The Speed Limit

Why does somone follow the speed limit on a deserted country road? Is it immoral to speed? Is breaking law such as that immoral?

When you break the speed limit you are only breaking the law. You are doing something unlawful. Whether that is moral or not I think is a different matter. But obviously when there is no speed limit then there is no such thing as unlawful. However if you travel on such a road at a speed that is dangerous to both you and others that I think is closer to the moral question.

Its still dangerous to drive fast, you could kill an animal if it runs infront of the car ummm…
The laws were obviously put there for a reason of which was thought over by a group of people and I generaly trust those people.

I suppose the speed limit is there because you don’t know that the road is deserted. You endanger other road users by exceeding the limit. I think it’s immoral in that you are putting your personal convenience above your responsiblities to others.

My best friend loved to speed…now hes dead. :blush:

And you can’t kill a rabbit going 75mph on the highway in a truck??? The law is only something that is made to make people seem to be safe. I think that only on highly populated roads should there be a SL.

~After Death~

Guys, lets not get distracted by rabbits on the roads, I am just trying to make the distinction between merely lawful (or unlawful) and being moral.

Bottomline is that you cannot legislate morality. And merely following the law does not make you a moral man, if being moral is what you care about.

The source of laws are other men, and are literally man-made and artificial. The basis for morality on the other hand is natural, it is in you - your conscience (or in God if you believe in such a thing).

Something can be lawful yet immoral, perhaps legalised prostitution for example. Something can be moral yet unlawful, perhaps revenge killing, or an eye for an eye, blood for blood.

At the end of the day all men made law are imperfect, from the perspective of its noble intent. The perfect law is in you and you know it. But whether you heed that perfect law or not is another matter. Being lawful is no excuse nor substitute for being moral.

A jewel of wisdom there. I cant express how happy I am to hear someone say that. : )

A tidbit of info:

Insurance lobbyists help set speedlimits lower than the saftey zone in order to bring in more revenue. It gives Police more leeway when the quotas are due, since they choose who and when to pull.

I dont trust those people. Check out the backrounds on some of the Congressmen today. Shady stuff. Need I list immoral laws?

It used to be your duty to alert the authorities to a “witch” so they could be killed.

We used to keep slaves.

It was legal to beat your wife.

I could go on here…

To the orginal point:

It is not immoral to speed, but it must be considered consequiencially. Recklessly endagering other motorists lives, however, is.

Name some more, it wasn’t a law that made us keep slaves or beat our wives, but it does make us go slow.

~After Death~

Ah your right.

It was legal oversights that allowed us to do these things.

How about a famous one:

The law once said that quite a few males ages 18 and up were to report to a recruiters station to fight in Vietnam.

I find it slightly immoral to make a man fight a war.

Or how about:

The law that states females must undergo a cliterectomy in certain parts of Africa?

US based? How about:

1907 Conneticut and Iowa passed eugenic serilization laws. California was soon to follow. Im about 17 years, over 3K people had been involuntarily sterilized.

We dont really have to go into the “Red Scare” or the Japanese concentration camps do we?

It is indeed immoral to make a man go to war. But it equally as immoral to let our whole country deteriorate by not making them go to war. And it is still a very valid `law,´ if you will…

~After Death~

Well ok, Assume the road is deserted and you know it is. Its way out in the country but the speed limit is 45 mph and you go say 60-65. This road is a fairly straigth road with a few tight turns in it. Is this immoral? IS it imoral to kill an animal by accident in your car if your driving the speed limit? Is it immoral to kill an animal if your going over the speed limit? Is it immoral to kill an animal by accident even if your not in your car?

*1-Assumed.

*2-It really depends on your morals, as some people may consider it immoral to break the law, but, in my opinion, no, it’s not, you are not being a bad person and are not trying to do bad, you are just merely saving yourself some time.

*3-I don’t think so, most animals’ life spans are extremely short, and if the road really is a deserted road, there won’t be many animals that will get hit.

*4-Same as three.

*5-Not if it is an accident, as it isn’t an act of evil, thus not a sin, thus not immoral.

~After Death~

If I am hungry and I killed a rabbit for my dinner, is it wrong?

If I know that rabbit fur can be sold and I can make a good profit from it, and so I killed the rabbit, stripped it of its fur, and disposed the meat, for which a lonely fox and its litter of cubs got fed for a day, is it wrong?

If rabbits are eating my crops in the field and my crops are my life and my livelihood, and so I put poisoned baits all around my field and rabbits die by the dozen, is it wrong?

If I enjoy the sport of shooting, and I need to train my skills at shooting fast moving targets and I spotted and killed a rabbit in such a training, is it wrong? (And again the fox got fed that day.)

If I have a psychological need to feel in control and having power and killing animals, especially wild and ferocious ones, fulfils such a need, and I killed a rabbit, is it wrong?

If I didnt see a rabbit hopping across a road and I was driving at a safe slow speed and I ran over the rabbit, without even knowing it, is it wrong?

*1-No, your life is definately more important than a rabbit’s, so if it is I am going to die if I don't eat this´ hunger, then no; if it is I am hungry and haven’t eaten in thre hours´ hunger, then yes, it is wrong.

*2-How large of a litter and how often do they get fed? If it was a starving family of five, I would say it is an immoral act (doing it for money) with moral tracings or effects.

*3-No, if it really is your `living and livelihood,´ then you would go poor and die otherwise, thus, it isn’t immoral, the rabbits are eating your food anyway.

*4-How large of a litter and how often do they get fed? If it was a starving family of five, I would say it is an immoral act (shooting it for no reason) with moral tracings or effects.

*5-Yes, there is absolutely no reason for you to be killing the rabbit and nothing prospers afterwards, no lives are saved.

*6-No, and this would apply to if you were going fast, as well. If you are not intending to kill something, but are accidently killing it, no matter how you do so, I wouldn’t consider it immoral. Also, even if you are breaking the speed limit, you probably couldn’t have swurved out of the way to keep from hitting the rabbit anyway, thus, why not save some time?

~After Death~