People...God...mask...gun

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

People...God...mask...gun

Postby felix dakat » Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 pm

"Can someone explain to me why the same people who don't need to wear a mask because God will protect them also need an AR-15 because God won't?"

Facebook meme
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Re: People...God...mask...gun

Postby Mad Man P » Thu May 28, 2020 1:38 pm

felix dakat wrote:"Can someone explain to me why the same people who don't need to wear a mask because God will protect them also need an AR-15 because God won't?"

Easy... God controls diseases, the weather, earthquakes and shit like that, but people have free will... god won't stop people from fucking you up... guns might though.

More importantly, this whole god thing kinda falls apart if you question it too closely... like hollywood movies and politics, you gotta turn your brain off to really enjoy it.
Ignorance is bliss and you can't put a price tag on bliss... until we legalize drugs.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Mad Man P
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Thu May 28, 2020 2:51 pm

felix dakat wrote:"Can someone explain to me why the same people who don't need to wear a mask because God will protect them also need an AR-15 because God won't?"

Facebook meme

Could you link to the context?
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Gloominary » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 am

Maybe they think: 'God equipped us with an immune system that gives us adequate protection from viruses like Covid if we take good care of our body (follow God's commandments: eat kosher, don't be a drunkard, glutton, slothful and so on) but he didn't equip us with anything that gives us protection from gunfire'.

IOW, Covid is a natural adversary, and so our natural and traditional defense mechanisms are sufficient, but gunfire is an unnatural adversary, and so our natural and traditional defense mechanisms are insufficient.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Return to The Sandbox