Win/Win situation for the government.

As I was coming home today there was a semi in front of my car. Instead of the normal metal trailor it had a bed with a huge ply-wood box on it strapped down. This was odd. Against my better judgement I started thinking about the book/movie: The Sum of All Fears. It really would be easy to smuggle a nuke or something into the USA.

My next through was: “Ahh, but the government would warn us. They’d put us on alert or schedule an evacuation or something.”

My next though: “…but would they???”

To evacuate or actually say that a bomb had gotten into the country would result in a mas panic and confusion. I think the government would say nothing. Of course they’d have all their agents out in force looking for it, but they wouldn’t say anything.

It’s a win/win situation: If they find the bomb they can say: “Look at us. We found this bomb! We are smarter than the terrorists. All this new funding for homeland security is working. look at us! Look at us!”

If they don’t find the bomb, and it explodes, they can play dumb about it and liken it to a secon world trade center attack. They could play it as another attack on the helpless America. It would rally Americans and the international community behind us for good. We could take out Iraq and all the other “axises of evil”

~What do you think?

Good thoughts but I only find this a “win/win” situation if the government were more worried about their reputation than millions of lives.

As I mentioned in another recent post, it seems to me that we often think of the government as a seperate entity with different mindsets and goals than our own. I see the government as a group of human beings comprised of patriotic citizens such as ourselves that have the overall welfare of their country in mind in most every decision. Yes, I would agree that they don’t always make the best decisions or the decisions that we would like them to but that doesn’t mean that they are out to get us. Know what I mean? This is really way off topic so maybe I will start a new thread.

Back to your original question Qzxtbvr, I strongly believe that the government / FBI would be more worried about the welfare of the country and the loss of human life than the reputation of their organization. Although, I wouldn’t really dismiss the notion that they might hide that type of information if it were in the best interest of the country. In fact, I’m sure that there is a lot that goes on behind our backs, but I am very skeptical of the many conspiracy theories that make the government out to be against us. Hollywood has really warped our minds in that sense but it does make for interesting movies.

I wouldn’t call it a conspiracy theory. But when you have companies investing large sums of money into election campaigns, they need to get a return on there investment somewhere. I’d say “yes the government has the best interests of the general public”. But, “they all have to make sure they’ll get more money for the next election.” So to think that this won’t colour decisions might be a little naive.

PV

Good point and I agree that is one of the saddest realities of the way the system works. Big business does have some influence in that sense but in the U.S. there are many limitations on campaign funding. However, I don’t think that any government official would compromise the best interest of the country for a personal re-election (at least on major and life dependent decisions). Of course, I could very well be wrong. It’s just that I think of most government officials as patriotic citizens with dreams and plans for their country.

I think ameica lives in fear and the government uses this fear to make themselves more powerfull.

I disagree that the government do whatever is best for the nation (there i mean the citizens). But then, you have to have a concept of what is this ‘best for the nation’. You people that are able to post in this forum have privileges that many other americans don’t. The gorvenment has one mission, to avoid the conflit between classes and to bring as much ‘gold’ as possible to their banks… so they can privilege the privilege classes.

To be honest, i don’t trust any living creature that was ever part of anything related to the american government. Why? Well, simple because they are liars and have been lying since ever. They kill, they create wars using peoples nationalism, ignorance and fear as a support.

If you are interested… most of the people involved with JFK’s government died after 5 years of his death… odd eh? Have you even bothered to find out how much money the american government made during the war selling weapons? And what was the colour of most soldiers who went to Vietnam? Why do you think that Britain and america are so sure that Saddam has weapons of mass destruction?
Oh, maybe you forgot that the CIA sponsored the assassination of Salvador Allende in Chile, putting Pinochet in power for years casing death and tortures of many Chilean citizens, also sponsored right wing dictatorships throughout latin america. What about the embargo in Cuba, where there any countries that have commercial agreements with USA aren’t allowed to make business with Cuba or else they will cut the countries products.

Talking about economy. The USA imposes low taxes of their products in developing countries while the tax on imported products are extremely high. The 3rd world debt was increased when the American government gave loans with absurd taxes to right wing dictators in latin america that weren’t elected by the people, and still, the people pay for the interests, for the loan was paid long time ago.

The censorship and public control (things like the echelon project) are still a big thing to the american intelligence… all to protect the interest of a small elite and industries.

I don’t trust such a filthy government, and I doubt they work for the nation…. Bush is there to prove so… a president that won with less votes than his opponent. And they call america the land of the free. All brainwash propaganda.

I have to say Clementine is making a lot of good points!

I’ve also heard of the US using its Intelligence Agencies to give some American companies advantages when it came to undercutting the competition on large contracts, that would help add lots of new American jobs, and more tax money.

PV

Indeed. Well, the reason why they didn’t sign the Kyoto protocol was because the american companies would have to lose money and Bush is all for the industry.

