"Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Philosophic zombies make it infinitely easier to get laid.

It's not sexist, it's the logic of reincarnation.

The biggest complaint men have is that only assholes get resources (sex being a resource - the one most referred to) so, if you are an asshole who EVER gets a resource, you go to hell by the hypocrite clause.

Trixie ... You're already saved because you want to be a woman. This isn't your problem


I don't see the logic. If men who get laid have pzombie copies left in your dimension, thats less odds of you getting laid.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to explain how Satyr is a retard. How is he a retard?
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Carleas » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:56 pm

To the point of the thread:

Uccisore, are you saying that both the Russia hack and the Manning leaks are acceptable, or that they are both unacceptable? Or do you, like many who you disagree with politically, find a way to distinguish the two?

To the trans issues: This clearly gets beyond the scope of this thread, though the scare quotes invited it, so...

It seems that the conservative worldview is the more common one in human history, given that it is more common in the developing world, a place that is effectively living in the past relative to the developed world. And I don't mean that as a put down, but rather by explanation. In the historic context, uniformity within a group was extremely important to the survival of the group, because it had implications for group efficiency and coherence. In a threatening world full of rival groups, it's extremely important for the group that it not fight itself.

That homogeneity was and is policed by shaming. Transexuals, like goths and many other subcultures, are groups forming in opposition to the mainstream, a significant threat to group coherence. Being mean to transexuals is a way of encouraging everyone to move back towards the middle. It communicates that deviation from the norm has a social cost in the form of exclusion. That, I think, explains a lot of the 'hate' that comes from people who align as more urban, working class, nationalist, etc.: those are all positions that made a lot of sense when you couldn't communicate directly with anyone anywhere, and buy almost anything from anywhere in the world, and form group allegiances without regard for geography or nationality or traditional ties. The hate is instrumental.

But to preempt what I think Uccisore will say: it's true that transexuality is no longer just people being different. It's become a signaling mechanism for both sides, a way of showing group membership by indicating strong affiliation with a positions that really doesn't have much practical relevance. And I think the left is actually borrowing a page from the conservative playbook, by using transexuality as a shibboleth to show membership, policing social norms and being intolerant of deviation. That I think makes sense if the left thinks of itself as a minority movement, because a minority should prize group cohesion. It's just a little awkward to choose the tolerance for a certain difference as the thing around which you won't tolerate differences in order to enforce in-group sameness.

Xunzian, I'd recommend the early part of Uccisore's Generation, Tradition... thread for insight into his worldview, I feel like I got some good insight from it before the german-fetishy members made it about race. I also recently read Scott Alexander's intro to reactionary philosophy, and I don't know if Uccisore considers himself a reactionary, but I see a lot of similarities between it an his thought, and it definitely fleshes out some things I see more and more in mainstream conservative thought (note that Alexander isn't a reactionary, he wrote that in preparation for an anti-reactionary FAQ, also worth a read).

And a belated welcome back, by the way.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 5154
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Xunzian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Xunzian wrote:This is true. I also knew fewer transfolks when I was last actively posting. Though, while I'm still not a huge fan of effeminate third-gendered homosexual folks, I'd like to think I'd have been better than to be actively transphobic. Passively, sure. So what?


Words are not play things, for children to use. Third-gendered=hermaphrodite. A hermaphrodite cannot be homosexual, it is inherently bisexual, even if it lusts for only hermaphrodites, because hermaphrodites are bisexual entities (bisexual as in having male and female sex organs.)


Ucci and I have history, so forgive us our slang. Back in the mid-to-late '00s when Ucci and I were regularly effortposting at each other, the "third gender" was effeminate Oscar Wilde-style homosexuals.

Ucci didn't like them because they didn't fall within his perception of an acceptable purview. I still struggle with them because it is a party I've never been invited to. We each struggle with our own different reasons but because we are also old friends our glibness can be seen as offensive.

Life comes at you fast and while the trans population is still targeted, they've gone from a target nobody knew (and this didn't care about) to an issue worth discussing.

I'm a critic of capitalism but it does accelerate things:

Image

I don't like xkcd but that image gives me a perverted sense of hope.

Hope demands that things are not good. Hope can even be the worst poison.

