Ripples

What are the Geo physical politicla effects of america having a

Republican President
Republican senate
Republican house
etc

all at the same time?

Assuming Republican members of the American legislature are disciplined, there are now no checks and balances against the American executive at federal level. That amounts to a one-party state: totalitarianism.

Though I don’t think these circumstances are as terrifying as some have made out, this is certainly the time for American democracy to stand up for itself. Populism seriously undermines the need of a democracy to engage its citizens with the actions of the state.

The US Supreme Court can and will nullify any extra-Constitutional chicanery, executive, legislative or both. The Constitution can be amended, but it is a laborious process that requires the approval of three-fourths of the states, half of which are controlled by Democrats.

I am a Democrat. This Republican hat trick will produce real problems, but they are functional, not structural.

Yes but ive heard that the republicans will renforce the constitution so that the democrats cant change anything.

The Constitution does not “do” anything. It cannot be “enforced.” The purpose of the Constitution is to impose limits on the power of government.

Suppose the Republicans in Congress (the House and the Senate) pass a bill banning criticism of the President. If Bush signs the bill, it becomes law. The first person convicted under that law (probably me) could appeal his case to the US Supreme Court, which would declare the law a violation of First Amendment guarantees of free speech. Thus, the law is “unconstitutional,” i. e., null, void and of no effect.

The law becomes a dead letter. The “criminal” is released, as are all other “criminals” convicted under that law.

I do not fear the evil intentions of Republicans. I fear their good intentions.