People are calling Tony Blair Bush’s dog now but that’s not only it. I believe that power came to his head. Now Mr Blair sees himself as the leader of the European countries, the link between them and America. He is going to lead us to war even though 85% of the population is against it… obviously, he does not give a shit for what the whole nation says. You know what’s worse? He has enough power to ignore us,… he has too much power in this country and there is no way we can get rid of him if he has the support of his party.
The other day he said ‘after we sort things out in Iraq, we will go after North Korea’ … i wonder who’s next. Maybe they could try having weapon inspectors in the USA, cos as far as the whole world is concerned, they have more weapons of mass destruction than anyone else AND they have no documents showing were they are and how many they are.

I also wonder… is Latin America and Africa not part of the world? Cos they treat them like they weren’t.

Anyway, politics stinks so much that makes me sick…

I watch that on Priminister’s Question time, it sent a cold shiver down my back. It reminds me of something Bertrand Russell said about a world government.

“The first world government will be corrupt and a dictatorship. But over time it will be slowly reformed.”

I hope he was right about reform!

PV

Would you trust yourself if you were part of the American government? My point being that the government is made up of people just like you and I. Yes, power can easily corrupt a person but the majority of government officials have good intentions(although their intentions may very well be different from your own ideals). The reason that one runs for an office is because they have dreams of making a difference in the world. Agree?

Most of your points, Cle, are conspiracy theories. What reason would the government have for such conspiracies? You have to think about probable cause and motive. So you think the government killed JFK? If so, why? and was it a good enough reason to commit murder? and a good enough reason for the entire government to be in on it? If you were a part of the government, would you have been in on it? You just have to think with a rational approach. People don’t join the government to become murderers and thieves; they join because they have strong beliefs about how to make the world a better place to live. That is one of the benefits that a democraticly based country with a proper balance of power can enjoy. Thats what checks and balances are for, to even out the corruption that power brings. It works and has worked fairly well in every democratic country.

I would agree, as I know this was Hitler’s motivation. But the question is, who will reap the benefits of the difference. I know there are idealists out to change the world, but there are others who just want to have a high-powered job with status. Have you ever read Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs?

I want to see a party-less system were people help each other in the productive running of the State. Rather then constantly taking advantage of bad news to try and win votes for the next election. Where the entire government is made from individuals who have no party affiliations. These people draw up the agenda for local and statewide issues, which they then put to the populace in the form of a vote, which happens once a week. This way the elected officials who make the laws can’t pass them, it’s the populous that decide by casting their vote.

I know there is no perfect system of government. Yet I’m sure that the current system is not the most refined form. We should still be looking for a more productive and fair system.

PV

I wouldn’t be part of the American government.

Yes, they are human beings, however, the desire for power makes us totally different. I must also stress that people like Mr Bush are far too ignorant to be ‘just like’ me.

Well, depends what’s good for you. I haven’t seen the US government doing good to anyone but to certain classes.

Again, making things different doesn’t mean making good. If the American Government were anywhere near willing to change the world for good they would cancel the developing world’s debit. They could end the starvation in Africa if they wanted to. No only the US but the UK too.

JFK had many left wings tendencies and friendship with leftists. He wasn’t what the CIA was expecting as president at that moment.

Apparently, yes.

There were people in favour to JFK… unfortunately they died within 5 years of his assassination. The heads of the CIA were definitely all involved.

As I said, I would no join such government.

You have to check history and facts that are hidden from you.

How old are you again? You are kidding right? That’s the most ingenuous comment I’ve ever heard from you.
Do you think you live in a dream land? Wake up… Whatever they wan’t to hide from you, they will.
Making the world a better place… maybe, but to whom, that’s the questing… not to the majority, i assure you.

Which is not American, considering the last elections.
Do you know Paul Wellstone…? Maybe not. He was called ‘ the conscience of the US Senate’ who worked against Bush’s war campaign and in favour of a peaceful resolution. Considered the most influential opposition to Bush in the mid-term election, driving many in the senate to support him. But guest what?! His wife, daughter, 2 campaigners and himself were killed in a plane crash few days before the elections. Now… I wonder why I couldn’t find the reasons why the plane crashed in the media. The best excuse was… the winds.
You are very wrong to think that your government is showing what they are actually doing. There is much more things hidden between the lines, we are only too busy to link everything.

You said that MOST things I said were conspiracy. Well, the only one you mentioned we JFK. It’s proven that the CIA financially helped the fascist and military dictatorships in Latin America. The other things, you just need to follow the news… well, maybe in America the news papers won’t say ‘US bans Brazilian products because they are they are taxing our products more than we wish them to’… Maybe you could learn another language and read other newspapers.

Do you want to know how much is hidden from you, how many articles are censored? There are many sources, but you could start with this one http://www.indexonline.org/

disinfo.com is also good. as are the books they have published “you are being lied to” and “everything you know is wrong”