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Kriswest wrote:

Yes and no.

K: and once again, we have to define or understand what is Hellenism and
how or why it is superior to who? what? when? where? without some
comparison or contrast, the question as well as the answer means nothing....

Kropotkin
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby Kriswest » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Why can't it be general? Damn near every time in history has something superior to other times and inferior as well.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby Amorphos » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Does Hellenistic culture have superiors? Don’t know about all that democracy for cows blocking the roads n stuff. Aristocracy was an opaquely prejudice society based on hereditary. They had slaves, empires etc, so nah I don’t think so.

I think the religion and philosophy will be around a long time yet though, even where only used as metaphor.
The truth is naked,
Once it is written it is lost.
Genius is the result of the entire product of man.
The cosmic insignificance of humanity, shows the cosmic insignificance of a universe without humanity.
the fully painted picture, reveals an empty canvas
Amorphos
ILP Legend

Postby Pandora » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:36 am

Many subsequent cultures have tried to revive it (neoclassicism), but I don't see how it can exist and survive in a globalized world.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Venture » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:07 am

Not superior, master morality and aristocracy and lack of hygiene and less advanced economic systems.
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
"
Venture

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 pm

Not sure what Hellenism is, other than a bunch of greeks eating grapes and femboys being slaves to older men.

Personally, I prefer hot lesbian culture. Not a big fan of America because it dooms all males to hell and damnation. I would say Hellenism is superior than America because at least they tried an honest attempt to do philosophy.
building a better future
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby mannikin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:11 pm

satyr said this..

To understand the Hellenic spirit from an organic perspective, you must begin with the environment they evolved within: sea faring, fluid, as opposed to moire terrestrial, fixed, enclosed peoples giving rise to more stringent, fixed, memes.
The reason why Greeks, to this very day, cannot establish a organized system is rooted in this inherited past.
The moment they dominate, they are no longer there.
They have forgotten, swept away to other shores.
They cannot build on their victories because they are always seeking new battles where the odds are stalked against them.
Let us ignore the Modern variant, infected by Abrahamic nihilism, thinking it is owes eternity, that it deserves paradise as compensation for its earthly suffering, the true Greek has forgotten what he won, what he earned, what he has.
Sacking Troy he must cast upon the tides, towards his homeland, with an unknown fate in the immediate distance.
Little time to wallow in accolades and conquered lands, like Alexander, he must return, closer to home, before he goes off again.
Unlike the Germanic spirit that consolidates, gathers, defends what has been gained, the Greek splurges his gains with his friends and loved ones, and then awakens with a hangover and empty coffers, forcing him to begin, once more.

Women were the only ones who kept the fires going.
Why do you think they had to return home when others carried with them their gains, collection them, dragging it with them across the deserts?
The sea was their home - the bounty of nature.
Their ships their only solid ground, floating on fluid turmoil.

Was this not their charm, their talent, their flexibility on the waves, dealing with tides and winds?
With no solid earth, nuder their feet, was not their spirit one of a mature child, playing, glad to be alive, for one more day, melancholic and nostalgic for a shore that will not hold them for long?
There is no army on the seas.
There are only a band of individuals, licking the salt from their brow, sharing the struggles with the ocean.

your thoughts?
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:21 am

No, Hellenism is not superior. Men who ride the waves to fish are preferred to men who ride the waves to rape, pillage, and murder.

Are you another of Satyr's sturdy mules?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby mannikin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 am

No I was sharing quotes to generate discussion on the subject
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby mannikin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 am

The traits of superiority that man maintained, an ability to rationally dissect, to convert energy into creativity through imagination and produce tools to serve a purpose, it is this intelligence that places man above all..

I'm not sure if rape and murder actually existed then the way it does now. So I think they were superior, perhaps not morally so, but what does that mean when it comes to a hostile environment?
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Hellenistic cultures are interesting but my latest obsession has been Incan, Mayan, Aztec, and Polynesian ancient civilizations.

Cultural superiority is irrelevant. A non-issue.
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit

Postby mannikin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Mictlantecuhtli wrote:

Yeah and fat people are "big boned".......... :lol:
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:54 pm

mannikin wrote:
Mictlantecuhtli wrote:

Yeah and fat people are "big boned".......... :lol:

If western civilization was superior, why is it destroying itself and letting itself be overrun or supplanted?

It seems to me the reoccurring cycle of human history is that when a civilization reaches a zenith of advancement it eventually destroys itself from within. Fermi's paradox anyone?
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby mannikin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Mictlantecuhtli wrote:
If western civilization was superior, why is it destroying itself and letting itself be overrun or supplanted?
mannikin
King Of The Damned

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Obviously not if it can't withstand the test of time....

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby AutSider » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Mictlantecuhtli wrote:Obviously not if it can't withstand the test of time....

Did any culture truly withstand the test of time for long?

I guess for any group to do that, they must first perceive reality as it is - perceive the causes of why cultures weaken and get destroyed, introduce rules to prevent this happening to them to protect the foundation upon which a society is built, and be willing and capable to enforce these rules.

Men who ride the waves to fish are preferred to men who ride the waves to rape, pillage, and murder.

Who cares what you prefer? Fishing and conquest (rape, pillage, murder) are not mutually exclusive, by the way.
AutSider
Truth seeker

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 pm

AutSider wrote:
Mictlantecuhtli wrote:Obviously not if it can't withstand the test of time....

Did any culture truly withstand the test of time for long?

I guess for any group to do that, they must first perceive reality as it is - perceive the causes of why cultures weaken and get destroyed, introduce rules to prevent this happening to them to protect the foundation upon which a society is built, and be willing and capable to enforce these rules.

Men who ride the waves to fish are preferred to men who ride the waves to rape, pillage, and murder.

Who cares what you prefer? Fishing and conquest (rape, pillage, murder) are not mutually exclusive, by the way.

That's kinda the point, isn't it? No culture or civilization has.

Perceive and enforce what exactly?

Mictlantecuhtli

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:34 am

I'm not sure if rape and murder actually existed then the way it does now. So I think they were superior, perhaps not morally so, but what does that mean when it comes to a hostile environment?

Why do men believe that every environment is hostile? How do we know that what they "created" was their own not stolen from another culture brought back on their boats or mules?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:47 am

Autsider wrote

I care and so may other women. Men who listen and also hear tend to live longer, happier lives.

The broader picture could be that attitude you expressed by typing, "Who care what you prefer?" becoming the antithema of women. Perhaps Amazonian days are upon us since men refuse to cooperate and defer to women in general and have exhibited this tendency since the dawn of Man. Men have dismissed women for a long-assed time and that may be coming to an end where men are now realizing that they are being dismissed in return.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Next

Return to Society, Government, and Economics