Willing and Intention

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Willing and Intention

Postby humeirah008 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:27 am

I am curious about the connection between willing (the Will, as Hannah Arendt, Nietzsche, Heidegger et. al. use it) and intention (the prerequisite of mens rea needed in law before convicting someone).

Are there nuances in the meaning of both?
humeirah008

Re: Willing and Intention

Postby CelineK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:01 pm

... look at the world today... obviously the will and intention can be manipulated.
The Laws Of Light, Emotions And Sexuality. http://www.celinek.net The time has come in the history of man's journey from his material jungle to his spiritual mountain top when it is imperative that he must live more and more in the cosmic Light universe of knowing, and less in the electric wave universe of sensing -- Walter Russell.
=============================================================
A Money-Free Society Is Now Reality! The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth and not to fall under the will or legislative authority of man but only have the law of nature (immutable principles) for his rule. Samuel Adams. -- http://www.earthcustodians.net
CelineK

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Let's not leave out a necessary element between will and intention : power, without a greater power, will and intention collapse into a common simile, a false identity, that, relegating power with human will. But power to intend even a slight project, multiplies n-fold, through the power of the WILL.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Celine, I just noticed it, we joined ILP exactly the same day, month, and year. -Just an observance.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby CelineK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:21 pm

jerkey wrote:Celine, I just noticed it, we joined ILP exactly the same day, month, and year. -Just an observance.

Hello dear! indeed. You are a good poster on here... :mrgreen:

do we have to make a donation to get a title?
The Laws Of Light, Emotions And Sexuality. http://www.celinek.net The time has come in the history of man's journey from his material jungle to his spiritual mountain top when it is imperative that he must live more and more in the cosmic Light universe of knowing, and less in the electric wave universe of sensing -- Walter Russell.
A Money-Free Society Is Now Reality! The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth and not to fall under the will or legislative authority of man but only have the law of nature (immutable principles) for his rule. Samuel Adams. -- http://www.earthcustodians.net
CelineK

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Well I don't know, but if a title has to be bought, the word will certainly get out, thereby defeating its purpose.

As for being a constant poster, I don't think it makes much difference here, whether one is here merely to twiddle away time, or working on a thesis. It's pretty much irrelevant, if you were to ask me.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

I see the same month and year, but different days. jerkey mon dec, 7 and celine tues dec, 8.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm

WendyDarling wrote:I see the same month and year, but different days. jerkey mon dec, 7 and celine tues dec, 8.

Darling, that's not possible. Please look again.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Still different.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Unless my eyes deceive me.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:40 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Still different.

Or, Your eyes deceive You.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 pm

I wish my eyes deceived me right now, but no tropical beach, just that difference.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby CelineK » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 pm

I have so much free work (of mine) on the net that I rarely consider donating... but ILP is a good forum

jerkey wrote:Well I don't know, but if a title has to be bought, the word will certainly get out, thereby defeating its purpose.
CelineK

Postby Meno_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm

I agree totally, this is a good site, good people and all, no complaint from this angle. Cheers.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:42 pm

humeirah008 wrote:I am curious about the connection between willing (the Will, as Hannah Arendt, Nietzsche, Heidegger et. al. use it) and intention (the prerequisite of mens rea needed in law before convicting someone).

Are there nuances in the meaning of both?

008 ... since you are seeking a philosophical debate/discussion of the topic you introduced ... and I'm not schooled in philosophy ... feel free to ignore this simpleton's thoughts. :-)

My gut reaction to your post ...

1) Sigh! ... oh the folly of language.

2) Wow! ... the potency of language.

3) Is there a contradiction between 1) and 2) above

4) Subtle profundity

5) "The bird of 'time' has a short way to fly" ... heard that line in a movie I watched last night ... apparently written by a Persian poet in antiquity. Your statement and this line are both as "clear as mud."
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby demoralized » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 am

i think will is a feeling
demoralized
Thinker

Postby humeirah008 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 am

I mean Willing in the sense of Free Will -- the way Hume, Kant, Nietzsche talk about it. The complete autonomy you have in your thoughts and actions.

Intention,as in mens rea -- the legal term we use and attribute to human beings before convicting them of a crime.

Are the two -- Free Will and Intention -- interchangeable? That was my question.
humeirah008

Return to Society, Government, and Economics