But I'm a romantic. I like hope.

Edit: I am also a firm advocate for the gender binary. I'm OK with elasticity around poles but not multipolarity. If we can "decolonize" gender then maybe. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.
User avatar
Xunzian
Drunken Master
 
Posts: 10432
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:18 pm

Since when did Majority Opinion account for philosophy? Philosophy is based on logic and reason, it should be a community circle of thinkers making the best decisions. Politics a joke, to rule sheeple too cuckified to do anything about it. Who cares what the sheeple think?

The goal is to ban all abrahamic religions. How are we gonna do that if we put it to a popular vote? They are all brainwashed into religious disease at early ages, 80% of the population are religious idiots. We need an aristocratic Noble like me to ban it, not put it to a vote of the sheeple.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Uccisore wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:lol @ "the logician in you". Poking holes in arguments is something that anyone can do to any argument. So being able to do that doesn't make you a logician, nor does it make any of your hole-poking anything any more special than anyone else's. I think what people find distasteful about you is that you seem to get some kind of kick out of being offensive. Which is sort of related to why I used to ask how old you are. You never answered that question, so I have to assume that you're some age between 18 and 24, because you have the mind of a child as far as the average reader of what you write is going to be concerned. You wont actually engage anyone who disagrees with you unless they are as comically politically slanted as you are. So there's that, and you're just kind of an immature asshole in most other circumstances. But hey, it's your life. Live it how you want. It's clear that you're the one who suffers the most from all of this.


I don't know what you think you wrote, but what you actually wrote is the leftist's typical reaction to encountering an opinion they disagree with on the internet. There's nothing unique about me, or about this thread, or about this topic. Right now, there's a hundred thousand left wingers across the web making up litanies of personal attacks and speculative bullshit about somebody's personal life because they just can't accept that not everybody is left wing. Xunzian is twice the thinker you'll ever be, and the best he could do was still "How dare you express your opinions in [current year]!"

You think it's about me, but it isn't. You and I both know that you make up stories and allegations similar to the above in your head every single time you watch or read somebody disagreeing with you about politics. It's just in your nature as somebody on the left. I don't take any more offense to it than I would an angry, barking dog. Your above post carries about as much meaning, after all.



Riiiiight. Everyone is a leftist except for Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, and Paul Ryan, and Alex Jones....right?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Xunzian » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:07 am

I'd just like to poke my head in here and say that Smears is probably twice the thinker I'll ever be. I like my niche zone and I think I'm pretty good at it. I can parrot past masters and make their words fit almost anything. But what I've really done is navigate a path. I've followed the thinkers I've liked and bounced up against and found a way around the thinkers I haven't. Sometimes growth came from a thinker I liked reaching a conclusion I didn't. Do I submit myself to their will or do I go another way?

There is lots of discussion that could happen there.

Smears is the only dude to routinely use logical notation. Even if he was just trying to make a point of nihilism (often) he used the most up to date rationalist means to do so. Using rationalism to deconstruct itself is not my bag but I appreciate that dude can (or at least could? It's been many years) do it .

My niche zone is Eastern Religions. Smears' niche zones are logic and philosophy.
User avatar
Xunzian
Drunken Master
 
Posts: 10432
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 pm

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks buddy. That's what I went to college for.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:49 am

Has anyone seen Uccisore? I wanted to ask him about his take on some current affairs in our great nation's capitol.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:Has anyone seen Uccisore? I wanted to ask him about his take on some current affairs in our great nation's capitol.



K: since 45 has self destructed, Ucci has been MIA.... I guess he doesn't want to face any shit
about 45........I for one certainly wouldn't give Ucci shit for 45 being such a shitty president :-"


Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

The RNC has announced that's its changing the Republican emblem from
an elephant to an condom because it more clearly reflects the party's political
stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5652
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm starting to worry about him. I know he had gone through a series of meltdowns here. Running around lashing out at people and basically getting blue in the face with having to cope with some of his views not lining up with the world in front of him.

Like I disagree that the travel ban didn't have anything to do with Muslims, and I disagree that its appropriate to publicly shame minorities, poor people, and those who have preferences that differ from mine. But I don't want him to be going through what he must be going through having to watch his ideals crumble in practice every day on the news.

