men and women

women and men need to find common ground and move forward solving problems…women must be recognized around the world
as having all the same rights and opportunities to participate in everything…otherwise we will go down the tube…we may anyways…

Anything to back that up?

Not that I disagree, I just don’t see the point of the post as it is:
(a) either it’s an uncontentious point that doesn’t need backing up, but by the same token doesn’t need saying at all, or
(b) it is a contentious point, and it does need backing up.

FJ is right. What are you basing your opinions on, turtle?

The question is, what can we do to effect change? How can we influence those parts of the world where women are treated as second class citizens?

Not yet is isn’t. First, we need explanations. Why do women and men need common ground? Why must women be recognized as having the same rights and opportunities? What does turtle mean by “going down the tube”? What are rights? There seem to be hidden assumptions behind the post thesis. What makes you think your ethical values justify influence other parts of the world where they have different values?

If our values mean anything at all, they apply to everyone.

How do you overcome nihilism? Who says your values mean anything? Or relativism? How do you know your values apply to everyone? People’s values vary according to their culture. How do you determine yours are right and their’s wrong?

If one culture thinks its ok to stone women to death for the crime of getting raped, forces them to marry their middle aged uncles and cousins at the age of 9, and allows men to have 4 wives but not the reverse, then either this is wrong, or nothing is wrong. Moral relativism can only go so far.

yes i need to be more specific …some of the churches(you know them) do not allow women in the very top positions…
the men will not allow it…i think this is causing problems…my opinions are just opinions based on my experience in churches, teaching in libraries, teaching in schools, volunteering in court, and running discussion groups on womens rights…

one discussion group explores the advantages of having women as equal partners with men especially in religious and spiritual matters…it is important to have good leaders…i have not been impressed with the guys…maybe we should give the girls a chance…how about a woman pope…

now maybe someone can give opinions that would help out with this proposal beside maia…she is doing good…

Women do need to be in power more and certainly they shouldn’t have equal rights. The first thing that I believe must be openly adknowledged though is that when women have been in power they often haven’t been startlingly better than men and secondly it needs to be openly adknowledged especially in the context of this type of discussion (where it is usually ignored) that while women are as a whole still being more oppressed by men than the reverse, women do oppress men. And I don’t mean to get into a discussion on how women as a whole may oppress men as a whole, but simply that millions of individuals who identify themselves as women oppress millions of individuals who identify themselves as men. Where is such oppresssion going on? Where ever there is oppression in general that is non gender related, such as racial discrimination etc. etc. Afterall, take any given race of people known for oppressing any other given race of people; does the oppressing race not have women, does the oppressed race not have men?

Someone may ask, ‘Yes, so what, all that you’re saying is obvious, do you have anything relevant to say?’ Yes, it is obvious, but in these discussions it is so often unadknowledged, it only needs to be adknowledged so that the discussion on relevant progression of women can begin on lucid grounds, beyond that, personally I don’t have any suggestions.

People can argue the point all they want, and skirt the issue by asking for definitions for everything turtle stated in the OP, but :

Women are people and should have equal rights as human beings. Plain and simple … and wherever that doesn’t exist, it’s wrong. Hang cultural differences … what a lame excuse … that is nothing but an enabler of wrongs to women.

What is wanted is to unskirt the issue actually.

Men are on average stronger and better at math and science than women. Why should women have equal rights?

Assuming that is the case, why is it so?

What makes your cultural perspective superior to that of others? Patriarchal societies were the norm throughout most of human history. Those societies assured human survival. What makes you think equal rights for women is better?

Oh Felix, get off yer high horse. What makes us think that equal rights for blacks is better?

This should be in Society, Government, and Economics.

I think first and foremost we should recognise after 200000 years of evolution men and women are different, and stop making apologetics for those differences. But that said it’s not a matter of saying all are equal clearly some are not, male of female, all we should say is those male or female with the ability to do so should shine without fear of contradiction. The day that is realised I will eat my hat in shock. Suffice to say the best compliment of minds in my experience whether what those minds have is genetic or socially learned contrivances, is having women amongst men. All male orientated groups are for shit as are all women, there is strength in complementation.

I

While I agree that one should consider the physical/innate differences between two groups of people before bantering around the flag of “equal rights,” I can’t for the life of me think of where these differences may lie when it comes to men and women. I almost posted about the right to maternity leave, but then I thought “well, no, in this day and age of gender roll dissolution, there is talk of men taking paternal leave.” That made me warry of basing rights on actual physical/mental differences versus traditional roll differences.

Nevertheless, if it turns out that some rights are more crucial to women while other rights more crucial to men, I think the biggest mistake we could make is to appoint only one group as the one who decides where those rights go. This is why it is indeed important to give both sexes equal opportunity for power and occupation. That way, you don’t have a dispraportionate sample of one sex making decisions for and determining the lives of the other (as if they knew what’s good for them better than a member of their own sex).

what is so hard to understand about this post…why are we having so much trouble…i am just giving my opinions from my experience…lets focus on all of the major religions …men are in charge generally speaking…why is that…is that a good thing…could there be improvements by having male and female together working out problems…

i was hoping that the religion and spirituality forum would be able to discuss ideas without having to prove everything…
i think this post is very important for this forum because we are talking about beliefs and behavior having to do with our survival…
thank you…

`Opinion.

hc you replied opinion----------
can you say more hc

Right. What does?