The Blair hypocrisy

In todays question session for the pm Blair said that he wanted the nine British civilians in Guantanamo bay to be returned to the UK so they could be tried properly. In the same session he said he wanted the police to have the right to fine people for being drunk and disorderly on the spot. Can anyone else see the hypocrisy here? I can of course see his reasoning but at the same time giving these rights to the police is giving them the right to be prejudiced in their decisions as it essentialy becomes a one or two man jury. Personaly I see the first incidence as essential and the second as an infringement on my rights.

Not if the person is first breathalysed, then there’s little need for anything else. While the lads in camp X-ray are not even been given an opportunity to have an open forum to question the validity of the accusations.

The problem with all of labour’s quick fix schemes is that they’re just tackling the symptoms and not the cause. Why do people get so excessivly drunk and have little respect for property? If you don’t tackle that you just drive the problem in to a running war.

I thought labour had proposed this before where they’d drag you to a cash point and make you cough up when pissed and it had been derided as prepostewrous by the media and public.

Eh, Matt the Conservatives do this alot worse (not that there is much difference these days :wink:). Just look at how crime rocketed under Thatcher and her “tough” policies on crime.

It is perfectly legal to be drunk just as long as you don’t disturb the peace or drive, so testing someone for their level of intoxication doesn’t nessecarily prove them guilty, at least in my country. This is the same in the uk isn’t it?

Giving the police new powers is always a bad move, and tends to enhance a problem, more then it seems to help.“cops take drugs”, and they will simply use new powers to procecute people they dont like. Town disturbances: my simple answer to people that complain about noice, is move. Stop annoying people who are drunk, it always a bad move (you know what its like when your drunk).

Guantanamo bay isnt a good situation for anyone. People are just more and more disliking american policies; fancy not giving someone any rights, when there a country that proudly boasts about there spreading democracy(more a hypocrisy). They need to realise, sept 11th was caused by there maljustice on the islamics also( ok not to the same extent that was publicised ) though they are trying now, by sorting some peaceful evaluation on the palestine and Israel problem; which is a good move for all people.