is america tolerant?

probably not. many would say its foriegn policy is certainly intolerant. but is this the cause of american’s religious undertones, or because america is a liberal nation?

books like huntington’s clash of civilizations and (insert author’s name here) bush at war suggest strongly that america is an extremly christian nation. certainly, the christian coalition is a major interest group at washington. but even in places like the bible belt, towns with only 24000 people will have at least 110 churches (i’m from a small-ish town in canada, we have about 120 000 people and 4 churches, 4). america is religious.

the bush administration, however, is quick to believe that that their intolerance is a product of liberalism. this is a quaint straussian idea. certainly, moder chrisitianity and liberlism share many of the same qualities – toleration being one of them. however, which one makes the country intolerant?

personally, i’m betting that a truly tolerant country would not be so religious. however, this might be self-defeating. i don’t know, any thoughts?

Unfortunately, America is the most tolerant nation in the world.

I wish America would stop tolerating the Muslim enslavement of black Christians and animists in Sudan and Mauritania.

I wish America would stop tolerating Muslim apartheid in Saudi Arabia.

I wish America would stop tolerating the Arab occupation of Lebanon and Israel.

I wish America would stop tolerating Sharia and human rights abuse.

I wish America would stop tolerating cannibalism and bush meat in the Congo.

I wish America would stop tolerating Kim Jong Il’s Nazi death camp at Haengyong.

I wish America would stop tolerating Leftist racism and racist affirmative action discrimination against whites and asians.

Well it depends on which part of America you’re talking about. Most Americans do believe in a god of some sort, but that doesn’t mean they don’t tolerate others’ beliefs. In most major cities people tend to accept one another’s differences (although someone may want to point out the LAPD and racial profiling as a counterexample). You were right though, small-town America tends to equate with small-minded America. But most Americans now live in the suburbs–where they’re close enough to the large population centers to see that not everyone thinks the way they do.

and god I wish the Administrators would stop tolerating you Monk

LOL…yeah I guess Monk sort of validates my existence doesn’t he. Looks like my most profound insights are about him.