Old Age

How old is “old”?

When people talk about elderly people, what age do they actually mean? 60? 70? 80? At what point does one become ‘old’? :-k

I am 52 and think I am old because I have made my peace with death and know that I am merely passing through this life
It may sound like a cliche but age is just as much a state of mind as it is a number so in that respect I am very old indeed

What about biology?

There is that of course but a relatively healthy old person can feel much younger
than their actual age. That is exactly what I meant about it being a state of mind

Just turned thirty today and I feel mentally old. (Physical health not too far behind)

Living a stressful life can make a person feel and even look older than they actually are.

For a man, 65
For a Woman, 40

There are plenty of beautiful women over 40 so that figure is too low

Nobody said old people can’t be beautiful. Just, any woman over 40 automatically is old.

I’m hardly the first to come up with that presumption.

Women hit the wall at 30, so i would say 30 is old for them.

For men, about 70ish…

and yes, panny, your’e old.

Let’s go talk to an old person

youtu.be/efs-q55ehYc

I don’t know. I figure “oldness” starts with losing faculties that are 1. normally natural to young people and 2. are associated with aging.

Thus: there are signs of old age, there are indications that one is getting old, but “old age” is not defined by a number, because it is a variable entity. Some people are not forgetful until their nineties, some are markedly more forgetful in their fifties than they were in their own thirties. ETC.

There is a varied multitude of sign of old age: forgetfulness, balding, graying, wrinkling, losing physical strength or stamina, sleep pattern changes, disorientation (spacial), extreme frugality, etc. etc. Many of these signs are not appearing at all, or not together, in entry points in time, in an aging person.

Therefore establishing a consensus of a demarcation age between “not old” and “old” would be much arbitrary, and therefore it does not exist.

Exists if your a woman. It’s 40.

But I am not a woman. (As the picture shows.) Therefore it does not exist.

N.B.: you gave a condition to your statement. The sole condition was that I be a woman. I am not a woman. Ergo, your statement is false.

Sorry. This is only logic speaking from me. (-;

No one said your a woman.

All I know is I’ve seen some sexy grandmas out there. Not saying it’s common, just saying. Of course, you can stay young in the spirit no matter what age you get physically, but I know you youngsters aren’t talking about that type of old and young. That’s far beyond your current maturity level, after all.

I agree. Nobody said I was a woman. You tied the old age to women at 40, if I were a woman. Which I am not.

The logical construct which you are perhaps not familiar with, and which I invoked via your conditional statement, has the following syntax, and the following meaning attached to the syntax:

“if (condition) then (predicate).”

This structure implies, that if the condition is true, then the predicate will happen. If the condition is false, the predicate won’t happen.

(your a woman) was addressed to me. Therefore it’s equivalent to (-1- is a woman). It is not a statement of fact. It was used as a condition.

“If (-1- is a woman) then (women are old at 40)”.

Now watch:

(In effect, -1- is NOT a woman), therefore (women are not old at 40).

Here, your condition was false, and therefore your predicate did not happen.

I really don’t know how else or how better to explain this logical construct to you.

Please believe me I am not contradicting you. You said a conditional, and I never stepped outside the limit of your condition. I agreed with you the whole way, even when you said “no one said your a woman.”

We are always told to help out the elderly people. So, if you see a woman in her forties or fifties, would you consider her an elderly lady? Would you help her cross the street? Would you carry her groceries to her car for her?

I’ve never heard of this helping elderly people thing.

You’re from the South, you guys still have proper manners, like saying ‘ma’am’ when talking to a woman.

I would. Especially if these 40-42 year-old dowagers and old crownies promised some sexual favours in return.

I’m turning sixty-five in two years. I can hardly wait for all the sex I can handle, once these young women (39 and under) start to help me out cussing the street and pushing my car to the nearest gas station.