Blame

Doesn’t it annoy you that we’re in a blame culture where noone can admit they messed up and accept responsibility for it? Take for example the current Labour government, who after about 7 or so years in power are still blaming the Conservatives for their mistakes.

No, not really Jane!

Politics is so complex that I believe that it is virtually impossible to pinpoint many mistakes. So who do you blame? I guess we end up blaming everyone who’s had anything to do with it! So yes, Labour will blame the Conservatives, and maybe the Tories were a major part in whatever problem, but the Conservatives will easily be able to link the decision which caused the problem back to someone else.

My point exactly - they all blame each other!

To blame other people for one’s failings has been classed by psychoanalysts a basic component of human nature, and whilst some people can suppress this tendency, very many others find themselves looking for scapegoats as soon as anything goes wrong. If government represents the people (this is democracy after all), why shouldn’t government be able to behave as human nature dictates?

So you answered your questioning post in your questioning post? Good work janey

If you think about it from the politician’s point view, an admission of guilt is career suicide, so they would never do it!

Surely the worry is that politicians feel the need to blame in the first place, rather than actually get on with dealing with the problems, which supposed to be their function?