Republican National Convention............

I know that the convention is just beginning tonight, but how do you think it will go? and any other thoughts about the Republicans?

They will spin Iraq as yet one more battle in the long war against terror… a war only Bush can lead because he is a true warrior (or something like that). I imagine that there will be plenty of mentions of Yahweh to keep the sheep happy. Something very similar happened at the Dem convention… both parties seem to be abandoning the massive Athiest/ Agnostic vote :smiley:

I expect to hear about the sanctity of marriage and how a man’s penis was only meant for a vagina, and so on

They will spin the positive economic indicators, ignore the increase in poverty and the decline of the dollar in the international market. No one will mention the national debt, or the looming healthcare crisis. The environment and education may be touched upon with empty promises… if we are going to be at war for the next 40 years I suppose those things aren’t important anyway.

I am hoping for some honesty and maybe see someone speak about how all forms of birth control should be outlawed so as to enable more children to be born and thereby shore up social security with jobs at fast food joints until they can be drafted to fight the “terrorists”.

I was told that no sitting President had ever been voted out of office while American troops were engaged in battle in another country. I have also been told that Iraq was the first time the U.S. has gone to war without some form of direct provocation.

We live in interesting times.

I listened to Bush’s speech and it was pretty much exactly what I expected, almost everything he said I disagreed with. I’m from the UK so I won’t be voting obviously, but I don’t understand how he can get so much support in the U.S. If he was standing in our elections with the promises of increasing the privatization of public services, decreasing welfare, banning gay marriage, making abortion illegal and hinting at invading yet more countries to “promote freedom” I don’t think he’d get 5% of the vote. Funnily enough in a poll they did here recently, something like 6% of people said they would vote for Bush and 94% Kerry.