He might be embarrassed, maybe enough people got through to him and he's now coping with his bigotry and realizing that not everyone in the world is a radical leftist, and that there is such a thing as a center.

I hope he's ok. He's a very smart guy, too smart to not be a little ashamed right now of how he's been behaving. Hopefully he can come back and apologize to all the good people he's insulted here, and to the ones who's reports he's routinely deleted as a result of his political bias. And maybe he could be willing to have civil conversations with people and we could learn a little more about how he came go hold the radical, bigoted selfish, petty childish views that he's let define him for so long. I used to think that the term "moderator" would require a person who is moderate to faithfully execute the position. Ucc, showed me that that was false.

Ucc, I don't agree with you about much, but I hope you're reading this and taking it well. The rest of us aren't as mean and hateful as you, so you can come back and were not going to attack you the way you would attack us.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Carleas » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Or maybe it's spring break and he's taking a vacation...

I don't know that to be true, I just think it's pretty unlikely that his absence has anything to do with the goings on at ILP. It's easy to overestimate our causal role in other people's motives. For example: I don't think Uccisore ever deletes reports on this forum; I delete them after a week or two.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi
 
Posts: 5154
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 pm
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Who knows man. I know that he generally thinks I'm a libtard or whatever, and I know he's been facing a lot of disagreement from a broad variety of posters who disagree with which many would consider inappropriate expressions of his views, and that his absence conspicuously coincides with a lot of real world happenings that seem to demonstrate that some of what he agrees with isn't a popular as he may believe. But we're supposed to exchange ideas and points of view here, and so I felt co concerned that he may feel as though he may not be welcomed in the current political climate. With what's going on in the news, it just made me wonder. I have a tendency to get the most entertainment/enlightenment/intellectual engagement out of posters who disagree with me on principle. So I wanted him to be here to discuss some of this stuff. Hope he is just on vacation. I'd hate to think that he felt uncomfortable discussing this stuff with guys who've known him here for years.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 24141
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Meno_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 pm

But logically it's just another case, albeit in reverse, of Trump' s tactic of defensive offense. It's really only a laymen' s dealing with the fallout from a no contest admission. I think I am right but in case I am not, heck....

The post modern version of minimal admission hence responsibility.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2027
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Meno_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:48 pm

His absence , may mean so many things that your guess is as good as mine.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2027
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:01 am

Uccisore wrote:Check this out:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 32441.html

So, Julian Assange said he would allow himself to be extradited to the U.S. if mercy was shown to Manning. So that's a big part of why this was done- Democrats want to get their hands on the person who they blame for bringing down HRC (along with Comey, but of course not Weiner).


WRONG. In the nearly three months since you posted this there is no sign whatsoever of Assange being extradited to the US.
Michael Jackson
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

Re: "Chelsea" Manning's Sentence Commuted by Obama

Postby Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I hope he's ok.


He won't be - the alt right is facing a huge identity crisis (how ironic, given their entire subculture is based in identity politics). As the most prominent of all the self-victimising clowns who make up our political spectrum, Trump winning was a huge problem for them. You can't honestly claim that white male conservatives are somehow being destroyed by Leftists when the Democrat party ditched their Left wing candidate in favour of a genocidal but politically correct centrist, who then lost to a orange supremacist retard.

Furthermore, it didn't take Trump long to reveal that he isn't anti-establishment. I mean, who would have thunk it? Him being a North Eastern billionaire and all. Meanwhile, Milo is a busted flush who covers up and makes excuses for paedophiles, which even the most warped alt rightist cannot claim is OK, having spent years claiming that it is the Left who promote and excuse paedophilia. Now you've got a guy in the White House who openly talks about how he fancies his own daughter, and the gay Greek immigrant troll who was being heralded for sticking it to the liberals admits to being a sociopath who covers up for child abusing cunts.

That is to say, the alt right made claims to morality which are now utterly falling apart. I've noticed how in the last few weeks they've gone virtually silent, so I doubt that Ucci is any different. Of course, when and if he returns he'll deny it, because the last thing any alt rightist does is admit to having feelings or being hypersensitive, even when they're losing their shit at some neolibtard twatting on about where trannies go for a shit.
Michael Jackson
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users