British Columbian Independence

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

British Columbian Independence

Postby Gloominary » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 pm

I would like to see British Columbia, my province, become its own country, severing most of its political ties with Canada, as well as the UK.
I'd also like to see it mostly, or wholly socioeconomically self-sufficient.
It shouldn't be a commonwealth of the UK, like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and so on are, it should be fully independent.
The sole official language ought to be English, French shouldn't be an official language, because there's hardly any French people in British Columbia.
As for immigration, we should import as many whites as possible from Europe and elsewhere until our population is about 90% white, after that, we should hardly import anyone from anywhere.
As for the environment, I'm not sure how much of British Columbia has been developed.
If more than 10% of British Columbia has been developed, we should rewild until about !0% of British Columbia has been developed.
Last edited by Gloominary on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Re: British Columbian Independence

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:22 am

Nice dream.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby phyllo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 am

As for immigration, we should import as many people as possible from Europe and only Europe until our population is about 90% white, after that, we should hardly import anyone from anywhere.

In 2016, the total population was 4,648,055 and the visible minority population was 1,651,820. Assuming that the visible minority population stays constant, then to have a 90% white population would require a total population of about 16,518,200. That means you need almost 12 million white immigrants.

That much immigration would have a significant impact on the environment, the culture and the job and housing situation.

Do you really want that many immigrants? Be careful what you wish for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... h_Columbia
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 am

WendyDarling wrote:Nice dream.

Ain't it tho?
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:36 am

phyllo wrote:
As for immigration, we should import as many people as possible from Europe and only Europe until our population is about 90% white, after that, we should hardly import anyone from anywhere.

In 2016, the total population was 4,648,055 and the visible minority population was 1,651,820. Assuming that the visible minority population stays constant, then to have a 90% white population would require a total population of about 16,518,200. That means you need almost 12 million white immigrants.

That much immigration would have a significant impact on the environment, the culture and the job and housing situation.

Do you really want that many immigrants? Be careful what you wish for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... h_Columbia

Perhaps 90% is a little lofty considering, we also want to protect our/the environment.
A 75%-80% white-non-white ratio would be far easier to achieve, we'd only need another 1.5-3 million whites.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

They should hang you for treason.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

barbarianhorde wrote:They should hang you for treason.

You need to be taken out back and shot.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Maybe new non-white immigrants (as in, haven't lived here for 3 years or more) and/or able-bodied long-term unemployed non-white immigrants (as in, haven't worked in 3 years or more) should be given a year to get their things and go back to their country of origin...or wherever, some place else.
We could financially compensate them for their trouble.
And if they refuse, they could be rounded up and deported.
That'd further reduce the non-white population while benefitting, or at least not adversely impacting the economy.

I mean I don't altogether dislike non-whites, it's just there's way too many of them.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:37 pm

That's not a statement of Canadian values. I can't be certain but I don't think it reflects BC values either.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:42 pm

phyllo wrote:
That's not a statement of Canadian values. I can't be certain but I don't think it reflects BC values either.

It probably would've been if I made it in the mid 20th century or earlier.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Gloominary wrote:
phyllo wrote:

It probably would've been if I made it in the mid 20th century or earlier.
Aside for the shameful episodes during the First and Second World Wars, I don't think that it was the attitude at that time. War made them fearful, but it didn't last.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Gloominary » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:18 pm

In 1885, under pressure from British Columbia, a federal law was passed restricting Chinese immigration through the imposition of a head tax (which lasted until 1923) – the first of a series of such measures directed at the Chinese that continued until the late 1940s.

In 1946 the formal ban on Chinese immigration was ended. In 1952, a new Immigration Act continued Canada's discriminatory policies against non-European and non-American immigrants. However, in 1962 Ottawa ended racial discrimination as a feature of the immigration system. In 1967, a points system was introduced to rank potential immigrants for eligibility. Race, colour, or nationality were not factors in the new system; rather, work skills, education levels, language ability (in speaking French or English), and family connections became the main considerations in deciding who could immigrate.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/immigration-policy

Before the 1960s, Canada's immigration policy was designed to keep the country majority white.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby phyllo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:40 am

Gloominary wrote:
In 1885, under pressure from British Columbia, a federal law was passed restricting Chinese immigration through the imposition of a head tax (which lasted until 1923) – the first of a series of such measures directed at the Chinese that continued until the late 1940s.

In 1946 the formal ban on Chinese immigration was ended. In 1952, a new Immigration Act continued Canada's discriminatory policies against non-European and non-American immigrants. However, in 1962 Ottawa ended racial discrimination as a feature of the immigration system. In 1967, a points system was introduced to rank potential immigrants for eligibility. Race, colour, or nationality were not factors in the new system; rather, work skills, education levels, language ability (in speaking French or English), and family connections became the main considerations in deciding who could immigrate.

Before the 1960s, Canada's immigration policy was designed to keep the country majority white.
Yeah. Nothing in those quotes says anything about rounding up people and deporting them. Which is what you are proposing : "And if they refuse, they could be rounded up and deported."
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Gloominary » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:10 am

phyllo wrote:
Gloominary wrote:

Yeah. Nothing in those quotes says anything about rounding up people and deporting them. Which is what you are proposing : "And if they refuse, they could be rounded up and deported."

They didn't have many non-white immigrants, so they didn't need to deport any, but if they did, they probably would have, as Canada, and BC were demonstrably founded on preserving and protecting whiteness.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Return to Society, Government, and Economics