Is Eugenics Ethical?

Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone believes eugenics, if applied in a manner most would accept as humane and ethical, would be a good idea.

A few years ago when searching the internet for why I personally was not really that bright and had to stuggle in school and in college right now, while my sibling was extremely intelligent and quickly and without difficulty earned a Bachelor’s Degree in science, I came across the site of neoeugenics.com/ I read about IQ, psychometrics, personality types, eugenics/dysgenics, genetic engineering, cloning, and similar topics. I found out that IQ is mostly genetic and that this is why I personally was not as successful as many others.

So, I ask myself, why not try to help future children by making sure they all get the best of genes available? I, from personal experience, knew what it felt like to have learning disorders and just an average IQ at best, and felt resentful at how smarter people took for granted their higher intellect without really appreciating it. The consensus among the smart is that it is good to have stupid people and that they deserve to be as such and that they are needed to clean the toilets and take out the garbage of the smart people, so thus it would not be in the best interest of smart people to support eugenics.

The problem of course is that eugenics is often tied to stories of genocide and greatly inhumane acts. But, if we look at the history of religion, medicine, and the like, everything can be taken to extremes, but it does not have to be.

Eugenics can be mild: we can encourage brighter people to have more children and the welfare class to have fewer children. Also, with the emerging genetic engineering technology and cloning, all parents can have bright children.

As a non-White person, I of course don’t support race-based eugenics, but rather one in which smart people, regardless of race, is valued, and less intelligent people, regardless of race, is something people would wish they could help to become more intelligent, if technology would allow.

What are your thoughts?

I don’t think one may base the value of an individual based upon intelligence.

What purpose do mentally disabled people share?
Should they be killed at birth what do you think? (A Nazi philosophy mind you)

I think people here rely too much on rationality and the mind while neglecting the heart, which is what makes us truly human; Humane.

Do you think a parent loves a stupid child less then a smart one? Is love conditional? Is the purpose of children to produce smart people for society or does one have children for an entirly different purpose.