Cultural Relativism

the-tls.co.uk/this_week/stor … y_id=19513

I remember talking to Samoan guy in Japan. The fastest way to piss him off was to mention Margaret Mead. :smiley:

I have no interest in Cultural Relativism (I find it incoherent precisely for the reasons mentioned in this article) but at the same time I do think we need to understand different cultures on their own terms before we blanketly condemn them. I see Cultural Relativism as the flip side of Western Imperialism. We’re not as good as we thought we were, so instead of putting ourselves on a pedastal, we put someone else there. The advantage to this is that ‘we’ becomes the we who condemn the West thereby keeping our Western arrogance intact without having to accept responsibility for Western atrocity. At the same time, when we put someone else on the pedastal, we can be shockingly blind to atrocities committed by them. It’s just us and them all over again.

From the text:

Thanks for the link.

There will always be a segment of the population that defines itself by what it is against rather than what it is for.

When I was 10, I thought my Father was God; when I was 15, I thought he was the devil; when I was 25, I saw him for what he was: an extremely perceptive, restrained and magnanimous individual who was subject to occasional fits of exasperation, most of them triggered by me.

We go from dependence to independence to interdependence.

The “Western bashers” you describe are stuck in the independence stage. They are rebels. Intellectually, they may be mature, but psychologically, they are teenagers.

Rebels do not hate the West. After all, what do they know about it? What they really hate is their tendency to depend on the West. This phenomenon is readily observable in teenagers, who hate their parents for their inclination to need them.

Concerning Mead: I don’t know anybody who takes her seriously anymore. At the end of the day, she substituted advocacy for scholarship.

Well said. Intelligence does not equal maturity.

Now a days, it is normal for people to doubt or not to trust that easily, wherein media is so widespread, that violence is seen on TV every second of every day leading to the influence towards people’s view on society as a whole. So unless the doubting of people, in terms of socialogical, psychological and interpersonal relationships, does not reach its extremes, such as paranoia or narcsism, then I can say cultural relativism is not such a bad thing.

Uh, well, the point was that it was an impossible thing. Don’t confuse cultural relativism with opposition. I see nothing wrong with that.