Coastal Management

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Re: Coastal Management

Postby anon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Kriswest wrote:Since this thread was started FEMA and insurance companies have made it difficult for even the wealthiest to rebuild on the coast and flood areas Isaac just made it even tougher.Buuut this is Mississippi , not heavily populated and not wealthy. I wait to see what happens up there. The article maybe right but if FEMA bows to wealth and population there might be some disgruntled Southerners. I have already heard some talk. So far noone thinks there will be no severe regs made for them. And their insurance premiums won't go through the roof.

What do you mean by FEMA bowing to wealth? The wealthy don't need FEMA. They will rebuild wherever they are allowed to (we'll bail out their insurance companies later, if they have insurance). Just asking, based on what I think I know - I'm not pretending I really do know. Am I wrong? I don't follow the ins and outs of how FEMA works.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby Kriswest » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm

FEMA has made so many building regulations , height, structure and others so that what would have cost 50 thousand to build costs 3 times that now. Premiums have quadrupled in cases most just doubled. So will Fema give just as strict regs there, will Insurance companies screw people there? There is so much money there and in the form of country law makers. FEMA is not independent. I do not trust their integrity. The wealthy must follow building regs. The wealthy hate spending money and the wealthy have power. I see some interesting possibles.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby anon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Kriswest wrote:FEMA has made so many building regulations , height, structure and others so that what would have cost 50 thousand to build costs 3 times that now. Premiums have quadrupled in cases most just doubled. So will Fema give just as strict regs there, will Insurance companies screw people there? There is so much money there and in the form of country law makers. FEMA is not independent. I do not trust their integrity. The wealthy must follow building regs. The wealthy hate spending money and the wealthy have power. I see some interesting possibles.

Well, yes, money and power are closely linked. I'm just weak on the details.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby Kriswest » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Makes two of us really. Oh hell that makes most of us. All I know is multimillionaires down here can't afford to rebuild mansions near the beach because the bottom floor must be over 26' off the ground. The engineering is expensive then the actual building. If the wealthy can't do it then the rest are screwed.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Society, Government, and Economics