Trump moral? Xians say yes.

Half-formed posts, inchoate philosophies, and the germs of deep thought.

Re: Trump moral? Xians say yes.

Postby Tab » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:13 pm

Why must morality prevail..? Doesn't exactly have a great track record at prevailing so far lol. And which morality are you specifying..?
Tab
Deeply Shallow

Postby felix dakat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:10 pm

Carleas wrote:
felix dakat wrote:How is this possible?

To go back to the original topic, I was thinking more about this, and I think "white evangelicals" are more of an ethnicity than a religion. had a friend growing up who identified as Irish Catholic as his ethnicity, even though he was an avowed atheist. I suspect something similar is going on here: people who describe themselves as 'evangelicals' are talking more about tribal membership than about creed. Taken that way, there's no tension between identifying as an evangelical and supporting a reprehensible incompetent.

Yes there's a long history of people interpreting Christianity according to their ethnocentric interests. This they often do even as they are unconscious of the ethnic biases that underlie their beliefs. White evangelicalism is one more instance of this. And indeed we may ask if there is ever a religion which in practice doesn't do this to some extent.
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
Soren Kierkegaard– Journals, 432
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby Aware-ness » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:39 pm

felix dakat wrote:
Carleas wrote:
felix dakat wrote:How is this possible?

To go back to the original topic, I was thinking more about this, and I think "white evangelicals" are more of an ethnicity than a religion. had a friend growing up who identified as Irish Catholic as his ethnicity, even though he was an avowed atheist. I suspect something similar is going on here: people who describe themselves as 'evangelicals' are talking more about tribal membership than about creed. Taken that way, there's no tension between identifying as an evangelical and supporting a reprehensible incompetent.

Yes there's a long history of people interpreting Christianity according to their ethnocentric interests.

Going all the way back to the Old Testament and the cult of Yahweh only Israelites.
God forgives. Nature doesn't.
"Praying to an otherworldly God is like kissing thru glass." - Paul West
There's a serpent in every paradise.
Aware-ness

Postby MagsJ » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:40 am

Tab wrote:Why must morality prevail..?

Why should it not?

Doesn't exactly have a great track record at prevailing so far lol. And which morality are you specifying..?

..in the general sense of the word.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

Nobilis Est Ira Leonis | Om Surya Devaay namah | Manus justa nardus
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …Suryaloka.. the sun

Postby MagsJ » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Will Christians (and all other Faiths and Religions) say Yes, if faced with a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination?

If there is a global mandatory vaccine, there is already talk of needing to know what is in it.. right down to the very last ingredient and base solution, as most anaesthetists don’t even know what is in anaesthetic.. even though we are told to confer with them to discuss any concerns and allergies we may have.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ

Nobilis Est Ira Leonis | Om Surya Devaay namah | Manus justa nardus
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek

Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … …Suryaloka.. the sun

Postby felix dakat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm

See if you can spot a trend among today's New York Times Headlines:
Mail Delays Fuel Concern Trump Is Undercutting Postal System Ahead of Voting
John Lewis Was the Anti-Trump
Trump’s Coronavirus Testing Chief Concedes a Lag in Test Results
Trump Still Defers to Putin, Even as He Dismisses U.S. Intelligence and the Allies
More Than Just a Tweet: Trump’s Campaign to Undercut Democracy
Does Trump Want to Save His Economy?
The purpose of my life would seem to be to express the truth as I discover it, but in such a manner that it is completely devoid of authority. By having no authority, by being seen by all as utterly unreliable, I express the truth and put everyone in a contradictory position where they can only save themselves by making the truth their own.
felix dakat
Janitor

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Never ending fake news is their trend.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby felix dakat » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:09 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Never ending fake news is their trend.

Or at least that's how it looks in Hades.
felix dakat
Janitor

Previous

Return to The Sandbox